Mattress brand recommendations

WOW... went through this purchase last winter. I was dealing with back problems and thought our beloved Beauty Rest might be part of the problem. While it was a wonderful mattress.. they don't last forever. One thing we loved about it was the lack of motion transfer from one person to the other. I can toss and turn a great deal.

This website was a great resource Sleep Like The Dead Is #1 In Sleep Product Research : Independent and Unbiased Mattress Reviews, Pillow Ratings and Much More. I also combed through threads on this site and other sites for specific beds or general threads on beds for opinions and information.

I tried tons of mattresses at the local mattress store and furniture store. I fell in love with the Tempurpedic but could not pull the trigger. I wanted something as natural as possible and the chemicals in that one bothered me.

I made several trips to the sleepnumber store - but that price! They do run sales all the time, so you should be able to get one on sale.

I could not bare to go with online beds and the hassle of having to return it if we didn't like it.

In the end we bought a sleepnumber Split King clone. They stopped making the bed about a month after we bought it, but it was made by the same company. It is comparable to the i8 bed, without the bells and whistles. When I tried the i10 in the store it felt like a dream. I did not want to get out of it. One benefit of the bed is you can replace the parts (like the foam layer) if it breaks down. WE LOVE THE BED! :dance::dance::dance:

Good luck!!

... My mattress is now 15 years old and feels just perfect. I hope I don't have to replace it for a very long time, because nothing is getting any cheaper.

I can’t even remember when we bought our mattress—a Beauty Rest I think. We flip and rotate it occasionally (it’s so old it’s double sided) and have a thick fluffy mattress pad to keep it cozy.

I guess I’d buy a replacement from Costco, whatever was featured, so I could return it if it wasn’t good for us.

WOW... went through this purchase last winter. I was dealing with back problems and thought our beloved Beauty Rest might be part of the problem. While it was a wonderful mattress.. they don't last forever. One thing we loved about it was the lack of motion transfer from one person to the other. I can toss and turn a great deal.

This website was a great resource Sleep Like The Dead Is #1 In Sleep Product Research : Independent and Unbiased Mattress Reviews, Pillow Ratings and Much More. I also combed through threads on this site and other sites for specific beds or general threads on beds for opinions and information.

I tried tons of mattresses at the local mattress store and furniture store. I fell in love with the Tempurpedic but could not pull the trigger. I wanted something as natural as possible and the chemicals in that one bothered me.

I made several trips to the sleepnumber store - but that price! They do run sales all the time, so you should be able to get one on sale.

I could not bare to go with online beds and the hassle of having to return it if we didn't like it.

In the end we bought a sleepnumber Split King clone. They stopped making the bed about a month after we bought it, but it was made by the same company. It is comparable to the i8 bed, without the bells and whistles. When I tried the i10 in the store it felt like a dream. I did not want to get out of it. One benefit of the bed is you can replace the parts (like the foam layer) if it breaks down. WE LOVE THE BED! :dance::dance::dance:

Good luck!!

We purchased the i10 360 and love it. With my hip issues, I couldn't sleep on my side anymore as well as trouble sleeping on my back on our still in excellent condition old bed (about 5 years old), and now can. I love, love, love my new bed and it's worth every penny we spent on it :dance::dance::dance:.

I can’t even remember when we bought our mattress—a Beauty Rest I think. We flip and rotate it occasionally (it’s so old it’s double sided) and have a thick fluffy mattress pad to keep it cozy.

I guess I’d buy a replacement from Costco, whatever was featured, so I could return it if it wasn’t good for us.
Those mattress pads can make a huge difference. I use a waterproof mattress protector with thick built in foam padding, which helps also.

I was just thinking last night, as I drifted off to sleep, that there has never been a more comfortable bed than my own (for me).

Good idea to check out Costco if/when my mattress wears out.

My wife has to sleep head high because of gastric problems. We bought a Leggett and Platt adjustable bed frame and a premium memory foam mattress from BedInABag.com. Their prices couldn't be beat, and the level of service is great.

My wife absolutely loved that mattress and can hardly sleep on anything else. Their is foam is very rare--made in the USA. And not all memory foams are created equal.

All of those premium beds sold through bedding galleries in special retailers are all very overpriced.

We have the Comfortaire mattress, which is like Select Number. We like that we can replace parts and refresh the bed. We love it.

My wife has to sleep head high because of gastric problems. We bought a Leggett and Platt adjustable bed frame and a premium memory foam mattress from BedInABag.com. Their prices couldn't be beat, and the level of service is great.

My wife absolutely loved that mattress and can hardly sleep on anything else. Their is foam is very rare--made in the USA. And not all memory foams are created equal.

All of those premium beds sold through bedding galleries in special retailers are all very overpriced.

We bought a frame from them (BedInABag) and a mattress from Brooklyn Bedding (foam, made in NYC). Whole purchase was about $1100 for the king. Excellent products.

About a year and a half ago we bought a Simmons beauty rest (the bowling ball mattress) and love it. I am about 270 lbs and my wife is 105. No more flinging her across the bed when I roll over.

Besides brand, also consider size. We had a Sterns and Foster Queen for over 10 years--was great until I started having shoulder and hip discomfort. About 5 years ago, we upgraded to a King and also went with Tempurpedic brand. What a difference! Best sleep I have ever had. Neither one wakes the other with any movement, no sagging, mattress is guaranteed for 20 years. You do need to be aware that it takes time to "break in" a tempurpedic, it did feel a bit too firm the first week or so, but I have never had the joint discomfort again. A bit spendy, but I feel it is well worth it to me to get a good nights sleep.

