Gas 42 53.16%
Electric 33 41.77%
Other 4 5.06%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Gas or Electric ?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #61
Dryer sheet aficionado

Gas or Electric ?

My wife and I have had both. We perfer gas. It is easier to cook with. But since you are remodeling why not have both connections installed, that way you can change if you don't like what you went with Just my 2cents.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
I went from a 1950's era Caloric gas oven last year to this:

http://www.commercial.sears.com/coms...c/22-75603.pdf
Curious - what is Sabbath mode on your stove? does it have to do with the ignition system or heat in a quiet and reverential style? Really not getting an idea of what it could be...

OH Google: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.11/kosher.html

" A retired helicopter engineer who is himself Orthodox, Ottensoser teaches Sabbath law to technical teams at companies like General Electric, Electrolux, and Viking. His job: to guide them in building electronic brains and mechanical guts that are Sabbath-compliant. Ottensoser works for Star-K, a nonprofit that certifies food products as kosher. Of several hundred kosher agencies in the world, Star-K is the only one that certifies technology, and Ottensoser is the firm's only appliance consultant. That makes him the world's lone kosher geek, the man tasked with certifying that the movement of every electron in an appliance is sanctioned by God.
Since he was hired seven years ago, Ottensoser has helped nine companies design Sabbath modes for more than 300 types of ovens and stoves, and dozens of refrigerators. When the feature is enabled, lights stay off and displays are blank; tones are silenced, fans stilled, compressors slowed. In a kosher fridge, there's no light, no automatic icemaker, no cold-water dispenser, no warning alarm for spoiled food, no temperature readout. Basically, Ottensoser converts your fancy - and expensive - appliance into the one your grandma bought after World War II.
One of the hardest parts of Ottensoser's job is explaining to engineers the intricacies of Jewish law. He starts by focusing on the concept of indirect action. Sabbath law prohibits Jews from performing actions that cause a direct reaction; that would qualify as forbidden work. But indirect reactions are, well, kosher. In Hebrew, this concept is called the gramma. There are two types of grammas, Ottensoser tells me. Say you hit a light switch, but it doesn't come on immediately - that's a time delay, a time gramma. There's also a gramma of mechanical indirectness, like a Rube Goldberg contraption in which a mouse turns a wheel that swings a hammer that turns a key that launches a rocket. You can't claim the mouse actually launches the rocket.
Ottensoser gets manufacturers to build the easier time gramma into their products. Rabbis differ on how much of a delay is required; the Star-K rabbinical authority, Moshe Heinemann, authorizes a 5-second lag. To be on the safe side, Ottensoser increased the delay to 15 seconds and a random wait of as much as 10 seconds. Why? "An indirect action is one where you can't predict what's going to happen," he says".

Old 11-23-2009, 09:51 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The apartment has one of those low-end 4-burner (only 1 big one) electric stoves. It doesn't even have a dang clock! The funny thing is I have done a ton of cooking on it since we moved in 3 months ago. What I discovered was it wasn't about the appliance......it was about having the time to use it!
Old 11-23-2009, 11:29 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I checked "other" because I can use EITHER. I have a Meile cooktop that has three units, one two-burner electric, one two-burner gas, one electric grill. On the deck I have a gas grill. The best of all worlds, and when the power goes out I just light the gas with a match. Life is good.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:37 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

For the new house I am going all gas. The gas oven will be true convection also, and that should help maintain even heating.

I hadn't thought about the moist heat of gas versus the dry heat of electric in the oven. The model I am considering gets excellent baking ratings from consumer reports.

They make "duel fuel" ranges now too - gas cooktop and electric oven. I hadn't really considered that option.

Audrey
Old 11-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #66
Dryer sheet wannabe

We have a dual fuel range. Gas stovetop, electric oven. Best of both worlds.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

So, are electric ovens really better?
Old 11-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #68
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
So, are electric ovens really better?
I'm no expert, but I've read that electric ovens have more precise temperature control.