Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Leave it to Texas...
Old 02-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

hello?! the governor's former chief of staff is now a lobbyist for merck

not sure the public health was on the top of the list and i refuse to use my daughters as a part of this "public" study...

remember when they used to spray ddt in the streets? or all the drugs that have been given to pregnant women that resulted in malformities? i'll wait 20 years or so to see what happens and then consider if it's a good idea for my grand daughters...in the mean time seems like the pap test and loads of quality sex ed will do for now.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Lets consider the risk-reward of selling...what...20-30 million doses of a vaccine which generally arent big cash cows vs a lawsuit brought by the parents of 20-30 million 12 year olds who got sick from it because the drug company hid something or was deceptive, or even half-assed about the research.

Granted theres a huge margin of plausibility in half-assedness around these days... :

The reward simply isnt there for evil merck to take the chance.

Similarly, the politicos that put this in place must realize the risk they're taking. Not sure some campaign contributions or other evil intent possibilities outweigh the specter of never working in politics again because YOU ran through the laws that gave killer vaccines to everyones teenage daughters.
I don't think these arguments are really very compelling unless you can fill in the precise $ amounts that each VP and politico is going to get personally and the time constant before serious problems might show up.

Here's another question I have: Is Texas the only state where this is happening?

Old 02-06-2007, 01:47 PM   #83

news in south florida last night is that this is now on the table here. but in fort lauderdale we won't be shooting up the gay kids because they won't be spreading it to all the cervixes (whatever that is?--and don't bother telling me; i really don't wanna know).

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
news in south florida last night is that this is now on the table here. but in fort lauderdale we won't be shooting up the gay kids because they won't be spreading it to all the cervixes (whatever that is?--and don't bother telling me; i really don't wanna know).
Ok, if you don't wanna know, I won't tell you. ;-D

That said, (and maybe Rich can help us sort out what virus causes what and which vaccines treat what)-- I have read that some of these viruses also cause genital warts in both men and women, and in vary rare cases, anal and penile cancer in men.

Also, for those who want to know, they can in some cases complicate pregnancy and affect newborns.

I get this info from the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-H...men.htm#cancer

Whatever the case, it's great to be having a reasoned discussion about this.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
Whatever the case, it's great to be having a reasoned discussion about this.
Really? Based on this statement you made:

Quote:
if you don't HAVE the affected organ, then why on earth would you care what vaccine was being given to whom? Lots of vaccines are required -- the only reason to mention this one is if you're in line for it or if you've got another agenda.
According to your quote, the only people having a reasonable discussion about this should be women...why the sudden change? Having a real hard time reconciling those statements...
Old 02-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #86

i don't think the drug companies should be able to advertise the way they do these days either - whatever drugs you take should be between you and your doctor...based on your health etc...

i just keep thinking of how many drugs we have seen advertised the past decade that got pulled because of problems - like vioxx, or the weight loss one celebrex? or the "patch" female contraceptive - which some of my friends tried or used - that is also being pulled -

and i'm seriously concerned about hpv and hpv awareness - hpv i have a sister and close friends who have hpv and have had serious complications because of it - but none of that sways me to think it's a good idea to shoot up our young girls without reams and reams of more data - both women could have prevented the hpv with safer sex and regular paps btw.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:29 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed
i don't think the drug companies should be able to advertise the way they do these days either - whatever drugs you take should be between you and your doctor...based on your health etc...
If you only knew the time I have spent de-educating patients from the implied messages in the direct-to-consumer ads. I love well-informed patients, but not those whose primary source of knowledge is the latest ad in Newsweek.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:17 PM   #88
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
... with likelihood in the foreseeable future of cervical cancer virus, AIDS, and malaria being amenable to immunizations.

There's not much money to be made in vaccines by doctors or hospitals but from a societal perspective there represent serious benefits.
IMO, a malaria vaccine would transform the world. I once was a foot soldier (vampire) in a malaria survey in the southern Carribean. Seemed like every other person had plasmodium this or that. It ruined the whole society.

Ha
Old 02-06-2007, 08:11 PM   #89

The idea that profit is not a big motivator for vaccine policy seems to be questioned by a fairly large number of sources -- including statements from the pharmaceutical industry. There also is a pretty questionable past history with safety and effectiveness of many vaccines. Of course I can't vouch for all of these sources, but there is a lot of information and data out there about this topic.

Does anyone understand why the urgent push from Texas?

Glaxo signs US deal to boost vaccine profits
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...icle387135.ece
“Glaxo Smith Kline is spending $300m (£157m) to buy Corixa Corporation, an American vaccine-technology business, in a move that will greatly improve the prospective profitability of one of its most important pipeline products.
Corixa, based in Seattle, makes and supplies the British pharmaceutical giant with adjuvants — additives that encourage a better response to vaccines from the body’s immune system. The most important is the MPL adjuvant used in Cervarix, a vaccine for cervical cancer that Glaxo is counting on for future growth. . .”

Vaccine Industry Growing Amid Increased Funding, Higher Profits
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medi...p?newsid=61874“The Los Angeles Times on Sunday examined "a boom in vaccine discovery and development" prompted by advances in technology, "increased funding and higher profits." . . .”