I strongly prefer old-fashioned innerspring mattresses. Typically they're cooler than a foam mattress.

Besides brand, also consider size. We had a Sterns and Foster Queen for over 10 years--was great until I started having shoulder and hip discomfort. About 5 years ago, we upgraded to a King and also went with Tempurpedic brand. What a difference! Best sleep I have ever had. Neither one wakes the other with any movement, no sagging, mattress is guaranteed for 20 years. You do need to be aware that it takes time to "break in" a tempurpedic, it did feel a bit too firm the first week or so, but I have never had the joint discomfort again. A bit spendy, but I feel it is well worth it to me to get a good nights sleep.
Completely agree. We upgraded to a king, and have never looked back.

Completely agree. We upgraded to a king, and have never looked back.
I love having a king sized bed. Some people sleep in one place and never move even an inch from where they were when they fell asleep. I am not one of those people. :) It's nice to have lots and lots of space to roam/roll/flop around in, if desired.

I was thinking about this thread last night as I fell asleep. It occurred to me that maybe I do not demand as much from my bed as some others might from theirs. But either way, I couldn't imagine a more comfortable bed. Sheer bliss.

Last edited:
A while back I read about litigation between two mattress 'rating' bloggers and manufacturers. From that I learned that they are not as independent as one might think.

We have the Comfortaire mattress, which is like Select Number. We like that we can replace parts and refresh the bed. We love it.

Ally, That is what we have! :) LOVE it. However it looks like they stopped making the mattress this year, so I hope we are still able to replace parts years down the road.

Wow! Just what I thought great advise but still no clue to finding a mattress to be happy with. I really don't look forward to this task in search for the best buy but best bed. LOL

A couple years ago I bought a Leesa memory foam mattress. It came compressed in a box small enough to fit under (near) our Christmas tree. It was fun to watch it expand when we finally took it out of the box and cut open the package. Unfortunately, while it was comfortable to lay on, it felt like quicksand any time we tried to move or get out of bed. It also had a bit of a chemical smell which didn't seem healthy. I utilized their "free return" policy, which meant they just sent out the "Got Junk" company to take it to the dump. Seemed wasteful and not very environmentally friendly.

The memory foam mattress reminded me of our cheap $20 air mattress we use for camping. It's comfortable to lay on, but moving around on it is a challenge to say the least.

So, we went back to the old mattress we bought from Penny's 10+ years ago and haven't shopped for mattresses since.

Well, my wife and I went and bought one this morning. We looked and tested a lot of mattresses and ended up buying a Serta Linden Pond Plush Mattress. There were a lot of very expensive one and they didn't seem any more comfortable then this model. My wife was happy and I was happy I didn't have to take out a loan out to buy it. That always makes me happy. LOL I'm done it was quick and easy thank God for that.

My Brother and Father both have sleep number and swear by them. They remind me of an expensive air mattress. A co-worker bought a purple mattress (similar to intellibed?) and after a month said that he likes it. Took awhile to 'break in'. To me they seem like they would run hot. I would not feel comfortable on a hot bed.

Too many choices and opinions for such a personal experience. I am a side, stomach sleeper, DW is back, side.

I am currently in process of getting a new pillow, fingers crossed on the feather pillow I am getting from down and feather tomorrow.

I think buying a mattress from somewhere that doesn’t have a generous return policy is just crazy these days. All these new mattress companies offer risk free 30-90 day trials. You can’t really know what mattress you’ll like without sleeping on it for a couple of weeks.
Last time we bought a mattress tried 3 before settling on a firm Brooklyn Bed one. Still happy with it 2 years later.

I think buying a mattress from somewhere that doesn’t have a generous return policy is just crazy these days...........
I totally agree. We recently bought a mattress at Costco that was top rated by Consumer Reports and we both hate it. As soon as we get the strength to wrestle it down the stairs, we'll return it.

I strongly prefer old-fashioned innerspring mattresses. Typically they're cooler than a foam mattress.

+1..

We literally bought and returned 6 different mattresses last time we had to do this..

I tried the Latex (from FloBeds.com) and it screwed up my back something fierce - to the point I was on pain pills and it took almost a year to get back to 'normal'. Never will do Latex (or any "foam") again.

We tried every memory foam, foam, combo foam, etc - and they were all JUNK (including TempurPedic, Sealey, Simmons and all the "big" brands).

Someone suggested, and we finally went with - find a small, mom and pop mattress manufacturer that makes beds "the old fashioned way" with innersprings and ACTUAL box springs (not a platform made out of plywood with zero actual springs in it).

We found one of these companies and had to drive 4 hours across state to try it out.

Best decision ever. Every "major brand" mattress including all of the ones mentioned up thread were garbage compared to the "old fashioned" traditional bed.

We have a separate duvet that sits on top of the traditional innerspring mattress, and unlike 95% of "today's" mattresses can actually flip ours because it has coils on both sides.

Best of luck..this is one of the hardest decisions you will ever make. I know from painful first hand experience..it literally took us 2 years and thousands of $$s to find one that worked. But my bed today is the best I ever slept in, and having traveled a fair amount over the years I've slept in many..

Back
Top Bottom