Linux distro recommendation

^^ Yes...I think it all works on Chrome (not sure about Chromium) in Lubuntu.

Big thanks again for the help...
Now that it's up and running, I've decided to do what I never do... "read the instructions"...

Going to try Chromium...

The bios issue was setting the boot to the USB HDD... Shows 2 on the system, and I put them first in the boot order, but for whaever reason, it was jumping past to the DVD drive... and then the hard drive. Frustrating. Finally got it to work, but don't know how or why.

Am keeping the dual boot because I don't expect to use Linux... too addicted to the whole Google package... Drive, voice, sheets etc etc.... and syncing with four computers and three tablets.
Did you check the BIOS version? You may be able to get an upgrade that straightens out some of the boot "weirdness." No guarantee, though. Just have to try stuff, and see what works.

I think I recall Chromium is right there in the software updates, so should install with little difficulty. There are plenty of links that have instructions specific for your Ubuntu version. Of course there are snags, but you can fix things up.

You will be much better off ditching Windows XP, unless there are some irreplaceable programs on your notebook.

imoldernu: regardless of how this works out, it is good exercise for your mind. Problem solving like this generates new neural connections!

Yeah... maybe if I work at it a little harder, I'll be able to follow the very simple instructions as shown in this thread... How to install Chrome::::cool:

How to install Chrome browser properly via command line? - Ask Ubuntu

Yeah... I know... I've been otherthinking this easy stuff. :(
That's a confusing page, for sure. Many instructions are like that, in that there may or may not be follow up and correction.

I usually search and read a few hits to see what's really happening. There are more than a few readers on this forum who will try out whatever you want, and see what happens.

One thing that I've been doing to help myself get re-acquainted with linux is to keep a text file on the desktop, and try to log what works, and what it intends to do. Rather than just following along with an untested set of instructions from a recommended web page, I take the time to copy the steps into the text file, and take a few moments to comment the instructions. Then I copy commands from my text file to command line. Did it work? If not, I usually search for whatever errors are coming up in my command window, and try to mitigate those. If it worked, I move on to the next step.

I think the LiveDVD/USB options are good for people who might be new to Linux distributions ("Linux" is really the kernel only) and wonder what it's like or specialized short-term use like in training sessions at conferences where attendees bring their own laptops.

I have an old G4 Powerbook (!) that I only keep alive for iTunes. When I get a newer Apple desktop, I'll wipe the Powerbook and install a Linux distribution on it - no dual-boot or virtual machines.

Last edited:
If you need Chrome go to:
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/
it will download a file like "google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb" (for 64 bit processor, .deb for Debian which is for Ubuntu) to your "/home/yourname/Downloads" folder.
Double click and it will install.
I have both Chrome and Chromium installed.

'nother update...
No idea how it happened, but after trying different things... like where is the "run" command, or what a PPA or sudo is... did something that made the screen go black... got frustrated, went to the kitchen for a cup of coffee, and then, five minutes later came back to the computer...

... then, what to my wondering eyes did apppear, but the full version of Chrome, not Chromium... right there in front of me... Chrome, in all its' glory.:dance:

... and all's right with the world.

Came up, synced, and working faster and better than it ever did on that old machine. Successful entry into the world of Linux. Now I can go in and look at the instructions.

thanks again.:flowers:

Last edited:
The key is coffee. You were missing the coffee, imoldernu! Keep that in mind for the future my friend. Coffee first! :)

linux works very well on old hardware. You don't have to use the command line but it is extremely useful. As a systems administrator I couldn't live without it and spend as much time there as in the GUI. It was several years before linux distros provided a GUI as standard install ( around '97 or so when Xfree was cross compiled ).

Your "run" command is available by opening a terminal window ( or console ). sudo is a great tool ( another item wintendoze is missing ) for allowing specific access to progams and admin tools..

There is a built in help system on unix system called man ( or manual pages ). Each command has a man pages. Type "man sudo" in the console window will bring up the man page for sudo

Here's a command summary link, An A-Z Index of the Bash command line | SS64.com

There's lots of info for linux ( really unix ) newbs on the web. Here's an intro UNIX / Linux Tutorial for Beginners

After rebuilding the two computers that got trashed when I tried to install Windows 10... (just finished), I loaded "Mint" on to an older computer, and managed to get Chromium, which works well for browsing.

So far it does what I need, but I've decided that learning commands is too much for this old brain...

