Our son got married in China

Sue J

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Quick recap, copied and pasted from some of my earlier posts in Feb. -

Our 30 year old son met a young woman when he was in Kauai in Jan 2016 and she lives in Beijing, China. It’s hard to make this a simple explanation but I’ll try. She is an English speaking tour guide for tourists mostly from USA, Canada and some from Europe. My son was visiting friends who have a vacation home in Kauai who had been her clients on a tour in China. They thought she was wonderful and told her if she was ever in Kauai she was welcome to stay with them. She was visiting them when he was also visiting them. Two young single people meeting in paradise, what could possibly happen?

They kept in touch for a year and then she was arranging a few months of travel to USA and Canada and staying a few weeks with their mutual friends who are local in our area. Well, she didn’t stay long with them, she stayed with my son and they realized they are much more than friends.

They let us know what’s going on and it’s SERIOUS. He is planning a visit to meet her family in Beijing later this year and they have let us know that they are moving toward an engagement.

Here is the new info. He's been in Beijing for almost 2 weeks and met her family. They like him a lot and approve of their marriage. He traveled with a surprise engagement ring (for a very short engagement) and a (not surprise) wedding band for her. For himself he took my father's wedding band. They went to the US embassy so that he could get a Affidavit of Marriageability attesting to the fact that he is single or that all his marriages have ended. Their appointment for registering their marriage wasn't until today so they have been busy seeing many interesting places in and around Beijing. They've sent pictures of all the places they have visited and many of the things they are eating.

Last night (Saturday morning in China) they registered their marriage, got their certificates and then we all video chatted. We knew this was happening, they have kept us informed of their plans, so I had a bottle of champagne already chilled and we toasted to the newlywed couple via Facetime!

They have a few days left before he comes home and they are going to a nice hotel in Beijing for the rest of their honeymoon.

She will move here in June. In the meantime she has tours scheduled in China that she wants to complete. She will also be taking a group from Beijing to Boston later in April so he will go there for a few days to be with his new wife.

We expect that within the next year or so we will go to China for a wedding celebration and to meet her family.

We are just thrilled with all of this. They are a great pair and we genuinely love her. While it's a little odd that it happened on the other side of the world, without us there, we've been very supportive of them taking care of what works for them. We knew that this was the purpose of his trip.

This has been so exciting for all of us. Suddenly, we are an international family. I see a lot of things differently now. I'm a MOTHER-IN-LAW! With potential for being one of those "G" word people (grandparent)!

Congratulations Sue J! I can well imagine that this marriage may cause anxiety (will their different backgrounds bring too much baggage, will it last, will they be happy long term, where will they live, what about the kids....). For what it's worth, in my extended family there have been several international and interracial marriages, and the results have been very positive and enriching for all concerned. I wish Your DS and DDIL a long and happy life together.

Congratulations! What an interesting non-traditional story. The romantic in me loves that they met in paradise, far from each one's home, and managed to stay connected, and then get married. I wish them long lifetimes of happiness. :dance:

omni

Congrats and start planning your trip! Fascinating place!

Welcome to the club! Both our children married people from other cultures and our lives have been immeasurably enriched--one holiday dinner we counted birth certificates from five different countries.

Congratulations and best wishes to the newlyweds!

Congratulations! Another international family here. It is truely an experience, and if there have been a few awkward moments, there have been 100 times more experiences that enrich our lives. :)

We enjoy our international family, although both my "foreign" in-laws had American mothers, so we're not completely international. Still one couple lives in the South Pacific, and the other couple lives in Amsterdam with their two young children. We really enjoy visiting our "grandkids" (nephews) in Amsterdam - my SIL is 20 years my junior, and my mother passed away long ago, so I get to play the matriarch at times. Oh we're still auntie and uncle, but we get to spoil them rotten like grandparents would.

Married in China?......hey, I knew some women who got married in white; now that was unusual!

All the best to the happy family!

Last edited:
Congratulations! Yep, another international family here.
Our son married a girl from New York city.;)

Quick recap, copied and pasted from some of my earlier posts in Feb. -

She will move here in June. In the meantime she has tours scheduled in China that she wants to complete. She will also be taking a group from Beijing to Boston later in April so he will go there for a few days to be with his new wife.

We expect that within the next year or so we will go to China for a wedding celebration and to meet her family.

We are just thrilled with all of this. They are a great pair and we genuinely love her. While it's a little odd that it happened on the other side of the world, without us there, we've been very supportive of them taking care of what works for them. We knew that this was the purpose of his trip.

This has been so exciting for all of us. Suddenly, we are an international family. I see a lot of things differently now. I'm a MOTHER-IN-LAW! With potential for being one of those "G" word people (grandparent)!

<Sigh>. Nothing like a love story. So happy for you!!:)

signed,
(Me, with three single adult offspring)

What wonderful news!!!!

Congrats....

Can she get in that quickly:confused: I thought the marriage visas took a bit of time... sometimes up to 6 months....

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family...pouses-live-united-states-permanent-residents

How Long Does The I-130 Petition Process Take? Family Based Immigration - AllLaw.com

She has had a USA tourist visa for a few years and it's good for 10 years. She has been able to come for 6 months, leave for a day or more and then come back for another 6 months. They are learning what they can about the immigration process and when she moves here they will see an immigration lawyer if it's necessary.

He mentioned starting the green card process for a spouse right away, I don't know if that's possible until she is here in June.

In order to make his current visit possible he had to get a passport (none of us have ever needed a passport before. I knew he was serious when he got a passport) and then get a tourist visa to China. This involved sending an application, his passport, proof of plane tickets and an itinerary for his time in China to the Chinese consulate in New York City. So now he has a tourist visa to China that's good for 10 years. It's a nice official sticker on a page of his passport. I expect it will get a lot of use.

In order to make his current visit possible he had to get a passport (none of us have ever needed a passport before.

Oh, my goodness. This is very unexpected, then.

The passport was actually last fall. He was thinking ahead to if this friendship continued he might want to visit her in China in the future. Also, one of the companies that he works for has an occasional event in Canada. He hasn't work in Canada yet, but thought it would smart to be prepared in case the opportunity came up again.

Congrats from another international family. I predict this thread is going to be a long one. Suggest, your son check out the visajourney website to see what he is in for.

Congrats from another international family. I predict this thread is going to be a long one. Suggest, your son check out the visajourney website to see what he is in for.

Thank you. That looks like some interesting reading.

When my son married a woman from Poland it took about 3 months from the time he applied to her coming. However, they dated long distance for 3 years so he had all the plane ticket stubs, pics etc to prove it was a real relationship.

She has had a USA tourist visa for a few years and it's good for 10 years. She has been able to come for 6 months, leave for a day or more and then come back for another 6 months. They are learning what they can about the immigration process and when she moves here they will see an immigration lawyer if it's necessary.

First, congratulations to you and your family. There will likely be bumps along the way but having the support of both families makes things a lot smoother.

She needs to be careful when crossing the border. The USCIS can take her marriage to a US citizen as a reasonable suspicion that she intends to stay in the US and not honour the terms of her visa. I know of at least one case of this in the past. With the recent change in the administration and the USCIS being even more hmmm, "vigilant", it's got potential for issues. She shouldn't lie to the USCIS but she shouldn't tell them any more than they ask. They definitely shouldn't clear customs/immigration together.

Even more potential trouble with doing the spousal greencard when she has entered on a tourist visa. Have them speak to the immigration lawyer sooner.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom