Overpaying car dealership for repairs

Me either. In fact, I don't know much about cars at all, and I don't recall him saying anything about rotors (but then the minute he said brakes my mind shut off). He said something about the back having to be done to balance the front which really needed it, but the back was cheaper. I think the pads were $47, and something else was $45, and there was cleaning fluid and labor involved. I'll have to look at the receipt later when I am at home and can post exactly what it said.

I am sure the engineers on here will correct me, but basically it goes like this:

On front wheel drive cars, the majority of the weight rests on the front wheels, usually 55-60%. So what the car manufacturers do is usally put a larger rotor on the fronts, as they are used to a greater degree for stopping. The rear brakes assist, but the wear and tear is more on the front brakes.

The reason to "turn" or "resurface" the rotors is to help prevent pulsating or having the brakes fade on you. In my case, the Accord had 75,000 miles on the original pads and rotors in the rear. They cut the rotors and put new pads in, and adjusted and cleaned everything on the front brakes also.

My front brakes got new pads and resurfaced rotors at 40,000 miles, so I am good there for awhile.

Sounds like you are ready to roll for quite awhile..........

BTW, maintenance IMO includes:

Oil changes
Tire rotations
Tires
brakes
wiper blades
transmission flushes
coolant flushes
air filter changes
washing and waxing

Repair is anything else..........:D:D:D

Good!! With any luck then I guess maybe they did the same things on my Camry Solara. Do you think they turned our rotors as well as cut, clean, and adjust? It doesn't sound like it (which is fine with me if it wasn't needed but just curious). Last night Frank was asking about whether or not they replaced the rotors, and I told him that I didn't think so.

One thing that I noticed, which really surprised me, is that when I set the emergency brake it feels tighter and more substantial than it did before. They must have adjusted it, too, or something. It seems to be working a lot better, and the emergency brake light isn't on except when it is set, now (I guess that light flashing on inappropriately should have been a clue, but I hadn't had anyone check it out).

Last edited:
75,000 miles is a lot compared with my 34,800 miles, but then I do almost entirely city driving with stoplights every block and it has been almost 8 years on the same brake pads. So that would probably explain it.

One thing that I noticed, which really surprised me, is that when I set the emergency brake it feels tighter and more substantial than it did before. They must have adjusted it, too, or something. It seems to be working a lot better, and the emergency brake light isn't on except when it is set, now (I guess that light flashing on inappropriately should have been a clue, but I hadn't had anyone check it out).
Yes, that's the adjustment. I just had my rear brakes adjusted on Monday ($45). It made a big difference in the "tightness" of the emergency brake. These are still the original factory brakes (just over 45,000 miles on a 2005 Toyota Matrix). I thought I'd need more extensive brake work being that this was original stuff, but the shop said they were still fine, the fronts were perfectly fine as is and the rear just needed adjustment.

It's hard to imagine they'd need to turn rotors with less than 35,000 miles unless there was something wrong with the brakes, or perhaps if the lugnuts were too tight and caused the rotors to warp. (Fords used to have a TERRIBLE problem with warping rotors.)

Yes, that's the adjustment. I just had my rear brakes adjusted on Monday ($45). It made a big difference in the "tightness" of the emergency brake. These are still the original factory brakes (just over 45,000 miles on a 2005 Toyota Matrix). I thought I'd need more extensive brake work being that this was original stuff, but the shop said they were still fine, the fronts were perfectly fine as is and the rear just needed adjustment.

It's hard to imagine they'd need to turn rotors with less than 35,000 miles unless there was something wrong with the brakes, or perhaps if the lugnuts were too tight and caused the rotors to warp. (Fords used to have a TERRIBLE problem with warping rotors.)

Good. Then I guess they probably didn't turn my rotors. I don't remember the guy saying the word "rotors", but then the guy wasn't terribly articulate. He didn't seem very surprised or alarmed or anything, so I don't suppose there was anything wrong with the brakes. Mine are the original factory brakes, as well, on a 2000 Camry Solara.

FWIW, The terms 'cut' and 'turn' mean the same thing wrt rotors. I can't imagine putting new brake pads on without turning the rotors, but as you say, it's not mandatory unless the rotors are warped or worn. Turning the rotors makes them perfectly flat and gives them the proper finish for the new pads to be most effective. Usually the 2nd on 3rd set of pads will require replacement of the rotor due to wear. Front brakes usually wear twice as fast as the rear (or faster), even with rear wheel drive due to weight transfer when stopping. Mileage will vary tremendously based on city/hwy/hills/etc. Also labor rates vary significantly in different parts of the country. Dealers around here get >$100/ hr vs. $85-90 in other areas, but it sounds like W2R paid a very reasonable price the the Solara's maintainance (not a repair). Wowee! New tires and new brakes should feel like a new car!

