Most spent on cars?

What the max you've spent to purchase a daily driver vehicle?

• $0 -$19,999

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • $20,000 - $29,999

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • $30,000 - $39,999

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • $40,000 - $49,999

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • $50,000 - $59,999

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • $60,000 - $69,999

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • $70,000 plus

Votes: 8 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Last 2 cars were year-old Buicks and paid about half of what they were new. Current one is 5 years old, had the previous one for 9 years. Most expensive was $21K.

Hey - can we have at least one more group in this poll please? How about an under $10K group, and perhaps even one for "Never owned a car" (just in case there is someone!)

The most I have ever paid for a car was (if I remember correctly) around $4,400 for a 1988 Volvo 240 Wagon (I think it was a DL) bought in 1997. Don't remember the details, as I'm not much of a car person. I bought it after riding a motorcycle for around 6 1/2 years and having a few rather scary accidents, the last of which made me decide to cut my losses. It scared me so much that I went out and bought the Volvo, and soon after, ditched the motorcycle. However, the Volvo wasn't a particularly frugal option, as it cost me several thousand a year in maintenance.

I have also owned a 1978 Toyota Celica (bought in 1987) and a 1967 Oldsmobile Delmont 88 (bought in around 1989 with 44,000 original miles on it and in excellent condition, for just $500 - the best deal I ever got on a car). My other 2 vehicles were a brand new Vespa scooter, and a used Yamaha XJ700 motorcycle. The Volvo wagon was the most expensive vehicle I ever owned though - at ~$4,400.

Since early 2002, the only vehicles I have owned are bicycles. They are much cheaper, and help to keep me fit too. I think my best bicycle deal has been my current one, a used Marin brand hybrid (street/mountain), bought for $125 from Craigslist. It is my sole form of transport and probably averages $100/year in maintenance. I have had a few quite pricey maintenance jobs done on it. A pricey bicycle shop maintenance bill for me is ~$100, whereas a pricey bill for the old Volvo was 10-20 times that. Then there was the registration, insurance, gas..........

Last edited:
I paid $16k for a new 2007 Corolla. That car replaced a 1991 Prism I bought in 1992 for $8k and lasted for 15 more years.

It would be a lot of fun if Jay Leno joined the forum! :)

I'm a little surprised at the qty in the $30,000 - $39,999 range. I figured most here were interested in just basic transportation, as I am, and that's not hard to find under $30,000. I guess this might reflect the people who buy vehicles with enough oooomph to tow their toys? 'ooomph' doesn't come cheap! ;)

-ERD50

My criteria has always been reliable basic transportation with ergonomics where my back wouldn't break on a long road trip. That said, car before this one was an entry level luxury car (Lexus) because I've always wanted to own one luxury car :dance:. The most recent purchase in July was a replacement of our SUV...must have leather seats and all the safety bells and whistles. In order to get all the safety bells and whistles, you have to buy the fully loaded model...$45K, but we keep our cars for ~15-20 years. And I do LOVE my butt coolers!

Nominally, the most paid for a car was a tad over $12K, but that was in 1991. My first new car was the most expensive (in relative dollars) $5K for a Vette in 1970 - my only serious car-buying error in judgment.

Now I like to stay under $10K for a decent used car, though I haven't had to buy one for a few years now. I actually feel better driving an older car (lower insurance, maybe lower tags, less likely to be stolen or broken into, etc.)

Oh, and least paid was $50 for a 49 Chevy in 1964. YMMV

32K (CDN) on a loaded Toyota Tacoma back in 2000. Still happily driving it and have had nary a single problem with it over these 15 years. It still looks great, drives great...people approach me all the time asking me if I want to sell it...nope. I think it will be considered (and probably already is) one of the best truck models ever produced.

And it serves very well as my mobile (and outrageously capable off-road) platform for my post-ER adventures. :) Love my truck.

My daily driver is basically the same Tacoma, but a 2008. Both kayaks fit on the rack, two mountain bikes underneath, with a locked box for camping gear storage. Bought one in 2004 for $21,000 that was stolen in 2008, then used the insurance money to buy the 2008. It's a practical vehicle for our lifestyle, but the gas mileage isn't great.

Since I ran my 1985 Toyota pickup for 20 years and 300,000 miles, I figure this one will last even longer with no commuting. But right now I'm in the middle of a roughly 10,000 mile three month trip around the US, so the miles could pile up.

I'm a little surprised at the qty in the $30,000 - $39,999 range. I figured most here were interested in just basic transportation, as I am, and that's not hard to find under $30,000. I guess this might reflect the people who buy vehicles with enough oooomph to tow their toys? 'ooomph' doesn't come cheap! ;)-ERD50
For me it is just a simple case of comfort: at 6'4" and about 265lbs there is a limit to what I can fit into comfortably and I have only really found it in large SUV's or large luxury vehicles and they don't normally come cheap (don't see a lil' sports car ever in my future :)).:baconflag:

The most expensive car we've owned is one we got for free. :) We couldn't afford the maintenance.

Hard to do comparisons like this because inflation isn't considered. Here in the US all the cars we have bought new were in the mid-level Accord / Camry price range. Once exception was the '06 Acura TL I currently drive, it cost $30.4K
Might be an interesting thread...

Spent right under $40k for my '07 G35S. I have a bit of buyer's remorse on that one, but not as much as I do on my prior vehicle which I never should've purchased.

The G has 88,000 miles on it and I expect I'll drive it until it dies. I hear the complaints about premium fuel, and add to that to check out tire usage. My rears and fronts are different, so I can't rotate, which shortens the life of the tires... lesson learned.

We spend the third most time in our cars in life, so I don't have an issue with spending a reasonable amount for creature comforts. I doubt I'll ever buy a high-dollar luxury car (I know - $40k is high dollar, but I mean like the 60s+ stuff). Not sure I can justify it when there are really nice vehicles out there for half that.

