Obsolete Technology

Thanks. So if I understand you correctly, a NAS is kind of like a shared external drive?

A NAS is an array of disks (or just one), that others on the network can share. Your description is very good, also. The "box" has an embedded OS and memory, so it can manage users, share properties, etc. You could think of it as a mini server, but much less complicated.

Many home routers have a USB port, and you can plug in a USB memory stick, or an external USB drive. Open the router interface, and share. Put your photos and music on that, and enjoy.

I have a 32 or 64GB memory stick plugged into our Netgear router. For us, it's a temporary dumping ground for items to transfer or share between home network devices.

Recent tests showed the Apple Watch to have the greatest accuracy among wrist heart rate monitors.
How does it work with multi-chamber pacemakers? Many of the HRM just can't deal with the PM modification to the signals.

I have the samsung gear fit2 and like it. I also have a samsung smart phone, so the phone/watch integration is really good. I think that's an important attribute to take into consideration.

+1 for the Samsung Gear Fit 2.

I love the size and the heart rate functions have been great.

$149 at Best Buy right now.

Thanks. So if I understand you correctly, a NAS is kind of like a shared external drive?

Yes the computer using it just sees it as an drive on another computer. Might have to add a usb board to the computer for a bunch of drives (to give each disc a full usb 3.0 connection)

I'll never forget my techno-resistant cousin, on Christmas Morning, as his kids unwrapped the household's first desktop computer. I can't remember the exact year but the boxes looked like a cow's fur.
He implored his wife and kids,"Hurry, hurry! Put this thing together before it's obsolete!"
Of course, a week into the new year the company was advertising a newer, better version.

How does it work with multi-chamber pacemakers? Many of the HRM just can't deal with the PM modification to the signals.

I think you would have to ask the pacemaker manufacturer that question.

However, the watch uses optical sensors to monitor your heart beat. There are no electrical signals so my guess is that there would be no interference.

My first sale in the IT business was a 4K, yes 4K, memory board for an NCR Century mainframe. Also sold some 'core' memory.

It is now obsolete.

Don't get me started on motherboards and processors. Every new processor needs a new MB apparently. And new and better memory.

Your SSDs now need to be m.2 nVME, whatever that is. DDR4 is soo much better and you can chuck your DDR3 memory. USB 3.whatever and HDMI 1.whatever, because you are lame otherwise.

Your SSDs now need to be m.2 nVME, whatever that is. DDR4 is soo much better and you can chuck your DDR3 memory. USB 3.whatever and HDMI 1.whatever, because you are lame otherwise.

M.2 is a physical form factor - it's great for small devices (laptops and "small form factor" boxes, but less interesting for larger computers. NVMe is an electrical and software interface designed to take advantage of "Non-Volatile Memory", that is, flash memory/SSDs.

As for DDR4, etc., you need to see what your motherboard supports. They're not interchangeable. Your general point that older standards tend to go obsolete is on point, but that's been the case for a very long time.

As for DDR4, etc., you need to see what your motherboard supports. They're not interchangeable. Your general point that older standards tend to go obsolete is on point, but that's been the case for a very long time.

Yeah, if they made the components backward compatible, the manufacturers wouldn't sell as many new devices. :D

I'll never forget my techno-resistant cousin, on Christmas Morning, as his kids unwrapped the household's first desktop computer. I can't remember the exact year but the boxes looked like a cow's fur.
He implored his wife and kids,"Hurry, hurry! Put this thing together before it's obsolete!"
Of course, a week into the new year the company was advertising a newer, better version.
Gateway. Bought by Acer.

Back
Top Bottom