It does!! Flies like the wind with those new tires!

Here's what my invoice says (other than the tire related charges):

brake pad ceramic $49.11
brake cleaner $3
labor brk $106.80
labor brk/clean & adjust rear $44.50

So, it isn't very specific. But from what you are saying, it sounds like they were turned but not replaced. I'm glad it was a reasonable price!

Yay!! He said it, guys. My Solara is STILL repair-free, after almost 8 years. Thanks, FD. :D

Same here. Bought a Honda Accord for DW over 16 years ago (1992) and still no repairs, only maintenance - brake pads; tires; oil/filter changes; headlight bulbs; muffler; battery. Changed timing belt and water pump as preventative maintenance at 90K. Oops, there was one repair - the chromed plastic inside handle on the driver's door broke which cost $16. I was going to buy her a new Honda, but this one will not wear out.

I just bought my 1st set of replacement tires for my '97 Miata. No repairs needed on it either. However, the original battery is now dead and needs replacement.

I do my own mechanical work so out-of-pocket expense is modest.

Last edited:
the cracked plastic overflow coolant tank cap that I had duct taped a month or so ago was still there and untouched!
Another item on the maintenance schedule was the air filter - so I undid the clamps and the air filter was unchanged and dirty!

I also had a dealer try to get me to do the timing belt change at 60K even though the owner's manual said 90K.

We have a good mechanic who used to be a Honda trained mechanic who worked for the dealership. He finally stopped working there because of the politics, but he has shared many similar stories. I've gotten my car back w/not enough oil (umm, if I can do it, they can do it right), where they haven't rotated the tires.

I think there was a time when the timing belt were supposed to be changed at 60K, but that was a long time ago. Maybe he didn't get the memo! :) We don't go to the dealership anymore.

i didnt read the whole thread, but have you considered taking your es300 to a toyota dealer? they will fix it with toyota parts for a fraction of the cost (your car is the same as a camry). or take it to an independent garage/=...dealers ALWAYS charge too much

OK, guess that NOW I will have to stop being so smug. I took my Solara in for new tires yesterday (only 34,800 miles but 5 years on these tires and at least one was looking pretty bad).

$555 for the four Goodyear tires including all the labor and valve stems and whatever else they had to do or use, and tax.

While it was up on the rack, they told me it needed new brake pads and cleaning, too. $223 for labor, brake pads, cleaning fluid, tax, and so on. So, I got out of there for $778 total.

On the other hand, I suppose that I could count new brake pads as being preventative maintenance, instead of repairs, in which case my Solara is STILL repair-free.

I have no idea whether these charges are reasonable or not on a nationwide basis, though I am pretty sure they are a good deal for New Orleans in 2008. I have dealt with this tire place for 12 years and in the past they have always done right by me. And, like always, I ended up sitting there for hours. Two and a half hours, actually. I nearly died of boredom.

did you know that WALMART sells good Goodyear tires (Vivas:confused:) for about 75 including everything for your car....

dont overlook wallyworld for the easy stuff....TIRES

did you know that WALMART sells good Goodyear tires (Vivas:confused:) for about 75 including everything for your car....

I put Michelin Harmony tires on the 05 Camry, with a 80K tread wear warranty. At a local tire shop. 115 a tire plus tax. Came out to about 600 dollars. Had 55K on the original Goodyears. Brakes are still fine.

I put Michelin Harmony tires on the 05 Camry, with a 80K tread wear warranty. At a local tire shop. 115 a tire plus tax. Came out to about 600 dollars. Had 55K on the original Goodyears. Brakes are still fine.

Sam's Club has screaming deals too, often on MICHELINS. I saved $150 on 4 new Michelins for a van I used to have at Sam's verus everyone else.........;)

Wow! Sounds like I need to go to Wal-Mart next time. That's a wonderful price. Is it the same price nationwide?

Mine were $108 per tire, though I don't remember the model of Goodyear tire. I don't have the receipt here or I'd check on what model they are; I know they are guaranteed for 65,000 miles, but that is probably normal. As I recall they also charged $1 for valve stems, and for labor, which brought the price up.

Some people at my work buy their tires on the internet and get great prices. I suppose they mount them themselves (but no way could I do that).

Sam's Club has screaming deals too, often on MICHELINS. I saved $150 on 4 new Michelins for a van I used to have at Sam's verus everyone else.........;)

Alas, I don't belong to Sam's Club (too miserly to join), so for me the price would have to include the cost of a membership card. Still that sounds like you got a great deal!

