Love or Hate Cilantro

cilantro

I have always loved the fresh taste of cilantro. That being said, we live in an area of the country that have been invaded by stink bugs. Ever since a relative mentioned that cilantro smells like stink bugs I haven't been able to enjoy as much. I love the taste but not the smell :'(

I love cilantro!

Not sure if it came up in last year's thread, but wanted to make sure that its cousin culantro got a mention. Also known as recao (Puerto Rico) or chandon beni (Trinidad).

Cilantro is delicate and likes cooler weather, but culantro is found throughout the tropics due to its hardy nature. We switch to this when traveling in the Caribbean, Central & South America.

The leaves are different and a bit tougher; it grows more like lettuce. The flavor is identical to cilantro if not stronger. I grow it in a pot to always have it handy and can sometimes find it in the grocery stores in the US.

It's wonderful with tacos/salsa of course, but also on coconut lime soup found in Thai and Colombian cuisine, for example.

DW and I feel the same way about Brussels sprouts-even bacon cannot save them:LOL:

+1
DGF and I don't like Brussel Sprouts at all and they are getting more popular as side dishes.

Never heard of culantro. I wonder if I would find the taste objectionable? I suppose if the flavor is derived from basically the same chemistry it would make sense it would. But if it was different it would be a good substitute in recipes. I'll have to look for it, probably not readily available in the mid-west.

Never heard of culantro. I wonder if I would find the taste objectionable? I suppose if the flavor is derived from basically the same chemistry it would make sense it would. But if it was different it would be a good substitute in recipes. I'll have to look for it, probably not readily available in the mid-west.

According to this article, culantro has the same taste response in individuals that don't like cilantro.

https://www.lovingpho.com/pho-ingredients-garnishes/culantro-herb-in-pho/

They used a very strange analogy for the smell, "Just like cilantro, culantro has a pungent odor that can be reminiscent of crushed bedbugs."

:confused: Wouldn't know if that is true or not, nor do I care to. For the record, I do like the smell of cilantro/culantro.

I started a thread on Culantro a few days ago.

Not too many people know about this herb, apparently. I can eat it, but not crazy about it. It does not taste like cilantro to me.

I have not seen many dishes using it, but then I have not been to Central America where it's supposed to be popular.

See: http://www.early-retirement.org/for...estrian-cilantro-how-bout-culantro-98455.html

Thx - will check out that thread.

As another example, culantro is used to make sofrito, the base for all Puerto Rican dishes.

I love the taste of cilantro. Salsa (and many other recipes) is not the same without it. But then I like just about any food. Well, maybe the exception is Balut.

Cheers!

I'm someone who could do without cilantro, although salsa really does need it. I tend to avoid large clumps of it when spooning out salsa. If I have street tacos, onions only for me. No cilantro.

That said, I don't get the soap taste, but then maybe I never checked it out that closely. It is definitely a gag food for me. Comes off as grassy and bitter.

DW makes homemade Pico de Gallo quite often, and we add it to all sorts of other foods (it's great on scrambled eggs). And cilantro is absolutely essential for Pico de Gallo.
Yes! I recently had some at an out of the way restaurant in rural NC that knocked my socks off! Sometimes when the chain restaurants don't serve an area, gem restaurants fill the void. That pico wouldn't be the same without the wonderful cilantro.

Cilantro is a great herb, IMHO. I tried growing it myself this season but it went to seed far earlier than I though it should. I barely got one small bunch before it started seeding up on me.

DW makes homemade Pico de Gallo quite often, and we add it to all sorts of other foods (it's great on scrambled eggs). And cilantro is absolutely essential for Pico de Gallo.

Here is one recipe:

https://cookieandkate.com/classic-pico-de-gallo-recipe/

I did not know what Pico de Gallo was, but it turned out to be what we call Salsa Fresca and my wife makes it by the gallon. Good stuff! Between a big bowl of that and a bag of chips, you've got a meal.

We never put cilantro on scrambled eggs though. It just feels wrong. :)

Back
Top Bottom