Moving to Comcast... some questions

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
OK... finally got tired of AT&T and the problems I have with them... so now I am going to get Comcast and have a new set of problems...

I am only going to get internet and phone because if I add TV the cost difference is about what I pay for Dish...

The order that was online has a 'Emta Lease Fee' for $8 per month which they said was a modem for the phone... my sister has Comcast and no such fee...
My question... is this different than the router for computers (saw somewhere that it is for the phone)? Should I get one myself and save the $8? Can I use one that I get or not?

It say that I should have all available equipment ready for the tech... but my sis said she got her wireless router from Comcast...
My question... are they going to provide a wireless router or do I have to buy one?

Anything else that I should know before they get here?

The emta device is typically a combo cable modem + VOIP adapter. I don't have comcast but for my cable connection I don't lease any of their equipment. I bought my own cable modem, router, wireless AP and I use magicjack for VOIP.

Did you look into other VOIP options like MJ or ooma ?

For TV I understand xfinity now requires a digital adapter for each TV, and each one has a lease fee.

When I switched over to Comcast (internet only, I get OTA tv and phone still with ATT), I went ahead and got my own modem. The $8 probably is the monthly rental fee if you lease from them.

There's a list of compatible modems on Comcast's site...

DOCSIS Devices

I have the Comcast TV/phone/internet bundle. They provided the modem. I provided the router. I'm not sure if Comcast would have provided a router if I didn't have one.

The Comcast modem is not the same as a wireless router. It has:
a jack for the incoming cable, (split to tv's in my case)
a jack for the outgoing phone line to phones,
an ethernet jack for a hard line to your wireless router

I haven't seen any cable modems for sale so I can't comment on whether you should provide your own or not. But it seems easier to let them provide the modem - that way any connection problems are theirs.

But I think I would provide my own router if I were you.

Here's a photo of my comcast modem

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-25 at 8.12.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-06-25 at 8.12.27 PM.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 6
I have Comcast, and used to use my older modem, (which still works), but when I signed up this time, I rented. It's a Technicolor wireless TC8305C DocSis 3.0 modem which has 4 router connections built in, and a phone plug in.. (which I don't use)
Since the list on it is about $130 to $160, I figure the $7/mo. rental fee a fair enough deal. Besides, the Comcast guy used to snarl,when he looked at my old modem and that hurt me deeply, as I'm very sensitive.
Though I haven't read through page 207 0f the Comcast contract, I believe that if something goes bad in the modem, I'll get a new one free. Gotta check that with my lawyer.

Last edited:
When you sign up today, the comcast device is a voip modem and wireless router. Even without their phone service and wireless router, I pay a modem rental fee like you do. If you don't have voice, buy a compatible modem (check their site) and avoid the fee. You'll also avoid them turning your access point into public wifi Hotspot. Betcha didn't know that was coming.

I have Comcast, and used to use my older modem, (which still works), but when I signed up this time, I rented. It's a Technicolor wireless TC8305C DocSis 3.0 modem which has 4 router connections built in, and a phone plug in.. (which I don't use)
Since the list on it is about $130 to $160, I figure the $7/mo. rental fee a fair enough deal. Besides, the Comcast guy used to snarl,when he looked at my old modem and that hurt me deeply, as I'm very sensitive.
Though I haven't read through page 207 0f the Comcast contract, I believe that if something goes bad in the modem, I'll get a new one free. Gotta check that with my lawyer.

I've had 2 or 3 comcast modems go bad and they replace them at no cost ( other than the monthly rental fee)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

When you sign up today, the comcast device is a voip modem and wireless router. Even without their phone service and wireless router, I pay a modem rental fee like you do. If you don't have voice, buy a compatible modem (check their site) and avoid the fee. You'll also avoid them turning your access point into public wifi Hotspot. Betcha didn't know that was coming.

Actually I did know it was coming.... told my sis about it and how she could go online and opt out...

OK.. thanks for the info...

My sis does not pay any modem fee even though she does have all services... she does pay the fee for the digital TV for one and has a DVR for the other, so it does not need the box...

imoldernu said:
Though I haven't read through page 207 0f the Comcast contract, I believe that if something goes bad in the modem, I'll get a new one free.
You mean free like replacement cost is included in the monthly charge free?

Is the Comcast price for internet the same whether or not you also have cable TV service with them?

Is the Comcast price for internet the same whether or not you also have cable TV service with them?

When I signed up for the internet several years ago, it came with the basic cable tv package, even though I didn't need the tv. I don't know if you can get internet without basic cable now.

I can't help but wonder if the services being mentioned above are equally available in all areas Comcast serves, or if it's only where they have local competition.

I used to have Comcast. Their local office is in a nice safe, suburban area. They have bullet proof glass separating the staff and customers. I wonder why?

When I signed up for the internet several years ago, it came with the basic cable tv package, even though I didn't need the tv. I don't know if you can get internet without basic cable now.

That's because to limit the unencrypted tv content that's sent down the same coax pipe as the broadband internet would involve inserting a device at the pole. That's a truck roll... that costs money to < insert your cable operator here >

Unless they're coming out to your home to install - they let you have the basic, unencrypted channels for free.

I can't help but wonder if the services being mentioned above are equally available in all areas Comcast serves, or if it's only where they have local competition.

No competition here...

Not sure about other places... but here you can buy TV, voice and/or internet.... you can bundle them however you wish...

The bundle special for 25MB plus nationwide calling is at $49... plus the amount for the modem... adding on to get HD TV with DVR is about the same as I pay for Dish with DVR...

I have thought about doing VOIP on my own, but will worry about that at a later time...

Back
Top Bottom