YEAH....If you really want those Vivas, they're ONLY available at Wal-Mart. Always my concern at Wal-Mart is they sometimes force mfr's to make tradeoffs between features and price. Maybe it's a feature that's not important, but it's just not the same as the stuff at other stores with the same brand name. At least Goodyear which is my preferred brand put a unique model tire on the Wal-mart shelf. Tires are critical to me and saving a few dollars just isn't worth it. That said, they are probably decent tires and a good value and I might consider for a beater-type vehicle. I actually would be more concerned with quality of the wal-mart tire technicians than anything else, at least in my area!

I posted elsewhere that I surprised my self by buying tires online. I was using an online tire vendor strictly for comparison shopping and found that even with shipping I got a great price on the brand and model tire I was looking for. They partner with various local stores for install and I chose NTB (owned by Sears, I think) where they delivered the tires and I got 4 Gooodyear Eagle LS tires installed and out the door w/ 4wheel alignment for $560. I always get an alignment check when installing new tires.

Last edited:
YEAH....If you really want those Vivas, they're ONLY available at Wal-Mart. Always my concern at Wal-Mart is they sometimes force mfr's to make tradeoffs between features and price. Maybe it's a feature that's not important, but it's just not the same as the stuff at other stores with the same brand name. At least Goodyear which is my preferred brand put a unique model tire on the Wal-mart shelf. Tires are critical to me and saving a few dollars just isn't worth it. That said, they are probably decent tires and a good value and I might consider for a beater-type vehicle. I actually would be more concerned with quality of the wal-mart tire technicians than anything else, at least in my area!

Interesting! I had no idea that they had different tires. I would be concerned with the wal-mart tire technicians in my area, as well, though it can't be that hard to put tires on. On the other hand, I don't know if they would have told me that I needed new brake pads and finding out that sort of thing is a safety issue for me.

I posted elsewhere that I surprised my self by buying tires online. I was using The Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels strictly for comparison shopping and found that even with shipping I got a great price on the brand and model tire I was looking for. They partner with various local stores for install and I chose NTB (owned by Sears, I think) where they delivered the tires and I got 4 Gooodyear Eagle LS tires installed and out the door w/ 4wheel alignment for $560. I always get an alignment check when installing new tires.

Now there's something else I did not know. I had no idea that online sources would partner with local stores like that. Live and learn!

Now there's something else I did not know. I had no idea that online sources would partner with local stores like that. Live and learn!

I was surprised also. Usually installation of replacement parts purchased elsewhere is a problem. The installer loses a juicy parts markup and has some liability if the part is low-quality or defective. For this reason, I expected some attitude from the installer, but it was just the opposite. After ordering the tires I got an email notification and called the tire shop and they greeted me very well "Mr Jazz, we were just ready to call you.....your tires are in, when would you like to bring your car?"

i didnt read the whole thread, but have you considered taking your es300 to a toyota dealer? they will fix it with toyota parts for a fraction of the cost (your car is the same as a camry). or take it to an independent garage/=...dealers ALWAYS charge too much

Yes, I actually took the car to an independent garage in the middle of last week, thanks to this forum. (It's a place near where I used to live, and I followed the Car Talk mechanics link on this thread to verify that they have good reviews) The "Check Engine" light was on. The mechanic didn't find anything wrong with it and just reset it. They charged me for their time but didn't make up any excuse why I need to spend hundreds of dollars on it. They told me to come back if the light comes back on. I'll go back next week to have the timing belt replaced. They were too busy this week to take it on.

I like it! Thanks everyone.

Yes, I actually took the car to an independent garage in the middle of last week, thanks to this forum. (It's a place near where I used to live, and I followed the Car Talk mechanics link on this thread to verify that they have good reviews) The "Check Engine" light was on. The mechanic didn't find anything wrong with it and just reset it. They charged me for their time but didn't make up any excuse why I need to spend hundreds of dollars on it. They told me to come back if the light comes back on. I'll go back next week to have the timing belt replaced. They were too busy this week to take it on.

I like it! Thanks everyone.
Did they happen to mention what the code was for? It might be helpful to know and you may want to take note of whats going on when/if the light comes back on (road speed, engine warm, cold, etc.)

Did they happen to mention what the code was for? It might be helpful to know and you may want to take note of whats going on when/if the light comes back on (road speed, engine warm, cold, etc.)

I have it in my car but don't remember -- it's some component that's not running efficiently. (That shows you how much I know about cars!) :duh:

Back
Top Bottom