Move with dog..What's all this sniffing going on?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
** Moderators..this should be moved to "Other" category. thx.

I tried to delete and repost. But the delete option didn't show up. **

I'm helping a friend move to an apartment. Been helping with the dog walking. I've noticed during the walks her dog stops and waits, sniffs the grass, sniffs the bushes, sometimes just stands and observes. Usually he's so easy to lead while walking. Is all the sniffing just getting used to the new surroundings? That's what I'm assuming.

Last edited:
I guess that's it, but I wouldn't count on it ending, ever. Our dog is generally pretty well behaved and obedient, but when he goes off on a sniffing and snuffling binge, we just have to wait for him to finish up. He won't come, or pay any real attention to us, until he has his olfactory issues resolved. As we know, dogs' sense of smell is far, far more acute than ours, so we probably can't really understand how they perceive the world.

You're correct in concluding that the dog is getting "the lay of the land". Your friend's dog is reading "messages" left behind by all these unfamiliar dogs in the area. It's olfactory overload for the first week or so.

You're correct in concluding that the dog is getting "the lay of the land". Your friend's dog is reading "messages" left behind by all these unfamiliar dogs in the area. It's olfactory overload for the first week or so.

He'll likely get acclimated faster if you take him on the same route
every time too..

Remember that dogs have their "sense priority" much different than humans, who normally use sight/sound as their #1 & #2 senses.

For a canine, smell is #1, followed by sound, and then sight (for a canine with all senses).

A blind dog with hearing loss can find his way home just by using their "nose" (I know :rolleyes: ).

With the sents from other dogs (especially males, who want to leave their "calling card" on every blade of grass), the dog is just trying to "map" the new neighborhood using his best sense.

I'll agree that in the early weeks, walk him/her in in the same path. That will allow the dog "learn" the neighborhood, but more importanly how to get back home if they need to, on their own...

BTW, make sure that the collar has the updated contact info (license, along with owner phone number) and if the dog is "chipped" (as they all should be) that the contact info on the chip supplier data base is updated.

Think about if you were "dropped" into another country, did not have a map nor knew the local language to ask for directions to your hotel. A dog in a new home/neighborhood is in the same situation.

Yes, I'm trying to take him in familiar routes (in the process of finding him a favorite tree to use). Also, I reward him ("good boy!) when we walk back to the front door as I want him to know his way back should he sneak out without a leash.

Just one? My girl has to pee on every mailbox post.
When we walk our friends dogs, they leave their calling cards all over the route but always on top of a spot they have checked out. I have come to think of it as pmail.

Back
Top Bottom