Join Early Retirement Today
NiMH batteries in camera
Old 06-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
NiMH batteries in camera

I have normally used alkaline batteries in my digital camera. New ones
seem to be 1.50v and used ones (warning on camera) 1.35v when removed.
I got some NiMH batteries. New in the package they were 1.16 v. A 1 hr charge got them to 1.27v; 2 more hrs to 1.31v, charging 6 more hrs did not increase the voltage and I noticed they were warmer then than before.
The next day, they were 1.26 v.

Will these really work in the camera.

kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
A brand-new NiMH cell used at very low discharge rates can sometimes produce 1..4 volts, but this is very unusual and most cells produce 1.2 to 1.25 volts in use. The discharge curve is relatively "flat"--they'll keep producing 1.2 volts until they are nearly done, then the voltage will plunge.

Most devices that will run on the "standard" 1.5V alkaline cells will also work with the NiMH cells. I'd guess the camera's "change battery" warning might not be accurate with the lower "native" voltage of the NiMH cells. It would be a good idea to keep some alkaline cells on hand with the camera until you figure out how well it works with the NiMH cells.

T-Al is a fount of knowledge on these rechargables, hopefully he'll chime in. Search this board for "Eneloop" for some of his previous postings.

"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Will these really work in the camera.
I use the Eneloop AA batteries in my digital camera, and they seem to last longer than alkaline batteries. In fact, the description of the Eneloop batteries on Amazon (link below) discusses the advantages of 1.2v vs 1.5v. eneloop NEW 2000mAh Typical, 1900mAh Minimum, 1500 cycle, 4 Pack AA, Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries: Electronics
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
samclem/Lakedog.....thanks for the replies and the link (LD)......took me awhile to find what you described.......didn't realize the page was so long!

ok , sounds like they should work......but I found this......don't know how long ago it's from............

"As batteries go, AAs are highly standardized, but some AAs have more insulation around their negative terminals than others.

Inadequate insulation around AA negative terminals can result in shorts in some cameras.
Shorts involving low-resistance rechargeables like NiMH AAs can cause serious camera damage. If your camera is AA-compatible, the manual will probably spell out which makes or negative terminal configurations are compatible with its battery compartment. Don't let this dissuade you from using rechargeable AAs, but do confirm compatibility before buying."

The manual didn't mention anything about brands. The batteries I have are from Frys Electronics.........brand name Tenergy. Anyone use those?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets
The lower voltage is a disadvantage with NiMH batteries. How well they work is dependent on the design of the product they are trying to be used in. The most prevalent problem is hitting the low voltage shutoff which while at the typical end of usefulness for other type cells end up being at the low nominal of NiMH. There's various reasons for limiting operation at lower voltages. The design may be more voltage dependent vs. current that the NiMH's excel at.

Some products skirt the issue and their manuals state they are not designed to use them.
Bogo is offline   Reply With Quote