Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wouldn't want to have to pay for all those weddings. Yikes!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I wouldn't want to have to pay for all those weddings. Yikes!
I know it's hard to tell from the photo as they were in their Sunday best outfits, but the family was very poor. There were no fancy weddings for these girls.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

I spent a couple weeks this month visiting my Dad & brother. (Dad's Alzheimer's symptoms are relentlessly progressing, but hopefully being mitigated by Aricept and a low dose of Lexapro.) One of my projects during my “spare” time was to finish going through the box of photos that Dad had tucked away in a corner of his apartment closet.

I bought a Costco scanner, set it up in my hotel room, and started running photos across the platen. I accidentally discovered that the scanner could do auto-cropping-- as long as the photos were separated by a quarter-inch, I could put at least four of them on the platen and get four separate JPEG files.

Talk about a trip down memory lane. When I graduated high school in 1978 and left for college a few weeks later, my family moved out to Colorado. I only visited “home” a couple times since then, so I hadn't seen these photos for three decades. Some things I'd just forgotten-- like my grandfather being at USNA's Parents Weekend along with my Dad. Of course other memory neurons were anesthetized by alcohol...
Old 09-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #64

I saw the story on 60 minutes about face-blindness. My first year in college, I had the very odd experience of being spotted by a super-recognizer, a girl from my first grade class, at a school I only attended for part of a single school year. She gave the name of the school, and I still have all my school pictures and was able to recognize her when I went home and looked. She recognized me despite the fact that in first grade I had my hair natural and in pigtails, no glasses and a very receding chin, while by the time I arrived at UC Davis I had straight hair, glasses and had acquired a chin in the course of my orthodontic treatment. If they weren't all in storage I would scan my first grade class picture and my high-school graduation one to show how much I had changed. It still boggles my mind that she would recognize me after all that time.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #65

Here's a not, not, not so recent photo:

My maternal grandparents, circa 1905.......(as a kid I thought he was the Mayor......later I realized he was a Mason. )

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Here's a not, not, not so recent photo:

My maternal grandparents, circa 1905.......(as a kid I thought he was the Mayor......later I realized he was a Mason. )

I have a picture of my maternal grandmom with the exact same hairstyle. Must have been popular back then!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

While going through my mother's stuff recently, I came across this one that I love. She was a WAC in WW II. Remember the old taunt, "Your mother wears Army boots."? Well, yes, actually.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
While going through my mother's stuff recently, I came across this one that I love. She was a WAC in WW II. Remember the old taunt, "Your mother wears Army boots."? Well, yes, actually.
Great photo!

Ha
Old 09-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #69

Wow!... this thread has really spread out...

First... Sympathy to all who have problems recognizing faces... Am a victim of prosopagnosia... which was not the best affliction for a national sales manager... Ah me... fate plays cruel tricks... Ya just have to learn to "associate" and do some white lying... As ya get older, it doesn't matter so much, thank goodness.

Now... Pictures... Hmmm... just checked and have 62,000+ jpg's. Many dupes because of editing, slide shows etc.

Two recent "problems?"... Last year BIL decided to unload the family photos, and we became recipients... Two huge boxes FULL!... going back to 1850's.
Spent two weeks scanning thousands of pics only to end up with a dead hard drive...

Now... a week ago, a big box of pics, snapshots and miscellaneous albums from my 92 years old aunt... Cost her $38 to ship the box... OMG... the pics also go waaaay back... 1870's...

Found out that many family members were reasonably well off and owned some major businesses... NOTHING... came down our way....

Spent several years as archivist for our senior community... Photo shopping etc.

Now... as to face recognition... Am totally amazed by Picasa face recognition.... Passed my 60M pics through and found amazing accuracy... identifying faces from age 3 to age 60... unerring accuracy. Takes forever to do the scan with that many pics... Many overnights.

.................................................. ......
Sharing my favorite... My Grandmother Matilda, Grandfather Tom, and my mother as a baby... Probably October 1911... (mom was born Apr. 1 1911). The Harley (I think) is a 1911... The wicker sidecar was probably a local mfg... since Harley didn't build a side car in 1909. The pic was taken in the neighborhood where grandparents lived in Central Falls RI... I remember playing in that yard as a child in the 1940's.

The pic was found in a farmhouse that was being demolished in Central New York... (owned by an distant cousin).

Old 10-01-2012, 02:28 AM   #70

Love GM's crash helmet!

Old 10-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I have an old one of my mother as a child at a family picnic and one of my brothers and I that looks older than it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mom_picnic_1915.jpg (768.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Steve_Don_Dave_stagecoach.jpg (754.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I have an old one of my mother as a child at a family picnic and one of my brothers and I that looks older than it is.
Is that Buster Keaton at the far end of the table?

Old 11-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Me as a kid. Mom sure did dress me up cute!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic.jpg (57.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

My Mom and I as babies.
Born 1927 and 1958, same birthday.

My maternal grandparents, different ages in photos.

Me at age 21, right after I met my future husband2b in my senior year of college.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BabyPic.JPG (106.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P4220001.jpg (775.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Jackie1985.jpg (370.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
My Mom and I as babies.
Born 1927 and 1958, same birthday.

My maternal grandparents, different ages in photos.

Me at age 19, right after I met my future husband2b in my senior year of college.
You were and are a beautiful woman! Do I detect a bit of a Farrah Fawcett influence in your choice of hairstyle? Been there, done that
Old 11-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

TY Purron

And in its very first Internet debut, my wedding photo, age 25 in 1984.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wedding1984corr.jpg (20.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Cute pics y'all.

Here's my favorite pic of my momma and me taken in the summer of 1958 (please pardon the glare).

I sure do miss her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02657.jpg (349.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #78

Am now about half way through the pics my 92yr old aunt sent to me, and came across some tiny snapshots of our wedding....
It was July 1958, and necessarily a limited budget. The reception was at the Lawn Bowling Green, which was the central place for all of the English and Scotch families in our little community of Fairlawn (rental $15). Total cost about $400, including sandwiches and a 4 hour open bar. Probably about 150 friends and relatives.

Couldn't afford a photographer so my mom did the honors with her little Kodak Brownie.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Am now about half way through the pics my 92yr old aunt sent to me, and came across some tiny snapshots of our wedding....
It was July 1958, and necessarily a limited budget. The reception was at the Lawn Bowling Green, which was the central place for all of the English and Scotch families in our little community of Fairlawn (rental $15). Total cost about $400, including sandwiches and a 4 hour open bar. Probably about 150 friends and relatives.

Couldn't afford a photographer so my mom did the honors with her little Kodak Brownie.
Great picture! Both look like you are in your teens. Is that a cig in your left hand? Seems like everybody smoked back then.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Great picture! Both look like you are in your teens. Is that a cig in your left hand? Seems like everybody smoked back then.
If it's a doobie, that explains the big grins