Nothing good to watch on TV

tmm99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Summer is here and all the shows I enjoyed watching are over except for The Firm and Breaking Bad hasn't started.

Any good off season shows?

We just set up Roku and online Netflix. There are lots of choices to watch now.
We've been watching lots of PBS shows lately, like Doc Martin, Masterpiece, and others. We just finished watching the series Battlestar Galactica through Netflix and it was very good. I'm not a big Sci-Fi fan, but I did enjoy it quite a bit.

I really like many of the USA network shows like Suits, Necessary Roughness, Royal Pains, Fairly Legal and Common Law. Light and entertaining.

How about Dallas on TNT. I have the first two episodes recorded, but haven't seen them yet. Used to love that show back in the 80s before we moved to Dallas area.

How about some REALLY old re-runs? My cable company provides a couple of channels that show them continually. I watched the original "Dragnet" last night, and "The Bob Newhart Show" earlier in the week. Ah, for those simpler times... :)

Ah, for those simpler times... :)
Heck, we're the same age (about). Remember our "fears" at that age? :cool:

It's kind of funny, but as you grow older you wonder if we've been here before, in some manner?

Heck, we're the same age (about). Remember our "fears" at that age? :cool:

It was a pretty scary world back then, now that I think of it. You're right. The A-Bomb was supposed to annihilate all of us imminently.

rescueme said:
It's kind of funny, but as you grow older you wonder if we've been here before, in some manner?

It's almost as though time is echoing itself. I have tried to explain this to (real life) friends and I don't know if they get it.

But anyway, it's fun to watch the old shows sometimes.

Who needs TV in summer, it's time to go outside!

TV is for winter when it's too cold to stay outside...and even then there's little worth watching.

Thank you guys (and gals) for all your responses. I should have been a bit more specific, but all your suggestions are well noted. :greetings10:

I went through NetFlix already (actually a few months ago). I watched all the documentaries I wanted to watch and I am not finding anything else I want to watch. I did find Damages (TV series), however which was quite good, but they don't have the newer season released on NetFlix yet, so I am still waiting.

I don't know how many times I watched Battlestar Galactica over the last few years, and I am not even a SciFi fan! (but Battlestar Galactica is a great show!)

I guess I like dramas - gripping ones are even better (and that's why I listed Breaking Bad and The Firm.)

Are there any new off-season shows that started? (I will look up Dallas on TNT! I tend to like TV series that kind of builds on top of the last episode.)

I really like many of the USA network shows like Suits, Necessary Roughness, Royal Pains, Fairly Legal and Common Law. Light and entertaining.

I don't know which ones are light (all of them light?), but I will definitely look them up.

OK, if you like dogs (like we do), you might enjoy "Dogs in the City." Sort of a NYC Dog Whisperer FWIW...

My TV diet; Charlie Rose, Jon Stewart, Bill Mahr, golf channel, various news and financial networks and that about does it. Did catch the three part story of the Hatfields and McCoys, which was well done. Most of the prime time reality shows I have no use for.

Right now I get local stations (not PBS) and a few Spanish language stations that come free with my cable internet. A few months ago I decided to pay up and get a complete package. I leaned that I hate all of it. (I discontinued and went back to the internet base condition.) For one thing, something about watching TV during daylight makes me feel bad. And up here in early summer it seems that it is always daylight.

Usually by the time I have finished up dinner and dishes, showered and got ready for bed if I want to do anything I want to read a little. I don't really like to read during the day either.

Mostly I get DVD movies from the library. Sometimes I get very good surprises. Generally I might watch a portion one night, and perhaps complete the movie over several days or even a week.

Ha

frayne said:
My TV diet; Charlie Rose, Jon Stewart, Bill Mahr, golf channel, various news and financial networks and that about does it. Did catch the three part story of the Hatfields and McCoys, which was well done. Most of the prime time reality shows I have no use for.

Just think how much money we could save if we could just pick our channels ale cart. I think I would only need 6 at the most.

Just think how much money we could save if we could just pick our channels ale cart. I think I would only need 6 at the most.
As you may know, there are lots of rumors that Apple would like to shake up TV the same way they did with music by offering alacarte TV, basically as you describe. We could probably live with no more than 6 networks ourselves. Evidently ESPN has had an unfriendly relationship with cable providers almost from the start, and that could help Apple get the ball rolling. Who knows...

We prefer the Netflix DVD's to streaming. The streaming offerings seem to be a subset of the DVD's. Some of the English TV offerings are really fun.

If you are interested in sports, Euro 2012 is in progress right now. If you are not familiar with it. It is like a mini world cup with just european teams in it. Many say it's better than the world cup. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's on ESPN(2) usually in the morning or around noon.

Midpack said:
As you may know, there are lots of rumors that Apple would like to shake up TV the same way they did with music by offering alacarte TV, basically as you describe. We could probably live with no more than 6 networks ourselves. Evidently ESPN has had an unfriendly relationship with cable providers almost from the start, and that could help Apple get the ball rolling. Who knows...

Espn, Espn 2, Fox News, TNT, TBS, Fox Sports mid west, buy the NHL and NFL Package, and Im good to go.

Try 'Touch' and 'Rookie Blue'. You can watch them both for free at Hulu.

We just watched on Netflix Season 1 of Lillyhammer. Super funny with Steven Van Zandt (Sopranos and E Street Band). Note: bad language and brief nudity, but a riot to watch!)

Easypick said:
We just watched on Netflix Season 1 of Lillyhammer. Super funny with Steven Van Zandt (Sopranos and E Street Band). Note: bad language and brief nudity, but a riot to watch!)

I agree. a pretty funny show

DOWNTON ABBEY is fun. HOMELAND was pretty good. Season 1 of Walking Dead was fun too.
If you have never seen The Sopranos the first 3 seasons were great. Critics rave about The Wire- I could not get into it. Too many characters and not enough Baltimore accents. Mad Men Season 1 was good but I did not care enough to keep with it. I rejoined it this season and could easily follow it and enjoyed it.

It's hot in New Orleans too, but for some reason I seem to be able to think of lots to do. I am continually amazed at the fact that for me, retirement is so full and not boring at all.

Back
Top Bottom