On using the internet...

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Wondering how others connect and use the internet.
With age taking its' toll on the bod, it is becoming more difficult to see and manipulate smaller touch screens, so now, almost 100% on desktop or laptop computers.
The technology has left me behind, so no smart phone, and texting on the cell, is impossible. While trying to compensate, one project has been to learn voice search as in "Okay, Google", but.... DW has promised to either leave or kill me if she hears me talking to the computer again. (Will learn the Hawking method... just in case).

Even on the home computers, have taken to using "Readabiity" for long reads, especially when websites overload with ads and links... So much easier to read with right size and type face.

aside... made a fool of myself trying to teach some basics to another senior neighbor who bought his first computer with Windows 8... thirty years of experience and I couldn't find "start", "control panel" or "program files". :(

So, no complaints... what I have, works for me, but I often wonder how others use the internet... as in:

Percent of actual time on mobile.

What kind of use? Read only, read and post? Long articles? Videos?
Email?
Movies? UTube? Skype? Music?
Headphones? Built in speaker? Bluetooth?
Use for financial? Pay by phone?
Sync? with home computers?
Instore comparative shopping?

And... always on?

I try to stay up to date with my tablet... to understand how connectivity is changing, but am losing the battle.

Your preferences, likes and dislikes...:ermm:

Last edited:
Home built desktop (2007 build, AMD dual core, 4 GB RAM, ASUS Motherboard, WD hard drive)

Running XP Pro SP3

Linux Mint as a second OS

24" monitor

Small speakers

Comcast cable internet - 50 MB down.

Percent of actual time on mobile. - very rare, use it for a phone/e-mail only

Desktop:

What kind of use? Read only, read and post? Long articles? Videos?
Email?

Mostly e-mail, here and some other web sites

Movies? UTube? Skype? Music?

Nope

Headphones? Built in speaker? Bluetooth?

External speakers

Use for financial?

Yes

Pay by phone?

Never

Sync? with home computers?

Only through Google

Instore comparative shopping (desktop only)

Mostly Amazon and some select vendors

And... always on?

Yes, desktop is always on (8 years now) - phone is always on until battery gets low, then I charge it.

The smaller the screen, the higher the frustration level. Not because I can't see it or operate it, but because I'm used to the freedom and wide functionality of the PC.

When you use a mobile OS, you're roped into doing exactly what they want you to do (to a much larger extent than the desktop, at least).

The problem is that when I'm in my office, where the desktop is, it feels a bit like w*rk, so I do use the tablet some (but I use "phony", which makes the web world think I'm running desktop Firefox). But the inter-app and concurrent stuff is just clutzy to me on the mobile platforms. I suppose I could get better at navigating them, but I'm looking at two 24 inch HD monitors here....I can have lots of stuff at my beck and call.

I had the eye doctor make a set of eyeglasses that are specifically for the computer. Regular reading glasses are the wrong strength and the wrong focal distance. I prefer the laptop, much of what I do is web based, including email and simple things like Chrome's relatively easy way to set and change the zoom factor is easier than the special settings in the operating system. I do have a tablet but then I have to switch to regular reading glasses. Some things also zoom easy with the pinch-zoom, but others have micro-text that I just have to leave behind.

I do like all the various options on my smart phone, there are so many that are simple, useful and even readable. Because there are often many apps for the same purpose, I will quickly abandon any that I can't use easily and try another. I don't do much in online payments, especially with the phone. I've had my credit card number compromised 4 times in 2 years, so I've been reigning in usage more and more online.

I do find that I need to do these things in short spurts or I get an eyestrain that can sometimes even explode into a migraine.

My disclaimer is that my j*b for several years has been researching emerging technologies and help strategize if or when we should adopt a new one, so I am pre-disposed to use new things. However I am also at least a little frugal, so my laptop is older, my tablet a refurb, so only my phone is anywhere close to current generation.

- No smart phone.

- I use a Google Chromebook for all browsing.

- I use a Dell laptop for when I need to 1) print; 2) store photos; 3) download e-books and load to my Nook; 4) use Photoshop elements 5) keep spreadsheet of expenses; 6) file taxes.

- I have a separate larger flat-screen monitor for getting creative on Photoshop.

- I do not: 1) do any on-line banking; 2) no external speakers; 3) no Skyping.

