O'Conner retires

Yup! - Bush wants a "Dignified Process" for the selection of the next Supreme.

If he selects someone as far right as himself, he will see the most Dignified Filibuster ever!  :D

It's all a crapshoot.

Wasn't Souter supposed to be a moderate conservative?

Game time. There'll be all kinds of noooclear options before this is over. Gonna be fun to watch. :D

Main contender is samuel alito. GW's dad nominated him to the federal appeals court. Strong anti-abortionist.

Frequently referred to as "sc-alito" or scalito-lite.

moghopper said:
It's all a crapshoot.

Wasn't Souter supposed to be a moderate conservative?

Right. He was an H. W. Bush appointee. Blackmun (retired in 1994) was a Nixon appointee; he greatly disappointed the conservatives.

If memory serves, Earl Warren was appointed by Eisenhower. Mr. Warren was a Republican governor from California and was expected to be conservative. Didn't happen. Impeach Earl Warren billboards sprung up in the South. When they get on the Supreme Court, they can do what they think is right. And they should.

And by then - they earn their curmudgeon badges sooner than ER's do.

There's a pube in my Coke!!

More fireworks than the 4th of July...

It was interesting to see Sen. Kennedy at the press conference firing off the first salvo in the war.
He was looking good - lost some weight.

Isn't this a great country - someone who can kill someone can take the high ground and vote on who should be a justice on the US Supreme court?

I was speaking with someone about 30 who didn't even know he killed someone.

I think our politician have a vested interest in our poor school system. If people are uneducated you can tell them what to think and that they need you.

I was speaking with someone about 30 who didn't even know he killed someone.

Kennedy may have killed someone in a car accident and did not report it, becuase he was trying to cover up an affair maybe. But, you kinda make it sound like first degree murder, where he plotted someone's death. :confused:

Well as long as we are going to take some partisian shots. Do you want to frame Bush Jr.'s involvement in sending and killing over 1500 Americans into Iraq? How many Irag Civilians did he murder? I would guess that you should be even more incensed at this?
Let's hear your outrage!

dex said:
Isn't this a great country - someone who can kill someone can take the high ground and vote on who should be a justice on the US Supreme court?

Laura Bush can't vote in the Senate, at least not directly. Ohhh, you were talking about Kennedy. ;)

eridanus said:
Laura Bush can't vote in the Senate, at least not directly. Ohhh, you were talking about Kennedy.  ;)

I read this 3 times and I don't get it. Can't be a cocktail hour post at
2:50 am. BTW, I don't have to tell you what I think of Kennedy, but
even I believe we should stop flogging him for what he did or did not
do all of those decades ago. He who is without sin, etc etc..............

JG

I think Laura is more prettier than Ted is handsome - and I'm a Dem.

Back to my left handed theory - after we get through all the screaming and yelling, smoke and fire, etc., etc. and someone actually makes it  -

After a short period - they realize they can't be canned - so the old curmudgeon certificate comes out of closet - and make some - 'who would of thunk it opinions' in the stretch.

Heh. heh. heh - sort of like the freedom - the FI part - gives some of us ER'S.

re: Laura Bush. He may be refering to her allegedly running a stop sign and killing someone. I heard about this during Dubya's first run for the presidency.

"There's a pube in my Coke!!" :LOL:

Is BORK still alive? and available.

I thought Rhenquist would have been next. Sandra is too young to retire.

I remember when O'Conner got appointed. I was so disappointed in the move towards conservatives. Now I am disappointed in her retiring at this time. Good chance Bush also gets to appoint a chief justice as well.

Thomas and Scalia, Bushes heros, are never going to be like Earl Warren or Blackman.

There will be a bloodbath but in the end we will have a very conservative judge on the bench.

Martha said:
I remember when  O'Conner got appointed.  I was so disappointed in the move towards conservatives.  Now I am disappointed in her retiring at this time.  Good chance Bush also gets to appoint a chief justice as well.

