Never did it, not even once

1. Never sung in key...not even in the shower
2. Had and active life but never broke a bone...smashed my nose on a diving board but I don't think that's really a bone.
3. Never crash an airplane but have been in some weather conditions that weren't very comfortable.
4. Never jumped from an airplane but have wanted to.
5. Never spent a night in a hospital. Born at home when doctors in our area still made house calls. Since then, I guess I've been lucky (see #'s 2, 3 and 4)

I have never consorted with Blue Bunnies.
I have never invested in equities.
I have never been on the internet.
I would never visit an early retirement forum site and participate in "never's".
I have never lied.

;)

... I decided at the age of seven never to touch alcohol, and I never have (50 years and counting). I'm not sure it had anything to do with inner strength - more like sheer pigheadedness and contrariness! When many of the adults around you are drinking to excess, and you see the consequences of that at such a young age, the only logical choice (at least to my young mind) was to avoid it like the plague...
Growing up, I saw an uncle dying in misery as a drug addict. I smoked cigarettes from 17 to 46, about 1/2 pack a day, and that was as bad as I allowed myself to do. No pot, no drug of any kind.

Also, as a kid, I observed another uncle who gambled away his vehicles, his home, stole from my grandmother, and had his wife divorce him. To this day, I do not know how to play any card game, and frankly I found them boring.

I have not done casual sex, let alone one-night stands. I am not religious, nor have higher morals than anyone else. I am not a saint. I just do not find quick sexual gratification worth the hassle or the trouble it causes.

I often talk about enjoying booze, and I drink all kinds of alcoholic beverages: beer, wine, Cognac, whiskey, rum, vodka, all sorts of liquor, etc... But I do not drink daily, or even weekly. The last time I touched liquor was 2 months ago, when my children bought me a bottle of single malt, something I have never tried. It's been even longer than that since I had a beer. In the last month, I have had two small glasses of wine.

My current addiction is to the market and economic news. That interest does not translate into me being a day trader, however. I often brag here that I trade less than the managers of Wellesley, whether that is good or bad. I find economic news (not CNBC which I do not watch anymore) interesting, just like other people like to follow sports news.

Last edited:
I forgot to add that I obey the speed limit, stop for red lights, and make complete stops before right turns. And I do not cheat on taxes.

The last time we were in SF and dining at a French bistro, the bill came out wrong by $30. In my favor! I called the waiter and pointed that out to him. Of course he was surprised. My wife agreed with me that it was the right thing to do.

PS. I have had 3 or 4 traffic tickets in my life, one being a speeding ticket too. I was distracted and did not realize what I was doing. It was unintentional. Not an excuse, but rather an explanation.

Last edited:
After reading the above posts (not only the ones just above, but way above), I feel like I should have been already hit by lightning compared to some folks here.:facepalm:

Getting back to the OP's original question:

I have never left the toilet seat up.

(Which I think should put me back into second position. Sorry about that Lsbcal).

I did, many years ago, so long that I almost forgot. My wife proved to me that I was trainable.

I have never eaten lobster
I have never had an eagle on a par four

I have never been drunk, although I never shunned alcohol. Have some kind of internal switch that makes me feel queasy, well before the "too much to drink" level is reached. Ergo, I've never had a hangover.

I've never done karaoke.

Just looked at my 2 entries, and realized there could be a connection :LOL:

Amethyst

I have never:

Gone to a demonstration
Cheated on my taxes,
Used an ATM,
Been to Europe (on bucket list),
Been to jail,
Gotten caught for a medley of "common activities"....:LOL:

Regretted anything that got me to this time and place with a deep sense of gratitude - and many fun and interesting memories.

OK, to prove that I am no saint, I just remember a few things.

In middle school (a Catholic school at that!), I and a cohort managed to set up huge fire crackers in the rest room. Always a young MacGyver, I devised a delayed fuse such that the bundle blew up when recess was past, and we were lined up to go back to class in a file.

And in my 20s, I took my 280Z to past 90 on a highway to see how it handled.

Oh, but now nearing 60, I cannot see how speed would give me thrills. That stopped long ago, some time in my late 30s or early 40s.

Last edited:
All this saintliness was getting to me, so I went out today and had a cigarette and a cup of coffee. They both tasted like crap, but now there's nothing I haven't tried unless I haven't thought of it yet (or can't afford it). And I'm taking notes from the thread.

All this saintliness was getting to me, so I went out today and had a cigarette and a cup of coffee. They both tasted like crap, but now there's nothing I haven't tried unless I haven't thought of it yet (or can't afford it). And I'm taking notes from the thread.

