Know your neighbors?

Huh...the neighbors thing is interesting. We've lived here less than a year and I didn't know the name of any of our neighbors.

The weird thing is that it says that there are 3 people at our house. It lists my husband and me. It doesn't list our 16 year old daughter or our 18 year old son. What it does list is our older son who has never lived in this house. In fact, he hasn't lived with us in 2 years so have no idea how his name got listed on there.

Both of those sites are really fun!

The pic of our house from google street view is fresh, taken in Sept, while we had our RV in the driveway briefly.

The Streetview shows a corner about 2 blocks away. The Neighbors site shows no information, with an aerial view of a building site, which is about 5 years out of date. Whew!

Almost 3 years after we bought our other house, it still shows the former residents. It really does not matter. My neighbors know me and I know them.

ummmm...somewhat interesting. My house (which we've lived in for 20 years) shows that it is occupied by my mother and my brother (not even close to being true). The house next door says that it is occupied by the former owner who died 55 years ago.

Nice site. I have been chatting with a neighbor across the alley for years when we take our dogs out late at night. I didn't remember his name and felt dumb asking since it has been so long. Now that I see it, I remember him telling me long ago. :) Another neighbor who I know well (from the former Yugoslavia) has a last name that is spelled so different than pronounced that I never would have put the two together.

Wildly inaccurate for our neighborhood, too.

+1 The street view is from the road at the top of the hill and not the road that we actually live off of. Many of the neighbors are inaccurate or outdated. Limited usefulness to me.

I don't exist, which is just fine with me.

Interesting - just about all of the houses have at least one piece of missing or incorrect information. But handy to know about.

Don't know if anyone noticed... The website is derived from "whitepages", which has been around for many years, thus the old information, or lack thereof. Many years ago, when most phones were landlines, the address info may have come from the phonebook. Don't know where the age and "friends" info came from.

One of the parts that I thought was interesting, was that anyone can add info to the site (or correct current info). Hmmm...

What I really enjoyed, was putting in the addresses of places where we used to live... to see if any of our old neighbors or their kids were still around. Some surprises... Found the names of neighbors on Martha's Vineyard, in Vineyard Haven, who were there back in 1960. Still in the same house. Going back 50 years, and seeing the houses and neighborhoods we lived in, brings back fond memories...
In the neighborhood where we grew up... 70+ years ago, found familiar names and houses that look exactly the way they looked back then.
Scrolling around the neighborhood streets in QSView, found stores and theaters, and even the ice cream parlor that DW and I went to when we were 12 years old.

Note... If Street View has not come to your area, there will be no pics. Our current location only became available in the past 5 or 6 months.

I haven't dug into this to know, but suspect that Zillow and other sites that provide photos also come from Street View, and where not available, from the satellite view, including the close up "Bird's Eye View".

If the googlemobile goes by your house, go outside and wave.... :)

Last edited:
I'm not about to put my address into an internet window query. After that how is the information used?

If the googlemobile goes by your house, go outside and wave.... :)

A few years ago I saw the Google Car twice in one day and later when our area was updated, there I was, parked at my School Crossing Guard post!

I saw it again last year (at my current Crossing Guard post) but this area hasn't been updated yet.

Google Maps/Earth have been building this from the start. They're not quite there yet, but getting close. It accurately showed a street view of my parents house, but only showed an aerial of our house, and missed us be two lots. I'm sure there will come a day when "they" have us all nailed...big brother is watching you.

And the whitepages link got us and our neighbors names right - a little scary, though (ironically) they showed our landline number, we dropped that at least 5 years ago.

Last edited:
Who Watches the Watchers? I'll worry when we can from our devices watch, and zoom into, any and every location live, in real-time, in living color.

They got most of our neighbors, but no names for our house, which is nice.

We've been here a long time, maybe no recent house purchase to link us to the address, but we're in the phone book. Couldn't be too hard to find the info.

Half the people were wrong and our address is in some random backyard. But we can look up property owners online at our county assessor.

A couple of things -either my neighbor changed wives or we've been calling her the wrong name for several years. A neighbor who died about 2 years ago is still listed even though the house sold immediately.
Also, my house is not worthy of a street view, but that's ok I know what it looks like.

Site has a lot of correct info for my neighborhood but also appears to be about 3 years behind as far as sales and new neighbors are concerned.

Back
Top Bottom