Mattress Recommendations

The Temperpedic was NOT for me or DW. We tried one for two nights and both hated it. I had the worst backache of my life and DW also had back pain. We returned it and got a very firm conventional matress.

The best mattress I have slept on was a SleepNumber cranked up to 100. I had one for two weeks at a hotel and loved it. I can't talk DW into one, though, as it's too unconventional for her.

One of Leno's headlines segments had a classified ad that read: "Queen-sized mattress. Slight urine smell."

With interest rates so low, I am surprised that nobody has mentioned using cash to fill a mattress. I would think it would provide some piece of mind to have a goodly supply of cash if the whole world goes to hell and hand basket (never figured out the origins of this phrase.). I would think cash would be firm yet pretty soft and so would a pretty could material for sleeping on.
That's an interesting question. I wonder if $100 bills feel the same as dollar bills?

Just got back from the mattress store, where I "test drove" various models of Tempurpedic. I was amazed at how comfortable the Tempurpedic Rhapsody mattress is, for me. It isn't cheap, but I think it just might be the perfect mattress.

"Old lady" observation about bedroom sets. Many of today's mattress setups result in a bed that you need a step ladder to climb on. Before you buy a box spring determine how high you want your bed to be. Also, take a look at your fitted sheets. You may find that your sheets won't fit the new mattress. A decent sheet set can easily cost $60+.

The perfect height for the mattress for me is 17"-18" off the floor (the height of the demo in the store was 17", and that was fine but an inch higher would work as well). Anything 20" or higher would be too high. (Thanks, Brat, for the post that I quoted above that alerted me to this possible issue. Also thanks again, I will allow some in the budget for new sheets.)

I am going to buy new bedroom furniture first because I want it and I don't like my old bed. I can save $400 by choosing a platform bed, because I wouldn't have to buy the Tempurpedic box springs equivalent. So now, my next quest is to find a decent quality platform bed of the correct height, and matching dresser and so on.

Most furniture these days seems pretty shoddy but hopefully I can find something reasonable. Sturdy, functional, and pretty would be nice but I am so picky.

The mattress salesman didn't seem too eager at all. I guess he figured I'd probably buy the Tempurpedic online, since we have a nearly 10% sales tax here and since these mattresses cost the same wherever one buys them. Maybe when I am ready to buy, I could get him to throw in free delivery and setup, some free sheets and pillows, or something along those lines since I can't haggle.

Last edited:
Just got back from the mattress store, where I "test drove" various models of Tempurpedic. I was amazed at how comfortable the Tempurpedic Rhapsody mattress is, for me. It isn't cheap, but I think it just might be the perfect mattress.

Now sign up for your SS and the let the Government pay for the new Mattress.;)

We felt like a Temperpedic we slept on at a friend's home retained heat, so we bought a select comfort (sleep number bed). It's about 6 years old and we absolutely love it! Love, love, love it. My back has completely stopped aching.

Way late to the thread, but I think it depends somewhat on how you sleep, stomach, side or back. We've had a waterbed, medium innerspring, firm innerspring, sleep number and natural latex foam - IOW, everything but a memory foam (TemperPedic) because of concern about heat retention. We hated the sleep number, but we're side and stomach sleepers. For a back sleeper, I suspect sleep number would be ideal. And I suspect it's harder to make friends with a mattress the older we all are.

OP probably decided a while ago...

Has anyone tried the Serta iiComfort? It looks to be a Tempurpedic with technology to keep it cooler.

The Rhapsody is the one I have. I "test drove" it for about three yrs before I finally decided to part with the money for it. I kept gravitating to that model every single time I went to the furniture store. It sure took care of my backaches but I still find it to be a bit warm. The Serta looks pretty interesting if in fact it's cooler.

Back
Top Bottom