What I thought should be a simple question turned into more that what I want to do... My question was, how big is the hard drive, and how much is being used.
I thought a no brainer... :facepalm:

Heck, I couldn't even find the file manager until someone told me it was packed in with the "trash" folder... But the file manager didn't help anyway, so i found a website that promised an easy way to find out the answer to my question.

For non-linux users.... You might enjoy reading the simplified instructions for finding the size of your hard drive.

ubuntu - Get total size of my hard drive in Linux, using the command line, without root permissions? - Super User

:)

So far it does what I need, but I've decided that learning commands is too much for this old brain...

What I thought should be a simple question turned into more that what I want to do... My question was, how big is the hard drive, and how much is being used.
I thought a no brainer... :facepalm: ...

It is every bit as simple (maybe simpler?) as in any OS I've worked with - you took the complicated path.

The apps "gparted" and/or "disks" give you that and more in a totally GUI format. I would think one or both would be part of the Mint installation, but iff not, just install them. In Ubuntu, I found them both in the "Ubuntu Software Center" - just search for disk utilities, click to install, and then go at it.

You don't need the command line for this (though some may choose to use it).

Here are links specific to Mint:

gparted - Linux Mint Community

gnome-disk-utility - Linux Mint Community

-ERD50

I'm a newcomer to linux, started a little over 2 months ago when I decided that an old HP desktop computer with 1 Gig memory and using windows XP was really too far gone and unsafe for any serious use so I would try Linux. I started out with Linux Mint Cinnamon version. Downloaded ISO and then burned the ISO image into a bootable DVD which I installed along windows XP. Much to my surprise the whole thing worked just fine with the old computer. I then took windows XP out and did a full install of Linux mint Cinnamon.

I then caught the "distro" bug (different flavors or front ends to a linux operating system) Kind of like getting the same basic car except that this version has manual transmission, sports suspension and a V8 while this other one has a V6 and automatic, and a cushy ride.

I've tried 6 distros so far:

Linux Mint in Cinnamon, KDE and XFCE versions and,
Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu which are the corresponding versions based on Ubuntu

I should mention that Linux mint is also based on the Ubuntu version of Linux but from what I've read has a more "conservative" approach in that it values stability over having the latest twists and it adds a lot of software and tweaks that are unique to Linux Mint.

What I've found is that I really don't need to use the command terminal at all to get things done. But it's there if I want to use it and it's very efficient.

For my old computer I've found that the XFCE versions (Linux Mint XFCE and Xubuntu) are far faster and speedier than the other versions. My old HP computer really flies with those distro versions. I prefer Linux Mint XFCE over Xubuntu because I like the software that comes with mint and I like having the menu bar at the bottom of the screen as it is for windows XP.

Lately I have been playing with the KDE version of Linux mint as well as with Kubuntu. These versions are not as speedy as XFCE on my computer but they are so customizable and have so many widgets and gadgets and fun toys that I find them very entertaining just to play with.

Thanks...
Am guessing y'all sensed my irritation at the "command" stuff... Now I see that there may be an easier way. Will try those "install" sites. Looks like Google Play type of installs. I may be able to handle that.

The idea of having to use typed commands is a spoiler for me, as my typing ability has gone south, since having the numbness of polyneuropathy. Takes me twice as long to type and correct errors as it did a year ago. I hate the sloppy errors, but they happen.. a lot!.

Currently trying to sync my Google accounts and work through the home networking.

Since my old machine has a 400gig drive, am going to try to install the Linux version of Plex, and use it for movie and music storage.

Maybe I just needed a little sympathy... like, imagine trying to teach your 80 year old mom, or aunt .... the simplicity of linux when they've been used to windows 8.1.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Maybe I just needed a little sympathy... like, imagine trying to teach your 80 year old mom, or aunt .... the simplicity of linux when they've been used to windows 8.1.
Unfortunately, I don't think Linux and simple quite mesh (unless you're talking about something like Chrome OS). Windows isn't simple either but if you're already used to the quirks, it works fine more or less.

I gave mom, dad and grandma iPads. :cool: I'm still working so I don't quite have the time to teach them the intricacies of Linux. Specially given I occasionally need guidance myself and the community's generally not particularly n00b-friendly. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I don't think Linux and simple quite mesh (unless you're talking about something like Chrome OS). Windows isn't simple either but if you're already used to the quirks, it works fine more or less.