- I do use: 1) YouTube; 2)Facebook; 3) Twitter; 4) Netflix; 5) Make purchases on-line (mostly by credit card, occasionally Paypal)

- For GPS navigation while in the car, I have a Garmin; otherwise I use Mapquest to get mileage estimates.

- Love my Nook for reading and prefer it over hard copy books because I can make the font larger and it's easier to hold.

I was just thinking a few days ago how the internet is beginning to remind of how AOL was back in the 90's on dialup connection, too many pictures and ads to download.

Rarely use mobile, main PC ( desktop ) is on 24/7. Have around 6 PCs and 6 laptops with different OS and varying ages. Just rebuilt a couple of old ones, one with OS/2 ( remember that ) reinstalled, another with DOS 6.22+WFW 3.11. Mostly a linux user/developer.

I probably use the internet mostly as a big library for reading/research. zero interest in social media stuff. Connections to financial/banking institutions for convenience/ease of use.

I have an iMac, Macbook pro, Ipad, and iPhone. Also an HP pc from work in case I need a non Apple solution.

Percent of actual time on mobile - probably around 50%

What kind of use? Read only, read and post? Long articles? Videos? - everything - online research, photos, videos, read and post on several forums.

Email? - yes - 4 accounts. Different accounts for different uses.

Movies? UTube? Skype? Music? Only watch movies on tv through netflix/Apple tv. Youtube on all devices. No Skype. Music on all devices through iTunes/Appletv

Headphones? Built in speaker? Bluetooth? Headphones on air flights only, sometimes use built in speaker on the iMac, Use bluetooth to sync iPhone in my truck for music/ hands free phone.

Use for financial? Pay by phone? Very seldom pay by phone

Sync? with home computers? Yes, everything is synced up (except the HP laptop)

Instore comparative shopping? Do this a lot

And... always on? My iMac is always on. Everything else as needed.

HP quad-core laptop, iPhone, iPad2, and old Kindle Fire. Also have an older Dell laptop, that just stopped recognizing it has a hard drive...

Laptop is mostly command central, for permanent (heh...) file/music/photo storge, email, spreadsheet, and recording studio. The "real" computer.

The iPhone was the primary surfing tool before the iPad came along. Kindle was a gift, and doesn't get much use these days.

Also just bought Apple TV and a Firestick, testing whether I can cut or drastically reduce the CATV bill.

Apps:

Laptop:

Outlook for email (can read on portable devices, but sync email, calendar, and contacts to laptop). Have one primary, one junk, and one auxiliary email address.

Office for spreadsheets and docs. Also use Google sheets/docs.

Windows Media Player and iTunes for music.

Pinnacle video software and usb capture device (even has s-video...)

Sonar for midi/audio work.

Have used Skype, but I rarely even talk on the phone...

iPhone and iPad have mostly the same apps:

GPS and Google maps for finding my way

Facebook and er.org. Most postings from portable devices, except during w*rk hours, then it's an old Dell desktop running XP. Also have Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Meetup, none of which get much use.

Youtube for music videos and how-to.

Local news channel app and Weather channel for, well, weather.

CNN, Fox, CNBC, PBS, and ESPN apps for news/sports/information. Also Smithsonian app.

Vanguard, Fidelity, a couple of credit card and one credit union app.

Shopping apps include Overstock, Costco, Amazon, Walmart, HD, Lowe's, and Pizza Hut. Also, SWA and AA, and Ticketbastard apps.

Have a fitness tracker app, which I use sporadically, and a mixed drink app and wine pairing and recommendation app, used infrequently.

Pleasant addition when I got the iPad was Garageband. Still learning, but fun to play with!

Do a fair amount of texting, and I hear you can actually make phone calls...

Bypass all the BS.

brain-plug-in.jpg

I love my iPhone and iPad for convenience but a large screen desktop is still my go to device for functionality. Copying, pasting, finding all resources you just can't effectively do it all on mobile devices. Now Google is restricting your search results -- boo.

Work is on a PC with two wide screen monitors.

Everything else is on my iPhone. I use my Mac laptop occasionally.

The old PC in my home office hasn't been turned on in a year: I used to use it for quicken before moving to Mint for tracking expenses.

I'm a texter...please don't call me or worse, leave me a voice mail! Ugh!

Flipboard, Longreads, Slate, and Longform are my go-to newsreaders. It annoys me when sites aren't optimized for mobile viewing.

