New Computer purchase 2010

What application is driving the need for a separate graphics card?

Windows Home is different from Windows Professional. But for the use you indicated, there is no need for Professional. See the Windows 7 site for details.

Also, at this point, you may as well wait to see what the Monday after thanksgiving has in store in terms of discounts.

My current computer I think is graphics limited. Probably limited by other things, too. This is evident when I go to a graphics loaded web site or run something off of Utube.
Also, integrated graphics are used to save money. Maybe they are cutting corners in other areas, too.
Logical or not, these are my thoughts.

Good to get the thoughts out on paper to see if they merit clinging to.

Free to canoe

Once you go laptop, you never never go back, stop!

A lower end computer with a graphics card holds strong appeal to me.
The CPU rating web site was really helpful in bring order (at least in my mind) to the whole CPU situation. With Staples and other stores, it seems you need to give up the idea of a graphics card and be happy with integrated graphics.

This candidate has appeal to me:
Dell Vostro 430 Mini tower
Intel i3 540
2 G ram
Video card NVIDIA GeForce G310
HD 320G, Window 7 Home
Monitor Dell E2011H Widescreen Flat Panel Display

Price $579

Ram seems a little weak at 2G. Windows 7 Home. Is this and different than Windows 7 professional?

Your input is appreciated.

Free to canoe
4GM of memory is preferable if affordable. What is the maximum memory for this system?

Current integrated graphic chips can handle youtube video or DVD playback with ease. You'll see no issues there. If you plan to run full resolution (1070p) HD video, then I would research the capabilities of the integrated graphics chip (and even the card) to support it.

There are two downsides to the integrated graphic chips that I am aware of
a) They share your system memory. The more memory you allocate to them, the better they perform (up to some limit), but the less that's lef for your system. 4GB should be plenty for both. I have 2GB and don't see any issues. But I haven't tried 1070p HD on my notebook.

b) On some AMD chips, the integrated graphics chip's communication with memory is tied to the processors clock speed. When the processor tries to save energy by dropping its clock speed, the graphics display suffers. I don't think this is an issue with Intel chips, but I don't have current information.

All this talk is making me want to upgrade :)

I like HP desktops, ...
My last three computers have been HP desktops, both "Pavilion", and I currently use two, one running Vista (Intel 64-bit processor) for my wife and one running Linux for me (AMD 64-bit processor). I got mine Summer 2006 -- it's been completely dependable. I added 2GB of ram and a wireless card. Good systems.

This showed up in the Chicago Tribune Frys ad this morning for $549.99 after savings: Dell Inspirion 580-6405NBC. Frys #6403192.
Has Intel Core I3, 6GB RAM, 750 GB HD, Win 7 Home Premium. There's no monitor, but I'm guessing you can save some money here by reusing your old one.

Current integrated graphic chips can handle youtube video or DVD playback with ease. You'll see no issues there. If you plan to run full resolution (1070p) HD video, then I would research the capabilities of the integrated graphics chip (and even the card) to support it.

There are two downsides to the integrated graphic chips that I am aware of
a) They share your system memory. The more memory you allocate to them, the better they perform (up to some limit), but the less that's lef for your system. 4GB should be plenty for both. I have 2GB and don't see any issues. But I haven't tried 1070p HD on my notebook.

b) On some AMD chips, the integrated graphics chip's communication with memory is tied to the processors clock speed. When the processor tries to save energy by dropping its clock speed, the graphics display suffers. I don't think this is an issue with Intel chips, but I don't have current information.

All this talk is making me want to upgrade :)

Thank you for clarifying the graphics situation for me.
Letting go of the graphics card obsession opens up my options.

Free to canoe

Funny about computers and fulfilling your needs. Two years ago I traded a Toshiba laptop and an old desktop system for a new handbuilt desktop. DW wanted a new desktop system also. Now I'm trading both of those for a new laptops. I'm not a fan of laptops but they take up so much less room. I'm sick of my computer desk, the computer, the monitor, the keyboard, the mouse, the lamp, etc. and the mess in general that it creates. I going to trade everything for another laptop and learn to live with it. Everyhthing is going to be wireless for us in the future. My mind is made up. Our printer will be offline. So, DW and I will be back to laptops with a central printer that may be in the garage.

