Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What Type of Decison Maker Are You?
Assessment decision-maker 21 24.14%
Locomotive decision-maker 32 36.78%
A Combiniation of the Assessment and Locomotive decision-maker 29 33.33%
Other 5 5.75%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: For You is Life a Decision of Choices or Choices, Choices and More Choices?
Old 08-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: For You is Life a Decision of Choices or Choices, Choices and More Choices?

Saw an interesting segment on the morning news today about decision making. Which type of decision maker are you? Mainly, two types are described:

1) "Assessment decision-makers" – They do extensive research, but they often feel overwhelmed and stressed when deciding, then feel buyer's remorse afterward.

2) "Locomotive decision-makers" – They choose quickly, based on available information. They do not get overwhelmed or stressed, and are often satisfied with their choice.

Quote:
It's estimated we each make about 35,000 decisions every day – everything from what to eat for breakfast, to how to spend our money. But with so many options, it's often hard for some people to make choices.
Psychiatrist Dr. Sue Varma explained some of the variables that go into our decision-making to "CBS This Morning": "What is our attention span in life in general? What is on our plate at the moment? What's competing for our attention? What is our motivation? How much does this decision matter to us? What are the perceived consequences of those decisions? And what is our unique personality style?"

Researchers say there are two types, or styles, of decision-makers:
"Assessment decision-makers" – They do extensive research, but they often feel overwhelmed and stressed when deciding, then feel buyer's remorse afterward.

"Locomotive decision-makers" – They choose quickly, based on available information. They do not get overwhelmed or stressed, and are often satisfied with their choice.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tips-to...-dr-sue-varma/

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2019, 01:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I chose "locomotive decision maker". I do the necessary research, true, but when that is done I am very decisive, shoot from the hip, and do not regret my decisions.

This aspect of my personality often surprises those who know me.

An example of this is when I bought my Dream Home. I hadn't even contacted my real estate guy for six months, one night when Frank and I saw the sellers' realtor pounding in a "For Sale" sign on the house next door to his (Frank's) house in the dark, at 8 PM. I immediately contacted my real estate guy with the phone number and name of the seller's realtor. He was eating dinner at a fine restaurant but had his cell phone with him, and by 9 PM he had lined up the first showing for me the following morning.

At the showing, on the way out I told my real estate guy I absolutely wanted it and would pay up to $50K over full price in cash for it. He recommended a full price cash offer instead, I agreed, and he immediately told the sellers' realtor to expect a full price cash offer ASAP.

An hour or two later we had formally submitted the offer, BOOM! This was less than 20 hours after the sign was first erected and it didn't even hit the MLS for a day or two after that. By that time my offer was formally accepted.

However I had already done my research. I knew exactly what I wanted, had been following real estate prices in this neighborhood for several years, and this house met all of my criteria and more. Before viewing the house I asked Frank if he thought this would mess up our relationship in any way, and he said "no, it would probably improve it", which it has.

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
The Strange Case of the Employee and the OMY
Old 08-01-2019, 01:34 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Strange Case of the Employee and the OMY

Hmm... I think I disagree.
Quote:
It's estimated we each make about 35,000 decisions every day – everything from what to eat for breakfast, to how to spend our money.
Years ago I took a sales training class which postulated exactly the opposite, that people really only make about 1 genuine decision per year. Making a decision involves risk and responsibility, compared to accepting the status quo which confers some degree of camouflage. Discomfort vs comfort; which should we expect most humans to prefer?

Most of those other "decisions", e.g. what to have for breakfast, how to spend money, etc., are indistinguishable from muscle memory.

Quote:
But with so many options, it's often hard for some people to make choices.
This much is true, although it may be less a function of option-overload and more a function of reluctance to decide.

Consider how many of us exhibit this in our own FIRE strategies. We calculate and plan for some optimum exit date, but as it draws near we get squirmy and decide to stick it out just a bit longer. Or, in my case, secretly pray that some senior exec makes the decision for me by handing me the mitten. If somehow it doesn't work out, it was that idiotic VP's fault not mine.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:42 PM   #4
Administrator

I will research things, sometimes extensively, but I am comfortable acting on the basis of incomplete information when necessary. Once I have decided, I do not suffer "buyers remorse" or second guess myself, although I try to avoid confirmation bias and am willing to change course when new or different information suggests that I should.