I mostly use my Lenovo laptop for internet as I am quite comfortable with a full size real keyboard. I also have a Kindle Fire tablet that I use for surfing the internet, checking email and reading books but I avoid it because i'm not keen on the virtual keyboard, but i do use it some when traveling. I also have email and web access on my Samsung Galaxy smartphone. I'll sometimes use that to check on email or look up an address or phone number while traveling.

So my preferences are big to small... laptop, tablet, smartphone.

My preference is a desktop, then a laptop.

I don't own and smartphone or tablet. But sometimes I think about getting a tablet (almost bit as recently Amazon had a one day sale on a Fire HD, for about $69 or $79 bucks) when traveling and not having to lug a huge (everything is relative :) ) laptop. However, I think a virtual keyboard on a tiny screen might drive me batty.

I have a Nook HD + tablet. I can't read it without reading glasses. Grrr, getting old.

The Desktop is my favorite machine, hooked up to a 40" Sony TV for a monitor. Home built, Ubuntu OS. Run Virtualbox with Win7 if I ever need it. SSDs are GREAT.

Just got a Raspberry Pi 2 for a media center device on the main TV. Also have a WD Player for Netflix and files.

The Dell 700m laptop from 2008 still works with XP, seldom use it.

No smart phone, just a cheap flip phone.

I have a laptop with external keyboard and monitor, an iPad, and an iPhone. Before getting the iPad another forum member said it would change my computer habits in a major way, and she was right on. If anything, it was an understatement. I now find the laptop, sitting at the desk, to be a relic little used. The tablet is my preferred device. I can see the advantages of the iphone, but my arthritic hands don't care to grasp something for such long periods.

DW and I both stay in texting touch with family and friends now, much more convenient than calling. +1 @ Sarah regarding formatting for mobile devices.

I had the eye doctor make a set of eyeglasses that are specifically for the computer. Regular reading glasses are the wrong strength and the wrong focal distance.

+1

Even had a pair of bifocals made with far and computer distance. Have my trusty laptop on a TableMate I (which can straddle my recliner's base) parked in front of my 50" TV.

Also have a homemade desktop with 2 large-screen monitors, for when I'm doing 'serious' surfing ... like now! (Single vision -- computer distance)

My bedside device is a Blackberry Playbook, for those: I don't want to get up yet mornings! (Single vision -- reading distance)

Oh, my monitors are always positioned such that I can touch the screen with a closed fist, without leaning forward. I did take some flack for that when I was still working! :)

It's all about the specs! (Mostly EyeBuyDirect 2'fers.)

I have a laptop with external keyboard and monitor, an iPad, and an iPhone. Before getting the iPad another forum member said it would change my computer habits in a major way, and she was right on. If anything, it was an understatement. I now find the laptop, sitting at the desk, to be a relic little used. The tablet is my preferred device. I can see the advantages of the iphone, but my arthritic hands don't care to grasp something for such long periods.

Interesting. I am a laptop user, and my stomach has shaped itself nicely into a laptop stand. I've got a Samsung Note phone, but hate accessing the web on it. I'm getting an iPad mini in a few days, but I'm not sure it will change my life. I do an awful lot of work (mostly spreadsheets) on my laptop, as opposed to just browsing and reading, so I'm not sure the tablet will do it for me without the keyboard. We'll see.

The main PC here is a Dell tower about 5 years old, 1TB HD 8GB memory, 24" IPS monitor. Used for web browsing, Quicken, Photoshop & Lightroom and others. DW uses Facebook some, I ignore it.

Neither has a smartphone, just dumb Tracfones.

I've taken to watching movies/documentaries on youtube, Amazon prime, anywhere else I can find them. It does have a set of speakers with a woofer but not high end, I think they were ~$30. Works for me.

We have an Asus notebook but it is kept mostly as a spare and occasional use.

I've had more desktops & laptops than I can shake a stick at. But now, only on very rare occasions do I actually use a desktop, but I do almost everything on either my iPad Air or iPhone 6. I love not being anchored down, and can use both the iPad & iPhone just about anywhere. On the extremely rare occasion that I may need to print something, I upload whatever it is to DropBox and then go use the desktop connected to the printer.

My 88 year old Mom used to be on her desktop quite often throughout the day. I bought her an iPad Air in January, and now the only time she uses the desktop is to play a couple of computer games that aren't available for the iPad. She loves it because she can sit and watch TV, and surf during commercials without leaving the comfort of her couch. Plus she can check the tv listings, sports scores & schedules, while she watching TV.

Back
Top Bottom