My mind is made up. Our printer will be offline. So, DW and I will be back to laptops with a central printer that may be in the garage.
Not quite following this line of reasoning. I think a wireless single printer for all household computers makes a lot of sense -- that's what I have. But I dislike laptops, and with some effort, I finally persuaded my wife to get a desktop. So we have two desktops, now.

4G is the maximum offered.

Free to canoe
I looked at the Dell configurator for the Dell Vostro 430 Mini tower Intel i3 540 and it offers up to 8GB. I would think that would be enough to keep this computer in productive use for the rest of the decade - as long as you don't upgrade your SW too much over the years. 4GB now, another 4GB in 4-5 years. It has plenty of connections and free bays. It looks like a reasonable configuration.

+1 about Tigerdirect.

Also they have very quick shipping. Even the standard ground shippinng usually arrives quicker than that stated on the order.

I looked at the Dell configurator for the Dell Vostro 430 Mini tower Intel i3 540 and it offers up to 8GB. I would think that would be enough to keep this computer in productive use for the rest of the decade - as long as you don't upgrade your SW too much over the years. 4GB now, another 4GB in 4-5 years. It has plenty of connections and free bays. It looks like a reasonable configuration.

I mentioned this earlier, it's a max of 16GB. The board has space for 4 DIMM chips and can take 4GB in each. Dell seems to have trouble recommending 16GB for any system. Here's a link to the tech specs

Vostro 430 Mini Tower Details | Dell

• Up to 16GB2 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333Mhz - 4 DIMMS
Most people that need to upgrade, usually do it when they initially buy the system or soon after (when you find the prices drop). In all the times I've upgraded the RAM, I never went back to add more 4-5 years later. Keep in mind, systems are obsolete in < 6 months today.

I mentioned this earlier, it's a max of 16GB. The board has space for 4 DIMM chips and can take 4GB in each. Dell seems to have trouble recommending 16GB for any system. Here's a link to the tech specs

Vostro 430 Mini Tower Details | Dell

• Up to 16GB2 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333Mhz - 4 DIMMS
Most people that need to upgrade, usually do it when they initially buy the system or soon after (when you find the prices drop). In all the times I've upgraded the RAM, I never went back to add more 4-5 years later. Keep in mind, systems are obsolete in < 6 months today.
Memory prices decline with time. One should buy now what one needs and in the future what one needs later.

Computer systems are by no means obsolete in 6 months. The system components should function as purchased for many years, and if the user requirements do not change, a computer can easily be productive for over a decade.
What does change are 1) user requirements, and 2) SW. New applications that can exceed the capacity of one's current computer would be processor intensive, such as video editing. New applications that are memory intensive, such as image editing, can be dealt with by adding additional memory. Unnecesary SW version upgrading - such as moving from MS XP to Vista - can also render a current configuration inadequate. This is why people should not upgrade SW unless there is specific application need.

Max memory limits for 64-bit Windows 7 | ZDNet

Is RAM used by anything these days besides the Windows OS?

Yes

HowStuffWorks "Does adding more RAM to your computer make it faster?"

MichaelB,
My comment about computers being obsolete < 6 months, I was referring to the new product cycle. What you see on sale today will be gone in < 6 months. I saw new laptops on sale earlier this year, went on clearance in 3 months and disappeared off the shelfs and replaced with a newer chip/model in the 4th month.

Max memory limits for 64-bit Windows 7 | ZDNet

Is RAM used by anything these days besides the Windows OS? Some sort of memory-boost or speed-boost utility? Because IIRC anything above 4GB for a 32-bit Win7 is a waste of money...
For 32-bit, the limit is 3.5GB.
For 64-bit OSs like 64 bit versions of Linux & Windows 7, it is much higher - like your link explains.

Today's programs are more bloated than ever! And most of them need a lot of run-time support - all of which takes up memory.

OS's use the spare memory - that not used by programs - to cache data. It is much faster to access data in memory than on disk, so you'll see a dramatic increase in performance.

What a coincidence, I was about to say the same regarding a [-]30"[/-] 23" flat-screen LCD monitor...

or even a Vizio 37" Razor LED TV being used as a computer monitor! Bought it at WalMart about a month ago and LOVE it.

Back
Top Bottom