Have You Ever Given Away Old Tech That You Regret?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've been feeling nostalgic lately about back in the say when digital cameras was a new thing.

Old point and shoots from around the 2000's are actually on the comeback thanks to Gen Z's search for meaning (that's a whole different post).

Years ago, I had a mint condition Sony Mavica camera that was one of the models that recorded on a 3.5 inch floppy. But eventually I donated it away to Goodwill when the battery died and everywhere I looked, new cameras were out with higher resolution and used SD cards.

Still, that Mavica was quite able for quick and dirty snaps and posting stuff like on ebay. Plus, the camera as great for closeups like taking a snap of a postage stamp. Actually, when I got had the Mavica, ebay wasn't that big of a thing nor Amazon. A dead battery was a big deal. Unlike today where one can easily get a replacement.

Another tech regret that I gave away was a Mac Plus computer. Similar to the Mavica, I felt didn't need as newer stuff were coming out. Yet, still have some donor's regret.

My first computer, a Timex Sinclair 1000. I wonder if it is a collectors item now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Sinclair_1000

I still have my Timex Sinclair 1000 buried in storage. Along with a TRS-80 Model 100 Notebook. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80_Model_100

Should have made room for the Mavica and Mac Plus too.

I'm even considering getting an old Mavica from ebay to replace my old one. But don't know if that would have the same emotional feel as my old one since I know it's not the original.

Hand made old school steel bike frame. Heavy and out of date. I think about how cool it would be to have that frame today.

No. The newer stuff is so much better and maintenance of old equipment is a hassle. I can’t recall anything I regret getting rid of. I will admit though that I hold on to things for quite awhile. So, by the time I get rid of it, I know I haven’t used it or wanted it for awhile.

As for close up pictures, I’m sure you could get better pictures with your phone, assuming you have a relatively new phone. You may need to buy a lens kit but I’m sure you could do better with the phone or something else you probably still have.

Not that I regret, really. I've been in de-cluttering mode, especially since DH died in 2016, and if I don't use it, out it goes.

I sold his Nikon camera- found I preferred the smartphone or my Canon Tough since they were far more portable even though the bigger ones have more features and better quality.

Free Stuff on FaceBook- the turntable and the vinyl records were hot items.

Nothing that I can think of. Of course I hoard a lot of stuff. Still have all my old 35mm cameras, Vic20 computer, original Atari console and games, etc.

Last edited:
No regrets on any of the old tech I've discarded or donated. I would have far more discomfort from stacks of that stuff taking up space and collecting dust over the years.

If people didn't give away older tech, my computer recycling non-profit would have been dead. Been running it since 1992 through my Rotary club, & we've put thousands of computers into schools & non-profits throughout the state. Just put a complete Windows lab into a small charter school, & the kids are ecstatic!

If people didn't give away older tech, my computer recycling non-profit would have been dead. Been running it since 1992 through my Rotary club, & we've put thousands of computers into schools & non-profits throughout the state. Just put a complete Windows lab into a small charter school, & the kids are ecstatic!

Good work, awesome! :cool:

I am an advert collector of "Old Tech". I'm talking pre-electric old though. Got started watching my great Grandfather make things as a kid. Some of my greatest treasures are his hand tools I still have.

I am an advert collector of "Old Tech". I'm talking pre-electric old though. Got started watching my great Grandfather make things as a kid. Some of my greatest treasures are his hand tools I still have.
My Great Grandfather was a woodworker (hobbyist I think) and somehow a number of his hand tools survived and found their way to me. A few specialty hand saws, several hand planes and some wood chisels. Probably ~150 years old now and all are still usable.

I even have a small wooden table he made with a "checker board" top. Extraordinarily well made. If he made the checkers too, they have been lost somewhere along the way. :(

Last edited:
I don't have any regrets on getting rid of all my old technology items. But in hindsight, I wish I had written down the details of everything I have owned thru the years...

Cell phones, Blackberries, handheld computer devices (iPads and earlier attempts to get this right), iPods, and full computers. During my years at various technology MegaCorps, I was buying the newest device about every year. Sometimes twice a year.

I probably could have retired a year or 2 earlier if I had all the money back that I have spent on these things.

My cousin has my grandfathers old hand tools (did carpentry work in his day). He still uses them and likes them better than some new stuff!

several hand planes and some wood chisels. Probably ~150 years old now and all are still usable.

I have my GG set of matched planes that he used to make T&G planks for projects. Seen a set in an antique store a few years ago.... $500.
Currently working on restoring a Hi-Chair... My Grandparents picked it up at a thrift store and painted it for us when we were expecting our 1st child.

I miss the Sony Walkmans I used in my 20s and 30s when running, biking, and in the gym. I gave away the first one.

The second one was an early 90s, high-end Walkman that had a remote built into the the earphone cable. My dad gave it to me for my 30th birthday. The remote let you easily adjust the volume, fast forward or reverse the tape, or play the other side. It was the cat's meow for sports. Then one day in the gym locker room I left my bag on the counter during a quick restroom stop, and someone stole it.

I still remember the feeling the little lurch in my waistbag when the tape flipped sides or I fast-forwarded...

But then MP3 players came out and I got an iPod Shuffle. MEOW! I was ecstatic! It was a runner's dream for playing music. Still have that 1st gen Shuffle, and still use a 2nd gen Shuffle, the one that clips to your shirt. It's easier than carting around the phone for music while working out.

My favorite computer game ever was Telengard for the Commodore 64. I miss that game to this day. I found an online simulation of it but it’s not the full game and you can’t save your progress. I’d love to fire up a C-64 with a copy of Telengard again.

Not really. Instead i buy old tech. Bought a box full of old wooden carpenter planes, levels, folding rules a year ago. Acquired a bull nose lead. Currently working on a Griswold waffle iron with tall base for use on a wood stove. Tickles me to see the tech of times past and how problems were addressed.

Love some of the old tech...still have it

But then MP3 players came out and I got an iPod Shuffle. MEOW! I was ecstatic! It was a runner's dream for playing music. Still have that 1st gen Shuffle, and still use a 2nd gen Shuffle, the one that clips to your shirt. It's easier than carting around the phone for music while working out.

I love my shuffles (I have two) but neither seem to be working. I haven't used them for a few years but wanted to get out and do some more walking and listen to them. Did anything change in the last few years that I need to know? I downloaded itunes and my songs are still in my account, but there doesn't seem to be anything on my shuffles.

I have a TI 59 programmable calculator. Still works.

Back
Top Bottom