Spent $25k on our last new car 10 years ago. Considering new Toyota Highlander Ltd but I'm struggling with the $40k price tag. They have sure changed a lot they first came out!

Update: just bought a gently used 2013 Lexus RX350 yesterday for $34,000. DW will be driving it though while I continue to drive the 2005 Camry. :)

Just realized that some on this poll spent more on one vehicle than I have on the 7 that I've purchased over the last 33 years. (OK, I can be bit slow.:facepalm:) Of course others have spent even less than I have. Maybe we should have a poll on total auto expenditures throughout life. Although, as someone said, without adjusting for inflation it doesn't mean a lot - just gives people a chance to pretend they're the most frugal or they are a big spender. ;) But that's why we are all here, for the entertainment value, right?

I doubt I'll ever buy a high-dollar luxury car (I know - $40k is high dollar, but I mean like the 60s+ stuff). Not sure I can justify it when there are really nice vehicles out there for half that.
I probably would if it'll get me self-driving car. :D

If public transpo was better, I probably wouldn't own a car.

Second bracket for me, but I will probably move to the 3rd next go around. Why not? I can't take my money with me. Actually my current one was close to the 3rd bracket but I bought a demo which helped on the price.

One problem I had is that this didn't say to adjust for inflation. I answered $40k to $49k, but that was over 20 years ago and was for a Corvette so it would be a whole lot more now (and, yes, it was my daily driving vehicle).

It would be a lot of fun if Jay Leno joined the forum! :)

I'm a little surprised at the qty in the $30,000 - $39,999 range. I figured most here were interested in just basic transportation, as I am, and that's not hard to find under $30,000. I guess this might reflect the people who buy vehicles with enough oooomph to tow their toys? 'ooomph' doesn't come cheap! ;)

-ERD50

Probably for most of our family vehicles we've been in that range. A lot of that is wanting certain safety features that you can only get with the highest level of options. We don't tow anything. Another factor was wanting a large vehicle so we could have 5 people in it plus have a couple of large dog crates. We haven't needed that for every vehicle but wanted it for one of our two vehicles.

Last edited:
OP here.

Well, I did it again......stayed under $20K for a vehicle. I've been looking for about 6 weeks for a crossover SUV for my wife. I've looked at 4 vehicles found through cars.com but walked away as the dealers were not willing to seriously negotiate (cut the inflated asking price).

Then saw an ad in the Sunday paper. After going through vehicles online I immediately recognized that a local dealer had a real good price on a used 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe, average mileage! Picked it up today and real happy. Dealer must have wanted to move this one off lot!

With some research, the dealer had the vehicle listed on cars.com at $17,500. But at the dealer's website, it was $16,500. The ad in the paper had it marked on sale at $14,999. Tells me on used cars they often have a lot of negotiating room.

Now down to two minivans and the crossover.

Last edited:
Bought good reliable used vehicles while I was going to school and paying off educational debt. But once the debt was behind me, I developed the enthusiasm for cars that were more than just transportation.

C5 Corvette $50K
Lexus SC 430 (hardtop convertible) $60K
and the most recent: Tesla $100K

I enjoyed them all, no regrets.

$17k for a new Honda a few years ago.

Which I might have to get rid of, now that I can't drive due to medical reasons :(

About 18K on a 99 loaded 3/4 ton GMC Suburban SLT in 2001 with 54K miles and 7.4 litre engine with full tow package.

Other than that never spent more than 3.5K on any vehicle. Still have the suburban, it still looks pristine. And not a garage queen either.:D

My 95 Jaguar was next most expensive at 3.5K.

I didn't answer the poll because this was 1982 and it would have to be adjusted for inflation- but the guy I was dating at the time had a brand-new Camaro loaded with everything on order and, other than $2K coming in from selling his previous car, he had zero assets and an awful credit rating. I bought him the &%##! car. I still can't believe it. I took out a car loan for almost $9,000 and made the payments but the car was in his name. I had a good job and could afford it, but it sure was a hit to my cash flow. My only excuse was that I was almost 30 and my bio clock was going crazy. We did eventually marry and have DS, and divorced 13 years later.

Cars are not a big financial priority for DH and me. Our current two were bought used from Enterprise Rental. They're not the cheapest dependable transportation we could find, but we've been very happy with them.

My last truck cost ~42K. A 2003 F350 7.3 Diesel with a plow. the next truck, a 2017/18 will be $60K+.

I've never spent more than $30K on a new car - got my wife's 13 new FXT for well under $30K (thanks internet).

Everything else was around $20K or less. 2011 Ranger 4x4 (new 19K, yes it was a good deal), 09 FXT (used 18K), 04 FXT (used 14K), 02 WRX (new 22K), 02 Forester L (new 18K), 99 Forester L (used 3K ebay), 92 Dodge Dakota (new 15K), 57 Belair (used 3K), 67 Riv (used 3K).

Just recently I was looking at trading in my Ranger for a new 2015 Ram 4x4 crew cab:

Vehicle Price $43,029.00

Subtotal $31,995.00

**Trade-in Value $17,500.00

Net Trade Difference $14,495.00

Taxes $905.58

Total Price $16,012.58

and I still didn't get it....

I just can't justify spending much more than $30K on a vehicle.

Last edited:
Maybe we should have a poll on total auto expenditures throughout life. But that's why we are all here, for the entertainment value, right?
:LOL: I'd like to see such a poll (it would be entertaining for me to see). Some things to think about for such a poll. Daily drivers only? How about collectibles? Repairs and/or restorations cost included? How about motorcycles? Etc, etc, etc. Please be sure your $ "ranges" extend at least into a few million USD.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom