Join Early Retirement Today

OnStar for Everyone
Old 01-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OnStar for Everyone

I have a realatively new (2008) GM vehicle and was disappointed that it didn't come with OnStar so I couldn't experience the 1st year no-cost thing. Now comes this so I am of mixed feelings.

Get OnStar Without Having to Buy A GM Vehicle.

Quote:
Until now, the only way to get OnStar services was to buy a GM vehicle. Well, no more. OnStar unveiled a $299 standalone mirror at the Consumer Electronics Show last week that will bring OnStar's connected services to any vehicle.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have OnStar for the first time after purchasing a GM vehicle this spring. Like it, but feel the phone mintures are pretty pricey- (about .40 a minute) Like the directions feature, but can't justify the monthly cost. Wish they had a daily or pay-per-direction option. Do like the feeling of having this for a backup- but would like to see family minutes before we would pay for both vehicles. That said, we are planning a big trip next year and would look to rent a vehicle with these features for travel.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
gone traveling

Why wouldn't GM offer Onstar for a fee? They're really after the subscription dollars anyway, and the more units they get into service, the greater the downstream revenue- whether they are in GM vehicles is immaterial. A lot of the features we find on cars today (fuel injection, airbags, antilock brakes, automatic transmissions, power windows, etc. ) were developed and introduced by one of the car manufacturers and later copied licensed/implemented by the others.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No idea what this means...I have a stand alone On-Star radio that was given to me many years ago and it can be moved for car to house, office, etc. I let the contract lapse awhile ago though so maybe the standalone is being re-introduced?

We just got a new GM vehicle and I forgot how much I love On-star...especially Bloomberg (burg?) and the classic radio and comedy channels....and the Jazz

Everybody loves On-star radio, but not enough are willing to buy subscriptions to push the price of my XM stock up
Old 01-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
No idea what this means...I have a stand alone On-Star radio that was given to me many years ago and it can be moved for car to house, office, etc. I let the contract lapse awhile ago though so maybe the standalone is being re-introduced?

We just got a new GM vehicle and I forgot how much I love On-star...especially Bloomberg (burg?) and the classic radio and comedy channels....and the Jazz

Everybody loves On-star radio, but not enough are willing to buy subscriptions to push the price of my XM stock up
You are mixing up subscription radio for onstar... onstar is NOT your radio... that is Sirius or XM radio...
Old 01-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Not trying to be a dumb___, but unless I'm unconscious as a result of an accident (I accept that's entirely possible) what does OnStar do that a cell phone (presumably we all have one) and a $150 GPS won't do? I am not worried about locking myself out of my own car (not yet anyway).

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Not trying to be a dumb___, but unless I'm unconscious as a result of an accident (I accept that's entirely possible) what does OnStar do that a cell phone (presumably we all have one) and a $150 GPS won't do? I am not worried about locking myself out of my own car (not yet anyway).
It will call 911 when your airbags deploy and you are unconcious...
Old 01-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I know someone who got into an accident and they were not even injured, but extremely disoriented because the car spun around and then hit the wall/divider on the highway.

1) They couldn't even find their cell phone (it went flying).

2) Someone stopped, and offered their phone to them. She couldn't enter the numbers, she was shaking and just still kind of panicky.

3) She had to calm down to even be able to tell the other person what # to call.

And this is someone uninjured, I don't think they even took her to the hospital. Air bags going off can be quite an event though.

That said, I don't have anything but a cell phone for myself, but I've considered it. By the time I add up all the odds of needing it, no one around to call 911, etc, I just say fuggetaboudit.

-ERD50
Old 01-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
You are mixing up subscription radio for onstar... onstar is NOT your radio... that is Sirius or XM radio...
Ah, yes I am...oops.

I often wondered what the liability issue might be if your airbag deploys and if the OnStar operator would only respond if your subscripton is up to date. I've heard they would bill you after the fact but have not seen it in writing.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

I believe that OnStar can unlock your doors and even stop the engine. It can also locate the vehicle via GPS. How long before someone hacks this system? Maybe I'm too paranoid.