Thomas and Scalia, Bushes heros, are never going to be like Earl Warren or Blackman. 

There will be a bloodbath but in the end we will have a very conservative judge on the bench. 

I would like to see 9 versions of "Thomas and Scalia" on the court. Then we might
have a chance of getting back to the Constitution and Bill of Rights.
Won't happen though. Those founding documents are being shredded
daily. Expect this to continue.

JG

MJ said:
re: Laura Bush. He may be refering to her allegedly running a stop sign and killing someone. I heard about this during Dubya's first run for the presidency.

Yeah, I vaguely recall that. Quite a stretch!

JG

Laura Bush ran a stop sign at 17 and rammed another car. Her boyfriend was thrown from the car and broke his neck, killing him. When GW was running, the city refused to release the police report to reporters until they were forced to do so, citing that the victims were under 18. The area of the police report regarding the specific details was impossible to make out. The area regarding charges filed was blank.

I wonder if you can be borked and dixie chicked at the same time?

Th or Notth

A number of your previous posts have taken people to task for their careless use of purported facts or questionable sources. Don't you think your description of the Laura Bush incident follows the same pattern and leaves the reader with some very incorrect perceptions, eg, you didn't even mention that the so-called boyfriend was in a different car.

Oh come now. I gave one guy a hard time because he was a troll. I gave another guy a hard time because he decided to start pissing in my morning coffee for no apparent reason.

However, in this instance the information I provided was factual and from perfectly good sources. I didnt mention the odd but true fact that the boyfriend happened to be in the car she hit, not hers, although thats a good example of how small some small towns really are.

So what exactly is the problem you'd like me to solve? Are you unhappy that I berated a troll or that I gave it back to someone who started a pissing contest with me? Or just passing the time away?

Notth,

I have no particular problem that I'd like you to solve, have no interest in your pissing contests and I am not just passing the time away.

I'm simply trying to point out, in as civil a manner as I can, that your use of "facts" can easily lead the casual reader (fortunately there aren't many here) to come to erroneous conclusions.

Why is it "odd" that the person killed was in a different car - Laura was riding with a girlfriend. BTW, the person killed and Laura were friends and classmates. I wasn't aware that anyone had shown them to be anything other than that. The part of the police report regarding charges was blank because none were filed.

oldbykur said:
I'm simply trying to point out, in as civil a manner as I can, that your use of "facts" can easily lead the casual reader (fortunately there aren't many here) to come to erroneous conclusions.

Why is it "odd" that the person killed was in a different car - Laura was riding with a girlfriend. BTW, the person killed and Laura were friends and classmates. I wasn't aware that anyone had shown them to be anything other than that. The part of the police report regarding charges was blank because none were filed.

It isn't that hard to find. I'm sure th could google for it, but I've included the link anyway.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/laura.asp

oldbykur said:
Notth,

I have no particular problem that I'd like you to solve, have no interest in your pissing contests and I am not just passing the time away.

Ok then I still dont know what we're doing here. Everything I said was true by record. What erroneous conclusions could be drawn from what I said that would matter even a little bit?

Its odd that someone in an accident would strike and kill someone they know. I pointed out that this is simply a factor of small town life where there simply aint that many people you dont know. As far as romantic links, many have been suggested, but the last thing I'm interested in is establishing any connection between them, or proving one, as I cant for the life of me figure out why that would matter.

You'll note I made no opinion, didnt say anything about people running stop signs at 50mph and walking away without being charged, made no inferences whatsoever. A couple of people said they thought something like that happened and I simply confirmed that thought.

Theres a big difference between stating a series of well established and documented facts, and saying things that are simply not true, then blasting everyone with four letter words when you're asked for sources and cant come up with them. Particularly when the guy that cant come up with rational sources VOLUNTEERED that he would.

I'm still left with the feeling that you're still looking for something here as I cant understand what the problem is. Why dont you tell me what erroneous conclusions could be drawn from what I said, why it matters, and what I should have said differently to result in clearer conclusion drawing?

Back
Top Bottom