Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-18-2015, 07:49 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Yes, our vet provides a paw print also. We lost our cat a few weeks ago and received a paw print. When Cruiser passes we will be sure to get one also.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
I am so sorry to hear this. It's hard enough to lose one pet family member, but to have to say goodbye to two in such a short time span is unimaginable to me.

I also want to say bless your heart (and your wife's heart) for saving Cruiser from the lab when he was just a pup. What a wonderful life he has had with you all these years as a result of that decision you made that day.

I volunteered in animal rescues for several years, until my own cats' health demanded round-the-clock attention, and people who adopted my foster animals were angels in my book.

After I had to say goodbye to my big old orange tabby boy (13.5 y.o.) last year, I donated some of his special food and prescription meds to the animal shelter. I apologized to the staff member because I was crying while dropping off the stuff, and she told me something I'll never forget - she said she was GLAD to see me cry, because it meant my cat mattered, and was well-loved while he was here. She said she had seen too many animals pass away with no one to mourn for them, and that my tears honored my cat's life (if that makes sense). I'll never forget that.

Cruiser looks like a real sweetheart in his pic.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I am so sorry to hear this. It's hard enough to lose one pet family member, but to have to say goodbye to two in such a short time span is unimaginable to me.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1447898165.213617.jpg
This is Cruiser staying by our cat Maya when she was sick, as she lay in her favorite spot on the top step leading to our basement. He knew she wasn't well and was watching over her.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:24 PM   #43

Dash man - thanks for sharing your story with us and we hope Cruiser's last days with you are good ones. That last picture of Cruiser watching over Maya is precious - have you considered framing a print of it to remember both of them in such a sweet way?

We've only had our little dog Skittles for 2 months (a rescued 2-year old maltipoo) and this thread made me cry thinking how we would feel if anything happened to him.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Man's best friend
Old 11-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #44

Man's best friend

Quote:
Cruiser is a Beagle/Basset mix we rescued from a lab at a nearby veterinary school. He didn't meet their requirements and was scheduled to be put down at ten weeks old. They have a network of technicians who work with graduates of the vet school to find homes for these pups. I worked with the father of one of the vets who literally walked down the hall at work calling out asking if anyone wants a dog. I called my wife and she agreed, so we made the arrangements. It was literally a meeting in the back parking lot in the middle of the night operation. They were very sensitive about the work they do there and didn't like to bring attention to it. It was a memorable night, and one of the best spur of the moment decisions I ever made.

I have 3 beagles, one a rescue. What a great life you've given Cruiser, past those 10 weeks when he'd have been discarded.
He has been very fortunate to have you, he's a handsome guy, and I sincerely hope y'all have a great time for all the time that is left.

We never get enough time with them, and it hurts to let them go when we have to. But I personally would not give up
the years of joy and companionship for the time of my pain of loss. I am very sorry for your grief now. Cruiser is still here with you, right now. Keep him as comfortable as you can and when he goes, just know you did your best for him.

Take care.

Carpe beagle.

Edit to add: I read again your initial post. Food thief. That's a beagle for ya! What a great guy!
Old 11-18-2015, 08:59 PM   #45

Quote:
This is Cruiser staying by our cat Maya when she was sick, as she lay in her favorite spot on the top step leading to our basement. He knew she wasn't well and was watching over her.

Bless his heart! What a wonderful picture - he clearly is watching over her. Maya is the spitting image of the first cat I ever had as an adult, 30 years ago. It's amazing the joy they can bring us.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #46

I still remember the pain when my best buddy ever passed. That was in 1965. I still have his collar. Being a terrier he loved to chase things and a tennis ball was his favorite toy. There was a tennis court not far away and if a ball went over the fence he was on it and gone!

A sort-of mean thing I'd do when there was snow on the ground and none on the street (we lived on a dead-end street so little traffic) was make a snowball and then throw it low and parallel to the street. About the time he'd catch up to it the snowball had ground down to nothing and he'd look at me with a puzzled face - "Where'd it go?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Perkey.jpg (134.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 11-22-2015, 06:04 PM   #47

Took Cruiser out for a special day today. We went for a walk on a local trail going at a slow pace so he could take in all the smells. We stopped along the creek and rested a bit for him. Afterwards we went by the in laws so he could say hello. He met lots of new friends in their retirement home with everyone stopping to give him a scratch. Once we got home I grilled some top sirloin that he gobbled up in no time. Now he is sleeping after a good day. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1448237069.942562.jpg

Old 11-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Took Cruiser out for a special day today. . . . Once we got home I grilled some top sirloin that he gobbled up in no time. Now he is sleeping after a good day.
When our time comes and we find that there's a mutt at the pearly gates deciding who gets in, this day will stand you in good stead.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:56 PM   #49

Quote:
Took Cruiser out for a special day today. We went for a walk on a local trail going at a slow pace so he could take in all the smells. We stopped along the creek and rested a bit for him. Afterwards we went by the in laws so he could say hello. He met lots of new friends in their retirement home with everyone stopping to give him a scratch. Once we got home I grilled some top sirloin that he gobbled up in no time. Now he is sleeping after a good day. Attachment 22654

Sounds like an absolutely perfect day for your old buddy!
Old 11-23-2015, 07:23 AM   #50

Great day!

I remember fondly the last day me and one of my long time dogs took a walk through her favorite park. So glad I have photos. They still make me miss her.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #51

Since we got involved in rescue work & take old dogs that no one wants we have went through this a few times in the past 9 years. We have 4 dogs now that all range in age from 10-18 & this has been heavy on my heart. I am so sorry for what you are going through but so happy that you rescued such a sweet boy. Adopt another in his memory when the time is right. That will be different for everyone. If you read Katz's book have plenty of kleenex handy. We also do the last best day for our dogs which always includes steak.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:31 PM   #52

I do love Katz's books, but to me the quintessential book about the magical love between dogs and people is Merle's Door, by Ted Kerasote. Highly recommended--mostly because I'm sure every one of my dogs would have gladly swapped places with Merle, leaving me and my rules in the dust!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:38 AM   #53

My best buddy Cruiser is now at rest. He had a rough weekend and was telling us it was time. I miss him so much already, but I'm glad he is no longer feeling pain. Rest in Peace my friend.
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1453199904.905970.jpg

Old 01-19-2016, 05:06 AM   #54

Quote:
My best buddy Cruiser is now at rest.
Condolences...it's awful hard, I know.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:14 AM   #55

I'm so sorry. My dogs are only 8 years old, but I dread the day I'll be without them.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:23 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

I have two pug pups pushing 13 and 14, and so I am steeling myself for what you've just faced. My thoughts are with you.

Cruiser is in a Doggie Heaven chock full of bones and fire hydrants.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #57

I am so very sorry for your loss, Dash man
Old 01-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Very sorry for your loss. I've felt the pain many times.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very sorry, it's so hard to say goodbye.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-19-2016, 08:20 AM   #60
Administrator

I'm so sorry to read of Cruiser's passing, Dashman. It is terribly hard to lose a best buddy, whether a human or pet buddy. Take care of yourself and take the time to grieve.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote