More Fun w/ Amazon.com

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Another thread describes some Prime shipping adventures. I was also slightly
disappointed by the product: 9 volt alkaline batteries which had a "best by" date only 4 yrs from now. I posted a review last night describing that and the later than expected shipping. This morning I got a message that my review had been rejected along w/ some guidelines. Best that I can figure is that Amazon wants product reviews to deal only w/ the product and shipping is another matter..........so split the review into 2 parts and send them different places to meet those guidelines.

Right after I submitted the 2nd review, I got a call from the vendor. I was somewhat surprised that they would take the time to call and even to read the review that quickly. He explained that Amazon itself is doing the shipping and that he doesn't control that. He also said that 9 volt alkaline batteries have a shorter shelf life than the 10 yrs I was expecting. Nice guy/nice chat.
I had an errand to run so when returning home, I checked at the local hardware store and found that the 9 volt batteries all have the same 2020 date (or earlier) that mine did so it seems he is correct in that.

I came home and posted a revised review posting my finding and upping the rating. So far not rejected but not posted either.

Meanwhile my 2nd review had also been rejected. I was torn between never posting another review and wanting to post one immediately that stuck.
I called Amazon instead. Rep #1 heard my name and e-mail address clearly when I was asked and replied and then suddenly got a case of : line is full of static and I can't hear you when I started describing my concerns about shipping and product. Only other time that happened to me is when I called Synchrony Bank shortly after closing hours for a particular dept......I figured that was a creative way to go home on time. I yelled something about being deaf and dumb............but got no fish to bite so I hung up and called again.

Rep #2 was very polite and an excellent listener who promised to forward my concerns up the chain. I wanted to talk to a supe to compare and contrast the two but unfortunately none was available and I had to go to lunch.

Found out that I had escaped my life of 4 hrs at a time being on call for jury duty this wk so only have 2 more hrs to kill. Thanks to Amazon for the free entertainment and education.

Been having some issues with Amazon lately?:)

that and/or too much time on my hands ............ :)

Last edited:
I wrote a review saying that while I loved an item it had quit working 3 months in. I got an email from the vendor asking if I wanted another one to replace the one that was defective. I told them yes. I then got an email asking if I would remove or modify my review. I told them I certainly would modify it once I received the replacement. They wrote back that they understood. So far I have not received the replacement but I have no reason to think that it is not in the snail mail somewhere. Not yet.

I wrote a review saying that while I loved an item it had quit working 3 months in. I got an email from the vendor asking if I wanted another one to replace the one that was defective. I told them yes. I then got an email asking if I would remove or modify my review. I told them I certainly would modify it once I received the replacement. They wrote back that they understood. So far I have not received the replacement but I have no reason to think that it is not in the snail mail somewhere. Not yet.

If you make an honest update to the review, I think that's fine (like "it failed, but the vendor stood behind it and replaced it").

But I had a vendor ask me to change my review and they'd give me a discount coupon for my next purchase, w/o actually resolving anything about the review) - I saw that as just a bribe and a breakdown of the review system. I reported them to Amazon, but they said they would not tell me what action was taken with the vendor. That was not very satisfying.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Interesting data pt for me........reviews #1 & 2 which were neutral-sl. negative
(2&3** s) got rejected. After I posted #3 which raised the rating to 4*, it got accepted and posted. Sounds like a yelp type story......

I read plenty of 1 star and 2 star reviews on Amszon, so they don't all get rejected.

I often go to those reviews to see if there is something routinely wrong with a product.

This is the first I have ever even *heard* of the possibility of an Amazon review being rejected, or receiving a response from the vendor! I'm rather surprised. I've never had either problem.

This is the first I have ever even *heard* of the possibility of an Amazon review being rejected, or receiving a response from the vendor! I'm rather surprised. I've never had either problem.
I had a review rejected when I mentioned that the description was incorrect so I had to send it back. Evidently this triggered some algorithm to determine that I was complaining about a shipping problem and not the items per se, so it kicked me out.

My latest interaction with Amazon was an example of exemplary customer service. My small coffee percolator was no longer heating to a high enough temperature to brew. It was nine months old, the manufacturer's warranty is one year. When I called Amazon customer service to ask whether I could return it to them, or if I had to deal with the manufacturer, the rep apologized for the trouble and said he would send me a replacement via one-day shipping. There was no need to return the defective item, I could donate it or dispose of it however I wanted. My new coffee pot showed up the next day.

Maybe it depends on whether the item is warehoused and sold by Amazon, or just shipped by Amazon?

Give some credit to Amazon for their flexibility.......after I posted the 3rd review which was more favorable and finally accepted, I got a request for feedback on their performance. I gave them the whole story and asked why the 2nd review had been rejected even though it dealt with the product only
(and not the shipping issue). Today I got a reply saying it should have been accepted and that it was being posted with the other reviews.

I thanked them for their willingness be be objective and asked whether man or machine does the initial accept/reject...........holding breath for answer.

I'm going to have to give Kudos to Amazon for my last purchase. I ordered an $80 electric blanket on Saturday - offered with free shipping. It arrived at my front door Monday afternoon via UPS. Very impressive Amazon!

I have posted probably close to 100 reviews (too lazy to look) and I have never had one rejected...and I have written PLENTY of 1 and 2 star reviews. I have also been contacted MANY times from the vendors when I have had an issue. Sometimes they ask me to change the review (I will NOT change the # of stars, but I will edit it to show what a vendor did to fix a problem) and sometimes they don't.

The one issue I have with the reviews are the way they are sorted (most relevant first, even if they are 5 years old). Sometimes the item (lots of times!) will be slightly different or even completely different but you can't tell that with the "relevant" reviews.

I guess I have one other issue...and that's the "vine" reviews...basically people that promise to review an item they got for free. I know this is disclosed, but I find those reviews to be pretty useless...most people will rate and item higher that they didn't pay for....that's human nature.

I'm going to have to give Kudos to Amazon for my last purchase. I ordered an $80 electric blanket on Saturday - offered with free shipping. It arrived at my front door Monday afternoon via UPS. Very impressive Amazon!

That is the key. I almost NEVER have shipping issues with UPS. Now I cannot say the same for the USPS and I absolutely HATE when it's shipped via Lasership (usually same day or next day). If it's LS, I can almost guarantee it will be late and the surveillance cameras usually catch the driver chucking the package for a distance of 5 feet or more. I have complained over and over and over to Amazon about LS, but to no avail.

I had ordered a pair of shoes and on my first extensive trail run (they were supposed to be a trail shoe), the tread was obliterated. The shoes were replaced with no hassles.

cd :O)

I don't think they screen out negative reviews. I bought a Speedo bathing suit with a rough seam under the arm that rubbed the skin raw. I actually had to protect myself against it with band aids. Posted the review and picture of the seam on Speedo and on Amazon. Speedo removed it. Amazon did not.

Back
Top Bottom