Most Important Day in your life

Don't know the exact date. But probably around August 1988. DW and I had her first sonogram and saw two heads on the monitor. Lots of thoughts raced through my mind. But its been all great beyond my wildest dream.

Muir

For me, it was the day I finally had the courage to first tell someone that I'm gay. All of these many years later, it's hard to believe how difficult it was at the time.

The day Megacorp offered me a job. I got out of a dangerous career to write assembly code. What a change nobody threatened me, heck my new manager said please, thank you, and great job, I was used to hearing I'll kick your blank blank a$$. I walked around for many months just smiling and wondering how I got so lucky.

Everyone there was telling me how great this 'profit sharing' stuff was. How surprised was I when I saw my first statement. Then years later I saw my mentors starting to retire, young. How great was that, soon it was my turn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

My most significant day was in early 1973. It was the day I entered college. A college education was unheard of in my extended family and even more so for a female. A relative actually suggested that I give my hard earned savings to my brother so he could complete college. I didn't and he didn't. A college education afforded me a rewarding career and decent salary......and that has made all the difference in my life.

I was too young for the draft (and it was biased...did a chi square test in college).

One day that set/altered the trajectory of my life? A story that I end with "...and the rest is history" ... Hmmm. Probably the otherwise routine day my wife and I decided to start a family.

Easy! The most important day in my life was June 8th, 1948 - - the day I was born. Not because that was such an earth-shaking occurrence, but because without that day's events, there would have been no other days in my life from which to choose.

Attachments

• 1948_small.jpg
    1948_small.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
The day my wife and I were born again!
Everything changed after that.

Funny, a few years later my number was 6, but they suspended the draft that year.

My number was 2, but it was also suspended for me since we were mostly out of Vietnam by then. I eventually still put my time in after college and served for 13 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I honestly can't say which of the 24,842 days (and counting) was most important. I could select a handful that I'd rank way up there but no way can I single out any one day.

Last edited:
My number was 2, but it was also suspended for me since we were mostly out of Vietnam by then. I eventually still put my time in after college and served for 13 years.

Yeah, I remember that lottery. I drew 256 and they got up to about 200. Whew!

A friend drew "the lucky number" - 365. Unfortunately he was a Marine stationed in Da Nang at the time.

Lots of important dates stand out but I can't say one was way ahead of any other.

Probably the most significant day for me was the day I got drafted into the Army and was sure to be headed to VN at the time. I was a poor boy from a poor family with a HS education and no direction.

I joined the Air Force and put in four years (two combat status) and grew up and saw the light. That experience gave me direction in my life and I went on to college and grad school, totally supporting myself along the way. The rest is....well, you know the story.

The most important day - It's the day (sometime in 1979) I decided to "get away" from my family by choosing to go to a college 400 miles away. Had I stay near my family, it would have ruined my life and I will be posting on workingforver.org instead of this one. If I dropped my family altogether, I probably could have retired 5 years earlier instead of doing OMY. They have been a major source of my (and DW's) stress.

One fall night in 1971, on a dirt road, in the back seat of a Chevy...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

:confused: I don't get it. What does "..." mean? Details, please. :D

I think it's an 's' in Morse code ... can't imagine any other translations.:eek: Please let me know if I read the translation tables incorrectly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

First thing that popped into my head was... my high school entrance exam. (This was in Japan.)

I wanted to go to a public high school and you could only take the entry exam one day a year, and it was for one district only and one level only (You couldn't apply for multiple public schools) and if you failed, you either had to wait another year to take the exam again, or go to a private school (each private high school had its own entrance exam so you could apply for multiple private schools, but not a public school.) I had to lower my level of public schools to make sure I could get into a public school, but it was quite nerve wracking since if you got sick that day (imagine having a diarrhea!), that would have been it! My test scores were good enough and I got accepted. (The tests were so easy that I regretted I lowered my school choice one level...) I took an entrance exam for one private school and I got accepted too.

Maybe this wasn't the most important day of my life, but it was one of the most stressful days of my life...

Last edited:
For me, it would be the first day of a vacation to Montana and Yellowstone in the summer of 1992.

My family was never the outdoor type, so after I'd moved out on my own, that summer I decided I wanted to visit a national park. I picked Yellowstone and few in to Billings, Montana. After I picked up my rental car and started driving towards the mountains, I knew immediately why they call it Big Sky Country.

It was like the entire world opened up to me. The wide open spaces, the Rocky Mountains, Yellowstone...

I still consider that trip to be the single most important life-changing event in my life. It caused me to move sight unseen to Colorado later that year, and I still feel drawn more to Colorado and the Rockies than anywhere else I've ever lived.

I honestly can't say which of the 24,842 days (and counting) was most important. I could select a handful that I'd rank way up there but no way can I single out any one day.
+1

I've pondered it, and I can't pick one single day or event. There have been so many important days and events that have greatly impacted and influenced my life, that I couldn't 't even begin to narrow it down to one, or even dozens.

Life thus far has been awesome, and I venture to say that it will continue that way! :dance:

It would have to be when I became an Associate of my professional society by passing 7 exams, each with a pass ratio of 30 to 40%. (Full membership required another 3 exams.). At one point I realized that if I passed the next 3 in a row I'd become an Associate at the meeting scheduled in Puerto Rico. I made it.

It was my first experience being at a fancy resort because of my own position and accomplishments and the first attainment of status in the society after 5 years of working and taking exams. It was my first glimpse of palm trees, too!

#1: the day I was born
#2: 5/13/84--my wedding day
#3: the day my son was born
#4: 12/31/14--my last real work day--hasn't happened yet!
#5: end of November 1998 when I moved out of California.

In that order. All of these mark the biggest life changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom