most expensive watch

nnkrealtor

Recycles dryer sheets
That wrist watch post and after just finishing "The Millionaire Next Door" I got wondering...

Alot of people on this forum are very good at not splurging on material posessions.
I hear alot of posts on vehicles but not may on other things.

So

What is the most you have ever paid for a wrist watch, and what kind was or is it?

I don't think I ever bought a watch - had enough via Christmas/birthday gifts to keep me supplied over the years.

The most expensive!! - the gold one I got for 20 yrs with the same company.

Thought about buying a watch on the cruise - maybe next time. Perhaps when i get fully unfrugal. Something to think about anywise.

Never bought a phone either. Been checking the expensive 29.95 suits at Salvation Army for the next wedding - so far nothing my size - got till June. Did spend 3.95 for a pair of expensive dress shoes.

unclemick2 said:
Been checking the expensive 29.95 suits at Salvation Army for the next wedding - so far nothing my size - got till June. Did spend 3.95 for a pair of expensive dress shoes.

Nothing like being around kindred spirits. :D

I spent about $40 on a dress watch for DH -- birthday present. It was kind of nifty, too, with a clear case that let you see all the wheels. Anyway, it croaked, and the shop wanted $100 to fix it. So much for that....

As for me, I buy cheap watches at Target (for which I probably have spent 3 times it worth in batteries, LOL)

I spent $50 on a timex a several years ago. I needed a watch with alarms to remind me to switch funds before the market closed. I saw it again the other day - it takes a lickin but keeps on tickin.

Cheap Casios from Wal Mart. Around $20. Loose em about once a year. In fact the whole wardrobe comes from Wal Mart to my daughters dismay.

Then again I'm posting this from Playa del Carmen and my cheap sandals and shorts fit in just fine so it all balances. ;)

A Timex Titanium for $60, bought at Del Amo Mall in 1984. Still ticking in a drqwer somewhere.

TargaDave, got my Casio at Walmart for $12, DW got hers for $9.  We don't bother to replace batteries, just go get a new one.  Works for us.  Yours must be pretty fancy for $20....

Dave

Seiko $175. I've never had a good 'dress' watch. It was a Christmas present from hubby. Of course I waited until it was on sale and I had a coupon so he paid less than half price for it. ;)

nnkrealtor said:
What is the most you have ever paid for a wrist watch, and what kind was or is it?
I didn't spend for it, but it's a $30 Casio "G-Shock" Christmas present.

I don't wear a watch anymore because I rarely need to know the time that precisely, or I'm rarely so far away from a clock, or it's a reminder that I shouldn't be watching clocks/watches in the first place. But I keep the watch on my nightstand and use the timer alarm to make sure that my 30-minute naps don't turn into two-hour up-all-night indulgences.

Lucas Associates' website used to have a page of handy career-guide "Dress for Success" tips for military veterans. I was following along just fine until they recommended "getting rid of that old Casio G-Shock" for a more business-appropriate Patek-Phillipe. Along with the $10 "good quality" socks and the "buy really high-quality silk ties" advice, my second-career ambitions were ruined for life.

I bought a $3000 watch from Dad who deals in these things for $600. Its nice, but its nothing I'd part with $3k for.

I wear an $18 Casio for everyday. DW bought me a dress watch for my birthday for $129 (Seiko).

Grumpy[ftp][/ftp]

a $150 Seiko many years ago (~20 yrs? and it still runs fine. But now I mostly wear a Swiss Army special that was a 20 year company anniversary item.

Can't imagine I'll ever have to buy another watch.. and if I do, it will be a cheapy Casio or Timex to get me through assisted living or whatever else life throws at me.

I never comment on these things cause I feel like a duchebag but fug it. $3900 for a cheap rolex. Funny thing is it looks like just a normal watch nothing fancy. Its been worth every penny because the face on it is impossible to scratch. So, I bump it into the wall and scratch it on everything and it looks almost as good as the day i bought it. Not to mention no batteries to buy, ever; and it keeps good time. :)

BabyApe said:
  I guess these devices serve a similar status-symbol purpose as well.

Ding ding ding!!! I didn't immediately notice when I started working at my new gig, but everyone who works there wears some flavor of Breitling. I'm pretty sure the boss' is a 10 to 15 k watch. Good thing my daily watch is also a Breitling. I don't think the Rado (gift) would go over too well with this crowd, since it is relatively slim and not a big macho hunk of metal to wear on one's wrist.

Last year, I bought a $50 Timex Iron series on sale for $20 but reduced to $13 to match a competitor. I still have a dressy 20 year old Seiko watch (needs a battery) that I still keep just in case I want to wear a fancier watch one day.

I got married this year and went on a cruise for our honeymoon. There I bought a Tag Heuer Formula 1 for $695. $200 less that what it was in the states. I had wanted this watch for awhile but could never bring my self to part with that much money for it... I guess it was just the atmosphere of the honeymoon that made me temporairly loose my mind, But I do love the watch. I got the rubber band instead of the metal so I can play golf in it and its not sliding every where ( saved me about 50 bucks)

I have a sundial in my garden.  Works quite well except for two occasions:
- When I'm traveling, I just carry a stick.
- At night, I use a flashlight (solar recharge, so I don't spend $$ on batteries)

:D :D :D

brewer12345 said:
Ding ding ding!!!  I didn't immediately notice when I started working at my new gig, but everyone who works there wears some flavor of Breitling.  I'm pretty sure the boss' is a 10 to 15 k watch.  Good thing my daily watch is also a Breitling.  I don't think the Rado (gift) would go over too well with this crowd, since it is relatively slim and not a big macho hunk of metal to wear on one's wrist.

If you didn't have a Breitling, would you actually go out and buy one to fit in with your co-workers? Would you consider a knock-off (of a status watch -- not a Breitling, since your co-workers could probably tell the difference)?

Jay_Gatsby said:
If you didn't have a Breitling, would you actually go out and buy one to fit in with your co-workers?  Would you consider a knock-off (of a status watch -- not a Breitling, since your co-workers could probably tell the difference)?

Dunno. I guess I haven't really thought about it. Probably I would not, since I really could care less about status goods.

Never bought a watch. I found one on the ground 10 years ago. I ripped what was left of the band off and now I keep it in my pocket. I don't like things hanging on my wrist. On occasion when I have a borrowed cellphone with me, I will leave the watch at home since the cell phone has a clock on it.

I received a Folex (fake rolex) a few years ago. Looks pretty convincing. I took it to a jewelry shop and they weren't sure if it was fake or not, but they asked me if it was real (since I don't look/dress the Rolex way). I've worn this numerous times to job interviews/weddings/funerals. Not sure how anyone could tell the difference from a casual glance. Not that I care anyway. :D

justin said:
Not sure how anyone could tell the difference from a casual glance. 

Generally speaking:

- the fakes are a LOT lighter
- the fakes have bands that are poor quality

brewer12345 said:
Generally speaking:

- the fakes are a LOT lighter
- the fakes have bands that are poor quality

But could someone spot a fake just by casual inspection of my watch while I'm wearing it? Without being 6 inches from the watch?

Back
Top Bottom