Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What's your Facebook status?
Avid Facebook user 23 14.94%
Non-user and happy this way 56 36.36%
Originally skeptical but have become a user 49 31.82%
Used it for a while but dropped out 26 16.88%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Facebook use
Old 05-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've avoided Facebook so far, but I'm increasingly feeling left out of many of my social networks. Am I really as much of a dinosaur as I'm starting to think I am?

Is everyone really using FB, or is it still just a subset?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not a fan.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #3

This place is enough for me. I don't get bothered and the moderators are my blocking backs.

http://youtu.be/F9y_KZwOq9g

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

None of the above. Use it, and check in fairly regularly, but use it differently from most folks.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I am on Facebook, but I am not an active user. My wife, on the other hand, is an avid user and she "tags" me all the time. Hence my wall gets populated even though I never post anything (I call DW my "social secretary"). Works for me. I was able to reconnect with old friends thanks to FB, and that's pretty much why I maintain a presence there.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #6

I would say that my choice isn't really there either. My kids signed me up and I use it regularly for many different things. I wish that we had had when we were overseas and away from the extended family from 2001-2004.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
Administrator

I only use Facebook to communicate with my daughter and find out what is going on in her life. She posts everything to Facebook every day, and has "friended" all of her friends. It is a great way to keep in touch with her and with whatever happens to be really important in her life at the moment.

My Facebook profile is locked up as tight as Fort Knox, to the best of my ability. At any rate, it has no information about me at all. Also I don't add other "friends", even other relatives and not even Frank. He uses Facebook the same way I do, in his case to communicate with his sisters.

I go to Facebook every day, although I don't really do anything there but read my daughter's entries and sometimes comment on them.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Like.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have never been on it. My circle of friends all communicate enough by texting and emails almost daily, so it is not needed. I do no think they use it either. Though everyone's wife's including my GF, also seem to enjoy being on it all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Not a user. I suppose it might help me renew contact with various old friends and co-workers, but what would I really have in common with them at this point? My days are already full of things I'd like to do, and that doesn't include keeping in touch with a thousand people via electronic means.
I guess if I enjoyed the annual 5 page Christmas newsletters some families send out, I'd probably enjoy Facebook.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #11

This poll won't let me vote for some reason, though as soon as I'm able, I will vote "Avid User". I took a month-long hiatus from FB recently, as I was getting fed-up with it. I didn't miss it, but went back on just once and have stayed on since then.

I am a fairly open book on Facebook. Haven't yet been able to find a reason not to be.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

None of the above.

I'd describe myself as a reluctant and very light user. I'm a member so I don't loose contact with reality friends and family.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I've avoided Facebook so far, but I'm increasingly feeling left out of many of my social networks. Am I really as much of a dinosaur as I'm starting to think I am?

Is everyone really using FB, or is it still just a subset?
You are missing out on a great way to keep up with the folks you choose to keep up with! Get a friend who is a regular user to help you set it up with the proper privacy settings and restrictions, then use it as your own interests dictate. It is a tool not a cult.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #14

I signed up to see a few people's sites, but there's nothing on my page and I only check in perhaps once a month. Just not interesting to me. I understand from many of the college kids I teach that it is pretty passe these days.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Occasional user. Post infrequently. Just go there to see what friends and family are up to and also for the laughs.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to visit a particular bulletin board site (like this one) daily for many years. A core group of us became friends (visit each other IRL) and we moved the whole thing to FB and it has worked great.

I use FB for my regular group but also because I have a large family that has scattered all over and it allows us all to share our lives, pics of the kids, major life events, etc. The wonderfulness of this cannot be overstated.

Lots of community sites are now on FB. Our HOA has moved to FB, our kids local sports teams, boyscout troop, school, etc. It has become a primary communication mechanism for all kinds of groups we belong to.

The downside of FB:
- The wacky uncle who posts 30 times a day various political propaganda or rants. "Wake up sheeple!!" (Fortunately, FB has a "hide" button which comes in handy!)
- The old flame boyfriend/cyber stalker who repeatedly sends unwanted messages/friend requests
- Ever-evolving privacy settings. Honestly, there are 4 million privacy settings you need to navigate in FB. OK, maybe I exaggerate. Maybe others don't care who/what/why/where sees their FB page, but if you do - good luck adjusting all the settings - friends only, friends of friends, public groups, secret groups, family, public, tags, notifications, etc...jeesh!)
- All the Candy Crush gamers who post weird game-related invites onto your newsfeed (again, fortunately you can hide those posts, too)
- The friends who post a pic of every single meal they eat in a day, every walk they take, every trip to gym, what color shoes they are wearing with their outfit, etc. Oversharing each moment of their day.
- The friends that share daily motivational or philosophical sayings or prayers.

Needless to say, while I use FB daily, I have invested some time in fine-tuning all my settings to block lots of stuff from my newsfeed and my life. Even then, I recently posted a pic of an event that happened many years ago, and was surprised how many people "liked" the pic - and I am not "friends" with them and do not know them (friends of friends of friends??)
Old 05-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #17

FB for family only, it helps us keep in touch with the kids and their kids. DW canceled her account so she secretly uses mine. I'd use it more often but it mostly seems to attract people from my work past.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Not a user. I suppose it might help me renew contact with various old friends and co-workers, but what would I really have in common with them at this point? My days are already full of things I'd like to do, and that doesn't include keeping in touch with a thousand people via electronic means.
I guess if I enjoyed the annual 5 page Christmas newsletters some families send out, I'd probably enjoy Facebook.
+1
Just don't see the benefit. If friends have anything important to share, they have my cell # and email address.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #19

I tried it for about a week several years ago. I said, "This is stupid" and deleted my account although I had not posted anything or completed a profile. I have absolutely zero interest in it.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #20

Went on a couple of times. Have grown to completely ignore it, very little relevant information, rather spend my time here. Got my email set to automatically send anything from facebook into the trash.