Our son got married in China

He is coming home on Tuesday and the plans I have heard are that she is coming here in mid-June and staying through the end of October. Then back here for a while later in the year.

I'm confident that they know the rules, are researching what needs to be done and are planning to follow all of it properly. She has friends who have immigrated to the US and Canada. Also, she was a lawyer in China before she decided it wasn't what she wanted to do and she became a bilingual tour guide for English speaking tourists.

Last edited:
My DW is from Korea. Were on year 26. I definitely married up. She's actually in Korea on an extended visit (Jan-Jul). It's been several years since her last visit, so we saw no reason to constrain her travel.
Congrats on what is sure to be an adventurous relationship! My Korean in laws and outlaws are awesome folks and def family members!

Very nice story.

Our dearest friends' son married a lovely lady from Japan making for one of the nicest family groups we have known. Both families have visited in their different countries (Canada and Japan) several times over the past 20 years.

He's home now and I asked him if I could post a picture here -

Attachments

• 17760201_1866608430245127_2248908398716557693_n.jpeg
    17760201_1866608430245127_2248908398716557693_n.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 17499538_1864369793802324_1392641268224997737_n.jpeg
    17499538_1864369793802324_1392641268224997737_n.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 61
Great! Happy couple.

Adorable! Congratulations to the happy couple and the parents too of course!

Congratulations to you and them!

Cross-cultural relationships can have special challenges. The support from both sides of the family will make it easier. We also had weddings on both sides of the Pacific, which was fun! It will be great if you can make it to the China one -- my family couldn't which was a shame.

I think it's time for an update.

Over the past year and a half she has been coming here for a few months and then going back to China to work. They started the green card process in October, 2017. They chose to do the application through the US Consulate in Guangzhou, China. They thought it might be faster.

She was here Dec, 2017 through March, 2018 and before she went back to China they told us she was pregnant! It was so hard to see her go back to China, but she already had the ticket and had work obligations planned.

In late April, DH went to Beijing with our son. Our son really wanted me to go but I had told him back when this all started that I didn't think I could get on a plane and travel that far. I hate flying and the idea of taking two flights and one of them being 13 hours and then ending up in a place so crowded was not what I wanted to do. I'm not a happy traveler, I don't like cities or crowds, so Beijing is not a place for me. Also, I have been having back issues for quite a while and I don't think I could have done all the walking there. And, not all their toilets are "normal"!!!

Well, I hated to disappoint our son, but I really did not want to do that trip. DH said, "I'll go, you stay home with the dog." And that worked out fine. DH told me that after the very long flight the ride to her parents house should have been 20 minutes on the highway but because of traffic it was 3 hours. I would have been curled up in the backseat sobbing at that point!

DH met her parents, sister and niece. Our DIL had to do all the translating. DH was in a nearby hotel, where he was just about the only English speaker. Our son stayed with his wife and in-laws in their apartment. DIL is a Beijing tour guide so she took DH to all the famous sites and our son's favorite restaurants. DH had a good time but it was an exhausting trip. I have a new appreciation of DH for his doing this for both of us!

Our DIL came back in mid Sept. All of their green card application process has been approved, all she needed was the in person interview. She got an appointment that was too close to her travel cutoff date for the pregnancy. They were concerned that if there were any delays or if a piece of paperwork wasn't proper that she would not have her passport back in time to travel. So they postponed the interview for a few months and they will all travel back to China for the interview and then travel to Beijing to see her family.

She was a beautiful pregnant mom! She and our son are such a wonderful pair and I'm so glad they were finally together. They did what they could to get ready for the baby, taking parenting classes at the hospital and learning the essentials of labor and delivery. In the weeks before the due date of Nov 4th she was cooking up a storm, freezing some of her favorites for when things get very busy.

Our son has been a free lance sound engineer for many years. The past couple of years most of his work was coming from one company that he really liked to work for. In late October they hired him as an full time employee. They know his situation so he already has arranged for time to go to China next year. This matches with their slower season so that works well all around. They are giving him 10 days paid parental leave right now. He loved the independence of being free lance but right now likes the stability of full time employment.

So it's been an interesting year and a half and the result is our new grandson! He was born yesterday and I've posted a pic in the Recent Photo topic - http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/recent-photo-50002-42.html#post2138264 Post #1677 if that link doesn't work right.

Wow. Lot happening in short order. Congrats. I would think the stressful stuff is mostly over. Now you get to be grandma!

Oh, and from your neighborhood tax pro, don't forget in some states contributing to a 529 gets you a tax break. ;)

Oh, and from your neighborhood tax pro, don't forget in some states contributing to a 529 gets you a tax break. ;)

My FIL started a 529 for his 7 grandchildren. My two sons benefited from it. We've already talked about starting one and our other son (new baby's uncle) says he would like to contribute, too.

When my kids were born my mother paid for 4 months of diaper service. Remember those? It was a weekly delivery of clean, cloth diapers and they would take all the dirty ones. It was a lovely thing to do for a new baby. I wanted to do the same for our grandchild. The service is still around but new parents today like the disposables. So I have pledged to fund the first 4 months of disposable diapers for them. They can decide what kind they like and I'll either do an Amazon subscription or just give them cash or PayPal. I'm doing this in honor of my mother who died in 2011. I'm so sorry she's missing out on this.

In the hospital today they showed us one of the disposable diapers. There is a color indicator that shows what's been deposited! Too clever!

Expect your son's wife to bring her parents to America. Chinese daugthers' loyalty lie with their family and husband is the conduit to make it happen.

Wonderful story. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Expect your son's wife to bring her parents to America. Chinese daugthers' loyalty lie with their family and husband is the conduit to make it happen.

I doubt it. Her parents are the main caretakers of her sister's daughter. Her sister lives near the parents in Beijing. She works as a tour guide for Chinese tourists traveling to Europe. She is gone for weeks at a time and her husband works a night shift.

They may visit at some point but there's been no interest to move here.

Last edited:

I don’t like this comment. We faced a lot of racist stereotypes that weren’t really understood about Chinese culture.

I don’t like this comment. We faced a lot of racist stereotypes that weren’t really understood about Chinese culture.

I'm not sure why the comment was perceived as 'racist'; sure, it may have correctly or incorrectly addressed certain cultural stereotypes, but racist?

I'm not sure why the comment was perceived as 'racist'; sure, it may have correctly or incorrectly addressed certain cultural stereotypes, but racist?

The way I read the original comment is that Chinese daughters are expect to take care of (physically and financially) their parents. That Chinese daughters will use the man (aka the conduit) they married to finance/support them and the parents. That Chinese women will also not value (“loyalty”) their marriage more than their relationship with their parents (contributing to using the guy).

Please explain what I am interpreting wrong about the statement. I heard all of this from a few very opinionated people who really didn’t understand individuality.

Can we use another word other than "racist"? It's over used and mostly not accurate in its use.

Please explain what I am interpreting wrong about the statement. I heard all of this from a few very opinionated people who really didn’t understand individuality.

From where I sit, (and yeah, I'm opinionated), it's stereotypical.

For example, three European groups that are perhaps the most stereotyped are the Scots, Irish & Germans; there are jokes by the million out there about their supposed collective characteristics, some are funny, some not, but I (personally) don't view them as 'racist'.

Semantics perhaps.

Can we please move back to the far happier topic of the thread, vs. debating the unfortunate semantics of one slightly-off-topic comment?

The OP already addressed the comment, quite well.

Back
Top Bottom