OH No DW wants another car

Well , visited Kia yesterday , DW was able to get another 500.00 off ...if we use Kia financing for 6 mos. I wanted to just pay it off but we can make payments for 6mos . bluebook trade in on her 2008 is around 1600.00 and a meal at Mc.donalds if they give us 1600 for her old car we will buy the new one . So the final would be 15400. + ttl . She did good this is the premium model loaded with 17" wheels and a nav.system . Monday night she will get her Soul

I bought a Kia Soul at work for employees to use for around-town errands. I would use it when I had lunch meetings with customers and made sure they saw me in it. I'm sure it pre-empted a number of "your prices are too high" conversations.

For the record, it drove fine and I wouldn't hesitate to own one for in town use.

Well, I’d never buy a new car rather than repair the old, but if your wife wants new that’s another story. It does sound like you were feeling nervous and she apparently got a good deal!

I had a relative that traded in a volvo that had a few minor repairs recently (like it needed a starter or something expected) they are the type of folks that think a car that needs fixing has to be replaced! I have a teen that needs a car - wish they had contacted me first

If you can't afford to buy an inexpensive car like a Kia Soul then you probably shouldn't have retired.

The first year of retirement can be daunting as money flow reverses from an inflow to an outflow. Almost everyone goes through the same transition in thinking and relaxes after a year or two. Those who don't go back to work.

Ding...ding...ding we have a winner.

Well , visited Kia yesterday , DW was able to get another 500.00 off ...if we use Kia financing for 6 mos. I wanted to just pay it off but we can make payments for 6mos . bluebook trade in on her 2008 is around 1600.00 and a meal at Mc.donalds if they give us 1600 for her old car we will buy the new one . So the final would be 15400. + ttl . She did good this is the premium model loaded with 17" wheels and a nav.system . Monday night she will get her Soul
giphy.gif

Yf98ECBsy3QCQ" width="480" height="209" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen

That is bad to the bone . I quess I am just worn out ! between selling a house moving to another house doing some stuff to get the new house the way we want it drags you down . No moving company just a 260.00 U Haul DW and son . Movers wanted upwards 1200.00

I think part of the OP's problem is that in the first year or so of retirement many people are uncomfortable about whether they actually calculated everything correctly and if it's all going to work out. That makes spending any money, much less unplanned relatively major purchases, difficult. I know I was pretty obnoxious about it early on. Our expenditures were much larger, as we were building a large and expensive house (planned expenditure) and then furnishing it with a lot of new stuff DW wanted/needed (unplanned by me expenditures). I was pretty cranky about it, and it wasn't until a few years later that I realized it was because I was nervous and unsure. But since the numbers had all worked out before we FIREd, in the long run it wasn't a big deal. And it won't be for the OP either, unless, as someone suggested, they FIREd prematurely. But I also would recommend biting the bullet, buying the car, and keeping your mouth shut about it. Domestic harmony is worth more than gold.

+1 Happy wife happy life. No way around it.
We moved from an expensive apartment to a much lower cost house which of course needed some furnishings.
I put aside the monies for some of it separate from/before retirement, thus in my head it had only a minor effect on the WR in the first year for the unplanned furnishings.
I know it is real silly, but it worked for me psychologically. :blush:

Can't believe JD Power has the Soul first in class for crossovers . But Kia was the #1 manufacturer or they claimed to be last year based on a 3 running years of a car with the fewest problems. ........even beat Honda .

A word from the distaff side...I am somewhat in mourning this week. My 2004 Highlander with 152,000 miles is gone, replaced by a 2015 Tacoma. “We” also bought a new RAV4 last summer. That is my new daily ride.
What happened to living way below our means? Sure we can afford it but what about the zombie apocalypse or volcanic eruptions or some other catastrophe

Congratulations! :dance::dance::dance: You can relax now that the decisions is made. Maybe your DW has a part time job opportunity negotiating car deals for people.

Can't believe JD Power has the Soul first in class for crossovers . But Kia was the #1 manufacturer or they claimed to be last year based on a 3 running years of a car with the fewest problems. ........even beat Honda .

IIRC, the JD Power initial quality metrics are a bit iffy. Any trip to the dealer where the car is logged counts a a "defect." So if you saunter in to have the kind thieves w*rking there 'splain how that confounded Bluetooth / Nav / iPhone / Domino's pizza package all works, that counts a "ding."

Not dissing the Soul, just that the scoring can be a bit skewed. Actually, 2 of my rides are Hyundai (same parent corp) and they've been tanks. Amazing reliability and good all around SUV's ( both are Santa Fe's)
YMMV!

A word from the distaff side...I am somewhat in mourning this week. My 2004 Highlander with 152,000 miles is gone, replaced by a 2015 Tacoma. “We” also bought a new RAV4 last summer. That is my new daily ride.
What happened to living way below our means? Sure we can afford it but what about the zombie apocalypse or volcanic eruptions or some other catastrophe

Sad. My 2004 Highlander is still going strong (190K), not counting some rust and a few dings and dents. I'll really miss it when it's gone. Going camping next month, which will include some off road driving. It's been the best car I ever owned. Now that I leave it in the garage 6 months/year while we're in FL, I'm hoping to get a few more good years out of it. Love to get to 250K.

We bought a new car the first year of RE but did it in a downsizing from 2 cars to 1.

Opposite problem here. My DW's 2003 Acura has 136K miles on it and she can't bear to part with it. She talked me into $1500 worth of tires and repairs. You probably think I'm a lucky guy. You would be correct!

Again, you don't have to spend a lump sum for a new vehicle.

Zero-down lease on a vehicle with that sales price should be under $250/month, probably more like the low $200s.

Back
Top Bottom