Yea, I keep looking for new stuff to do, but about everthing on this thread I have done a few times (maybe except go to Antartica). Even last week on the way to Dallas from West Texas, I ran my Jetta turbo charged diesel up to around 100 MPH for a long strech to clean out the injectors and turbo. They call that an "Italian tune up". That was on a road that has a speed limit of 80, so I was not too bad.:D

Yeah, I'm thinking that while all these guys are getting beatified I'll be thinking about the pride I felt at the sheer joy that some of my old lady friends had on their faces when they sang along with Ray "Hit the Road Jack", or later with Carly, "You're So Vain". I'd be ashamed to be as good as many of you dudes, or at least as good as you report, which frankly is very hard to imagine or believe.

If you can't annoy a woman, what use are you?

Ha

You just have to keep in mind that everything you read on the internet is true.:)

It's OK. It goes to show that one does not have to go with the crowd and do things that one does not enjoy. That was the intent of the OP in this thread, I think. Saintliness has nothing to do with it.

And by the way, about the things one could do for a thrill, I guess it is too late for you to go the thing I did in middle school like the story I posted earlier. I still remember how scared my cohort and I were after the deed. The penalty was of course expulsion. I was not at the scene of the explosion - the rest room stalls faced the school courtyard and we were already approaching our classroom and the scene was not in view - but a guy later told us the loud noise knocked down a priest standing nearby by surprise.

We did not blather and claim credit with any other classmates afterward. It was a well-kept secret between the two of us. It's a shame I do not even remember his name or what he looked like.

Last edited:
To quote Harley:
"Never smoked a cigarette or had a cup of coffee. Skipped the gateway drugs completely."

So, you did the coffee and had a cigarette. We are now down to hearing about your gateway drug story...

Talk about gateway drugs, as I said, I used to smoke cigarettes, but nothing else.

Just now, in the hospital and for convalescence at home they gave me Percocet. I don't remember if I had it a long time ago for a bout of recurrent kidney stones, but whatever it was back then, the effect was not memorable. This time, I remember reading about wounded soldiers getting hooked on morphine, so I searched the Web with my laptop from the hospital bed.

I learned for the first time what Percocet and Oxicontin have in common; I read about these names before but never paid any attention. So, I was afraid to take it, and limited myself to only 1/2 of the dosage that the nurses tried to give me. It worked well enough to relieve pain, but other than that, I did not feel anything different.

Being an occasional drinker, I have never felt the addiction to alcohol, but do not want to tempt fate with this pain killer. Its effectiveness as a pain killer surfaced when I tried to cut it out completely after 10 days at home, and realized that I was still in pain and had problems walking.

So, what is it that people pay so much for it on the black market? Obviously, they must take a much stronger dosage to get high or whatever. Would it not be cheaper and legal to boot to knock down a glass of vodka? And I do not understand how alcoholics want to be continuously drunk. It is not a desirable state to be in!

As I cut down on the dosage, I still had some Percocet left, but did not want to touch it. The pain is slowly doing better now though with just Aleve.

PS. I used to smoke only 1/3 - 1/2 pack a day. Even so, it was difficult to quit, but I was able to do it eventually, more than 10 years ago. See my thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/how-did-you-ex-smokers-quit-53622.html.

Last edited:
Another virtuous one here:

I've never stolen a bike.
I've never smoked a joint bigger than my finger.
I've never blew up a high school teacher's mailbox after that first time.

I did have a helluva case of the shakes after being on a morphine drip for 3 days after my last back surgery. Never again!

I never smoked anything or consumed any "substances".
I never had a manicure or pedicure, have no tattoo or piercing - not even for earrings.

I've never slapped anyone. I always am amazed how often someone (usually a woman, but occasionally a guy) slaps someone because the other person said something they didn't like!

I've never slapped anyone. I always am amazed how often someone (usually a woman, but occasionally a guy) slaps someone because the other person said something they didn't like!

I must live a sheltered life. I don't recall ever seeing someone slap another person.

True. I didn't want to do drugs or have sex in high school, and strongly resented the implication that I was somehow a) dorky b) a conceited goody-good because of my perfectly rational leanings. I was not/am not at all saintly, and it seemed to me that all the pressure to do certain things was aimed at gratifying other people, not me.

I was friends with a beautiful girl who was a virgin, and was trying to hide the fact (during group conversations where other teens were bragging) so that she would not be made fun of. We shared our tales of pretending to know what sex was about, when in fact we were not interested in finding out, considering the quality of available partners. (The right prospective partner changes everything, of course).

Amethyst

It's OK. It goes to show that one does not have to go with the crowd and do things that one does not enjoy. That was the intent of the OP in this thread, I think. Saintliness has nothing to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom