New auto safety tech - do you use it?

My co-w*rker was restoring a 60s era Nova. He'd bring it to work on nice days.

When we'd go to lunch, he always said, "Anyone want to ride in the Death Trap?" :)

I always did. And he wasn't joking, especially since during restoration the small amount of pad on the dash was gone with nothing but metal to absorb the impact from your head. It was a fun ride though!

Absolutely love the new car technology and now wanting it in my old truck. Looking to add new infotainment system to the truck that accepts back up camera and Bluetooth to my phone. Ford's infotainment integration in our 2014 Escape has spoiled us. Love being able to call somebody with voice commands.

Because we've enjoyed the new tech gadgets so much, we may upgrade vehicles every 5 years instead of every 20 years. Btw, I want a driverless car badly. "Calgon, take me away".

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind some sort of break assist and lane departure warnings. Backup cam is nice what would be better is just stopping if I am about to back into something though...especially snow banks. Backup camera's don't work well when they are frozen from snow. Found that out the hard way.

New Mazda has the backup camera, backup side warning, keeping in lane warning, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control.
Use all of them except cruise control. Do love the safety upgrades.

I wouldn't mind some sort of break assist and lane departure warnings. Backup cam is nice what would be better is just stopping if I am about to back into something though...especially snow banks. Backup camera's don't work well when they are frozen from snow. Found that out the hard way.

If the backup camera is frozen over with snow then the sensors may be in the same situation and the emergency brake would not save you. In January 2018 we were in Scotland and had parked the car outside where we were staying, and in the morning after it had snowed overnight, on starting the car we had a big warning that the proximity sensors were not working and needed to be cleaned.

Back
Top Bottom