Coverage & Access | Vaccine Industry Growing Amid Increased Funding, Higher Profits
http://www.kaisernetwork.org/daily_r...fm?DR_ID=42563

Vaccinating For Profit - From Cradle to Coffin
http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com...ne-profit.html

Profits, Not Science, Motivate Vaccine Mandates
http://www.wellbeingjournal.com/profits-vaccines.htm

Dispelling Vaccination Myths
http://www.mercola.com/2001/aug/18/vaccine_myths.htm

The US flu vaccine crisis: a debacle for profit-based medicine
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2004/oc...flu1-o26.shtml

Old 02-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
IMO, a malaria vaccine would transform the world. I once was a foot soldier (vampire) in a malaria survey in the southern Carribean. Seemed like every other person had plasmodium this or that. It ruined the whole society.
It's the modern day plague. We are haughty about it here, but worldwide it's hell.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMcDonald
Really? Based on this statement you made:

According to your quote, the only people having a reasonable discussion about this should be women...why the sudden change? Having a real hard time reconciling those statements...
In Caroline's defense, in the same post you quoted she also wrote that this same disease can affect men as well, so perhaps that would change her mind.

Your selective reading and/or quoting strikes me as mean-spirited.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #92

>>Your selective reading and/or quoting strikes me as mean-spirited.

I am the OP; I put the article out for discussion and was *promptly* informed that I had no right to have an opinion because I did not have a cervix, or to be more specific:

Quote:
if you don't HAVE the affected organ, then why on earth would you care what vaccine was being given to whom? Lots of vaccines are required -- the only reason to mention this one is if you're in line for it or if you've got another agenda.
Read the thread from the beginning and then decide who became mean-spirited when.

Its only after about 5 pages of posts she suddenly decide that perhaps men, after all, do have a right to an opinion. Of course she never bothered to let us in on what my "secret agenda" was. I can only assume that she has mystical mind-reading powers that let her read other peoples thoughts thru the internet.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:49 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

...and then we all got over it and realized there was no solution to this issue through discussion, although there was probably a lot of good information put forward by accident during the process?

My local paper ran a reader poll on this yesterday

"Should other states follow the example of Texas and mandate girls be vaccinated against a sexually transmitted disease that can cause cervical cancer?

Date: 02-02-2007 - 02-05-2007

Yes, the HPV vaccine can target and prevent cervical cancer. 102 Votes(31%)
No, widespread vaccination programs could encourage premarital sex. 28 Votes(8%)
Vaccinations should be offered, but parents could opt out if they object because of religious beliefs. 204 Votes(61%)"

Of course, after reading an article on the code availability of the new fangled plastic water pipes (pex) that have a 25 year success story and are required by building code in high stress applications...25% voted that they would never consider them over copper in their home.

I'm still trying to work out the rationalization as to how something required by code when used in "problem situations" is somehow perceived to be inferior in everyday applications.

Funny people.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:58 AM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Copper = Mercedes

Plastic = Hyundai

Hyundai has a better service record, but many middle class perception of what luxury is...
Old 02-07-2007, 12:02 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

I suppose, yet the plastic stuff is superior in every way to copper, far cheaper and easier to install...and the only downside is that it releases PCB's when it burns.

My guess is that a pipe full of water under pressure isnt going to burn very well, or for a long time.

Heck, its could turn out to sort of be a nice ghetto internal sprinkler system...your plumbing catches fire, melts and puts the fire out!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:39 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMcDonald
>>Your selective reading and/or quoting strikes me as mean-spirited.

I am the OP; I put the article out for discussion and was *promptly* informed that I had no right to have an opinion because I did not have a cervix, or to be more specific:

Read the thread from the beginning and then decide who became mean-spirited when.

Its only after about 5 pages of posts she suddenly decide that perhaps men, after all, do have a right to an opinion. Of course she never bothered to let us in on what my "secret agenda" was. I can only assume that she has mystical mind-reading powers that let her read other peoples thoughts thru the internet.
Ahh. I have this thing where I read what everyone writes but in general I don't pay attention to who says what, so knowing you're the OP and the one who Caroline pointed out as having an "agenda" helps me.

FWIW, I agree more with your position -- I think that men and women should have input on each other's health issues, especially in the context of marriage or parenting.

At any rate, I can see her "agenda" comment has you bent out of shape, so I'll just bow out now and let the two of you sort it out. I don't think my interjection helped the matter much.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #97
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

An interesting item from the Dallas Morning News:

This just in from former [Texas] Democratic gubernatorial nominee Chris Bell, who wants women's health advocates to get loud in defense of Gov. Rick Perry's order for girls to receive a vaccine to prevent cervical cancer:

"For years, Rick Perry has earned our opposition," Mr. Bell says in a blast email. "Right now, with women's health at stake, he has earned our support, and without sacrificing the right to oppose him in the future, we must offer that support."

Last September, Mr. Bell vowed that if elected he would issue an executive order mandating that girls receive the human papillomavirus vaccine. In today's email, he said supporters of such a mandate have been "awfully quiet." He said if such folks don't defend Mr. Perry, "then we're the ones putting politics ahead of women's health."

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Score one for Texas!
Old 02-08-2007, 06:20 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Score one for Texas!
One what?
Old 02-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, how on this forum, does one point out that we are circling a campfire that has long since burned out, will never reach agreement nor convert one another, and therefore should yell "Uncle"?