Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-25-2017, 06:09 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I could see a 10 sec runoff if it was a longer pass but they had plenty of time to run another play on such a short field. Unfortunate way to lose a game.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2017, 07:54 PM   #82

The Bears are unstoppable. Played decent defense and the running game saved the day. Now to find a passing game.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:13 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
Did you read the rule I quoted? The rule is specifically about a "botched call" that is overturned on review... not an injury or a penalty. There's nothing to re-interpret here. The rule is designed exactly for the situation that happened - a play that stopped the clock based on the original call on the field being reviewed and the ruling switched to one in which the clock should have continued running.
My bad - I skimmed over some of the quotes here (and I read quite a few others today on other forums)... yours was the first to specify its use for an overturned call.

My understanding was the intent of this rule is to prevent an offense from intentionally stopping the clock when out of timeouts.

Re: yesterdays Falcons/Lions game, it still seems like Detroit was penalized for the refs making the wrong call on the field. Anyway, thanks for clarifying the rule!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:12 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
The Bears are unstoppable. Played decent defense and the running game saved the day. Now to find a passing game.
What a bonehead play by Cooper after the blocked FG. He stopped running at the 10 yard line and was caught from behind by the Steelers' tight end and they had to settle for a FG. Bad showmanship almost cost them the game.

If he played for the PATS he would have been cut today.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
What a bonehead play by Cooper after the blocked FG. He stopped running at the 10 yard line and was caught from behind by the Steelers' tight end and they had to settle for a FG. Bad showmanship almost cost them the game.

I wish the Bears would have cut him today.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:00 AM   #86

Quote:
The Texans are heading in the right direction in my opinion. The defense has been good with Watt and Clowney but now the offense seems to have improved with the rookie QB.
Agree. I was concerned that Watt wouldn't be ~100% after his injuries last year but it looks like he's back at/or near full strength. Heck even at 90%, he'd be awesome.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

+1 true bonehead
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

I watched the Cards and Boys play last night. I thought the Cards Defense had a good game plan going in but somewhere along the way they botched the whole thing. They were selling out to stop the run early and daring Dak to beat them through the air. That was working pretty well, and then Dak made a couple of really good throws and they started defending the rest of the field better. That opened up holes for Elliot to kill them in the running game. The offense which had held the Dallas D off early, seemed to wilt about halfway through the second quarter and Dallas was getting to Carson with a 3 man rush.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:54 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffman52 View Post
I watched the Cards and Boys play last night. I thought the Cards Defense had a good game plan going in but somewhere along the way they botched the whole thing. They were selling out to stop the run early and daring Dak to beat them through the air. That was working pretty well, and then Dak made a couple of really good throws and they started defending the rest of the field better. That opened up holes for Elliot to kill them in the running game. The offense which had held the Dallas D off early, seemed to wilt about halfway through the second quarter and Dallas was getting to Carson with a 3 man rush.
I am not sure Dallas wins without that D-Line's 6 sacks including 3 by DeMarcus Lawrence alone.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:46 PM   #90

NFL: 2017 Season

Wow, watching fans sitting on metal bleachers in pouring rain while the game is delayed and field cleared due to lighting in the area. Bears v. Packers Thursday Night Football
Old 09-28-2017, 09:27 PM   #91

Who's in first? Who's in last?
Old 09-28-2017, 11:11 PM   #92

What a horrible hit the Bears' Trevathan made on the Packers' Adams. A clearly intentional, vicious hit like that should result in a suspension. If it's a first offense then I guess one game would be ok but if he's done it before then it should be 4 games minimum. Inexcusable. Luckily it looks like he'll be ok. If he wasn't ok then that should treated as a criminal act.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:32 AM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

After 30 years of being a loyal NFL fan, Saturday is now the only day that I watch feetball. If I want to watch politics or talking head/pundit debates, there are more than enough outlets for that. I'm done.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:32 AM   #94
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
After 30 years of being a loyal NFL fan, Saturday is now the only day that I watch feetball. If I want to watch politics or talking head/pundit debates, there are more than enough outlets for that. I'm done.
So why post in this thread?
Old 10-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Falcons blew a winnable game at home. The bye could not come at a better time. Julio out with a hip flexor injury, Sanu out with a hamstring, Jack Crawford may be out for the year, Ryan Shraeder Cocussion protocol, Ricardo Allen concussion protocal, Trevon Ward out with a neck injury, Vic Beasely out with a hamstring, Courtney Upshaw out with an ankle iinjury

I tip my hat to the Bills who came in and played a very good game. Their kicker is money!!! Injuries are never an excuse in the NFL. Next man up. The one bad call was blatently bad but the Falcons had plenty of opportunity to put this game away. 2nd and 1 in the redzone, 3rd and 1 in the redzone, 4th and 1 in the redzone with 40 seconds left. Falcons didnt execute and it cost them the game. Falcons coaches, read my lips, RUN THE D*** BALL!!!!
Old 10-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Looks like it's not going to be a good year for the Pats, though they did start out 2-2 in 2014 and put together a decent season. The O is OK, but the D is the worst I can remember for quite a while. Time will tell...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:26 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Looks like it's not going to be a good year for the Pats, though they did start out 2-2 in 2014 and put together a decent season. The O is OK, but the D is the worst I can remember for quite a while. Time will tell...
+1. I haven't seen such a bad defense during the Belichick era. They did turn it around and won the SB in 2014 but the defense wasn't as bad.

The secondary was suppose to be the most talented they've had in years but they seem to be confused on coverage and leaving receivers wide open. Hopefully they can turn it around...
Old 10-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

-1 there have been many years where they struggled during the regular season and made continual improvements and were in good form by the time the playoffs rolled around.... a likely scenario this year (I hope).
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:46 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffman52 View Post
Falcons blew a winnable game at home.!
Did the Oakland Raiders throw the game against the Redskins?
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
And they are very lucky they are not 1 and 3. Houston had them beat until the last minute of the game last week. Yes, a win is a win but that was a close one and should not have been.