I gave mom, dad and grandma iPads. :cool: I'm still working so I don't quite have the time to teach them the intricacies of Linux. Specially given I occasionally need guidance myself and the community's generally not particularly n00b-friendly. :rolleyes:

I think that what is confusing to a newby ( it was/is to me) about Linux is that there are so many different distributions and "flavors" available that it's overwhelming. Where do you start? It's as if every version of Windows, Mac as well as DOS and CPM for good measure were currently available from a multitude of vendors, each calling themselves Microsoft A, B, C etc.

And then there are the rabbit holes like the one Imoldernu went in by using the terminal mode to start out.

But it doesn't have to be that way. I guess I was lucky in that I started with a group (linux mint) that offers stable and well documented distributions as well as a friendly forum with useful information Linux Mint Forums • Index page

I have found some other Linux forums, such as Ubuntu's to be less friendly with some answers to newbys being of the sort "we already answered that - do a search" so you can have the pleasure of slogging thru hundreds of posts that may or may not be related to one's problem.http://forums.linuxmint.com/

A little late, but after poking around, I found Eli... who spoke to me. :dance:

...a starter guide to get over the first hump.

But it doesn't have to be that way. I guess I was lucky in that I started with a group (linux mint) that offers stable and well documented distributions as well as a friendly forum with useful information Linux Mint Forums • Index page

I have found some other Linux forums, such as Ubuntu's to be less friendly with some answers to newbys being of the sort "we already answered that - do a search" so you can have the pleasure of slogging thru hundreds of posts that may or may not be related to one's problem.http://forums.linuxmint.com/
Yeah, Linux Mint is the only distro I'd recommend for those new to Linux. It's fairly new, though. I started my foray into Linux in the 90s with Red Hat and Slackware. Ubuntu wasn't even an option back then much less Mint. Finding drivers used to be my biggest headache with Linux.

I have Mint installed on one of my Mini-ITX builds but alas, haven't had much time to tinker with it due to work. I like my work. I just wish I had more free time to devote to my hobbies. :(

Yeah, Linux Mint is the only distro I'd recommend for those new to Linux. It's fairly new, though. I started my foray into Linux in the 90s with Red Hat and Slackware. Ubuntu wasn't even an option back then much less Mint. Finding drivers used to be my biggest headache with Linux.

I have Mint installed on one of my Mini-ITX builds but alas, haven't had much time to tinker with it due to work. I like my work. I just wish I had more free time to devote to my hobbies. :(

That's why ER is so wonderful! Work interferes with life WAY too much!:D

I have found Linux Mint to be absolutely wonderful when it comes to drivers. Old printers, new printers different digital cameras etc, everything I've tried so far works right away without issues.

Thanks...
Am guessing y'all sensed my irritation at the "command" stuff... Now I see that there may be an easier way. Will try those "install" sites. Looks like Google Play type of installs. I may be able to handle that.

The idea of having to use typed commands is a spoiler for me, as my typing ability has gone south, since having the numbness of polyneuropathy. Takes me twice as long to type and correct errors as it did a year ago. I hate the sloppy errors, but they happen.. a lot!.
Helpful hint: Control-C to copy text, Shift-Control-V to paste text in the terminal window. (Using Ubuntu)
Also drag a file from the file browser to the terminal, the file path will be typed for you in the terminal.

That's why ER is so wonderful! Work interferes with life WAY too much!:D

I have found Linux Mint to be absolutely wonderful when it comes to drivers. Old printers, new printers different digital cameras etc, everything I've tried so far works right away without issues.
Yep, would love to FIRE. Alas, I'm still working on the FI part. :blush: Besides, I need to be able to fund my hobbies during retirement, somehow. :rolleyes:

Yep, would love to FIRE. Alas, I'm still working on the FI part. :blush: Besides, I need to be able to fund my hobbies during retirement, somehow. :rolleyes:

I hear you. LBYM and simple consistent/persisting investing with a defined AA that feels comfortable has worked for many, myself included. Best of luck :greetings10:

I hear you. LBYM and simple consistent/persisting investing with a defined AA that feels comfortable has worked for many, myself included. Best of luck :greetings10:
Thanks! Yeah, LBYM and consistent savings are what I'm doing although my savings rate is just at 15-25% (not counting pension contributions). I find that's a good balance of enjoying myself some now but hopefully still saving enough for future me to enjoy. I could likely go higher on the savings rate but I'll probably start feeling deprived which wouldn't be fun at all. :rolleyes:

In fairness, I'm strictly on a 40-hour week schedule so no 60-hour workweeks for me unless it's due to overtime. I also get vacation and quite a number of holidays. However, with family obligations, it still doesn't feel like enough free time. :blush:

Back
Top Bottom