Okra

Did you slice it into coins for frying? Then you put it in a paper back full of flour or what-have-you and get it coated all over. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the coins a few at a time, browning on both sides for several minute. Dry on paper towels, add some salt, and they should be crunchy! Crunchy!

Boiled okra is nasty, don't let anyone tell you differently. :)

It has to be:
less than 3 inches in length
sliced into coins (what exactly does that mean?)
how much of what kind of oil at what depth and temperature and time?

Oh, sorry, like carrot coins...just sliced about as wide as your pinkie.
Oil deep enough to barely float them, and hot enough that water sprinkled on it pops.
Time, long enough to brown them on both sides. Shouldn't be but a couple of minutes. And don't crowd the pan, they should have room--otherwise you cool down the oil by adding too much and then they get greasy.

Frying is an art here--I even have a well-splattered cookbook called Fearless Frying.

ReW, the best line from that entire blog posting on Okra is this:

Crucial nutrients for ass-building are involved in the chemistry of deep-frying.

We may need to incorporate this into the Wednesday Weigh In thread next week, by way of explanation....

Oh, sorry, like carrot coins...just sliced about as wide as your pinkie.
Oil deep enough to barely float them, and hot enough that water sprinkled on it pops.
Time, long enough to brown them on both sides. Shouldn't be but a couple of minutes. And don't crowd the pan, they should have room--otherwise you cool down the oil by adding too much and then they get greasy.

Frying is an art here--I even have a well-splattered cookbook called Fearless Frying.

I'll try again in a day or two.

Oh, Ha, you brought up one of my all time favorites--Florence King. If the rest of you haven't picked up her books--they are awesome! You may finally be able to understand southern women afterward! ;)

"I'm on the horns, I say, the horns, the horns I say, of a dilemma!" --her dorm mother at Ole Miss (I think). And yeah, no one has ever come close to Flo.

boiled okra is indistinguishable from a toddler's runny nose.

I beg to differ... Eventually the babys nose dries up. Boiled okra slime is forever.

BTW - I like mine breaded in corn meal and pan fried in olive oil w/ garlic. Frozen okra works best in the application because it is already blanched thus releasing some of the afore-mentioned goo.

• Throw frozen okra in the pan w/o oil and turn on the heat.
  • When the okra starts to thaw, sprinkle it with corn meal until no more will stick.
  • Pour in oil and sizzle it up.
  • Add some salt and pepper and a little garlic just before it's done.
  • Serve with lemon wedges.

Never have had fried okra, not really a fried food fan.

I do love gumbo, okra and all. In the last couple of years you can actually find some okra for sale up here on occasion. So does okra work in gumbo because the booger part disintegrates?

Janet, nice try. But your no Crazy Aunt Purl...

1. How do you really know? it's the internet after all...

2. So - Ok, I'm not Aunt Purl. Try mine - it looks just like hers when finished and uses fewer ingredients. If you want to serve it upscale, put it on a plate (that frypan will scorch your corian).:D

Back
Top Bottom