It has always seemed to me that people who refuse to decide or act are in actuality making a positive choice to accept the status quo.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:45 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I do extensive research, often feel overwhelmed and stressed when deciding, rarely feel buyer's remorse afterward.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COZICAN View Post
I do extensive research, often feel overwhelmed and stressed when deciding, rarely feel buyer's remorse afterward.

Me too. Not sure why this isn't a category. And a 4th category would be those who decide quickly then have buyer's remorse.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I selected assessment decision-maker. Take time to decide. Used to be more so in the past than now. Yet, for important decisions, I like to weigh out the pros vs cons before finally deciding.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Depends on the decision being made. If it lands in my field of expertise, I am a quick decision maker, usually shooting from the hip, based on the available information. At w*rk, I am pretty accurate and seldom wrong. However, when it comes to things that I am not an expert at (finances), then I do a lot more research before making a decision.
Dalmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I usually do extensive research, I rarely get overwhelmed or stressed (I enjoy the search), and I'm usually completely satisfied with the choice. I would have thought that would have been a distinct choice in the poll, so I had no choice but combination.

The segment only mentioned those two decision maker titles so rather than trying to make up a title of my own, I decided a combination of the two. But feel free to think of catchy title that fits how you approach decision making.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:11 PM   #10

I am a combination, but I rarely have stress over it (perhaps because I enjoy doing research, it certainly helped in my career) and have learned to not have buyers remorse. For material things there will always be something nicer, cheaper, etc. than the choice you make. My view is not "something better might be out there" but "what I chose is making me happy".

A lot also depends on what I have to choose... short term/cheap/not expected to last items are quick/locomotive, longer term/expensive items are more towards the assessment category.

A current example for me: in my retirement plan was to purchase another vehicle to support hauling stuff for my home improvement projects and our outdoor hobbies. Originally I intended to get in within a few months of retirement. BUt I have spent over a year studying, analyzing, and doing various kinds of research (Minivan or SUV, new or used, what key features, what brands, price, others experience, where to buy from, etc). Nothing overwhelming, in fact it has been fun - maybe in the last 3 months I have spent on average 1/2 day a week doing this research. I have narrowed things down and could be making a decision within a month. I know as soon as I buy it I will come across something "nicer", but all that matters is that I like what I choose.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #11

I chose locomotive. I decide what I want and I go get it. I do spend time researching, but I don't get hung up on it. There just isn't that much that would actually hurt you, financially or otherwise, if you make the wrong decision. Even a house can be sold if it doesn't turn out to be to your liking.

DW is something entirely different. Analysis paralysis doesn't begin to describe her process. But, the biggest issue I have with her is that she continues to shop after the purchase. Talk about a way to feel remorse. I've never been sure if she's looking to confirm that she made a good purchase or just likes the pain of finding a different option she didn't get or a price that is lower. I'm pretty sure she doesn't even know.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I didn't vote. I don't do much research, and rarely make a decision. Eventually something happens and I go along with it. Remorse requires looking backward, and I tend to just roll along.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:35 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

As usual with these types of things, neither fits me.

I will research quite a bit on things, but I don't usually have buyer's remorse. In fact, sometimes, I simply decide that I don't want to buy at all. Other times, I buy and am happy.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:55 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COZICAN View Post
This is me as well.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I will research things, sometimes extensively, but I am comfortable acting on the basis of incomplete information when necessary. Once I have decided, I do not suffer "buyers remorse" or second guess myself, although I try to avoid confirmation bias and am willing to change course when new or different information suggests that I should...
+1

Describes me exactly. I voted combo.

Quote:
...It has always seemed to me that people who refuse to decide or act are in actuality making a positive choice to accept the status quo.
Or in the words of Neil Peart: "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:05 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
Or in the words of Neil Peart: "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Neil is so much more eloquent than I am. And a hell of a drummer.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:21 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I did not vote. Depends highly on the type of decision, and the consequences/costs of the decision. Closer to locomotive most of the time. For major decisions, even when doing extensive research, I rarely stress over the decision, and rarely have buyer's remorse.
Lewis Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Neil is so much more eloquent than I am. And a hell of a drummer.
Probably the best ever.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:29 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm a little of both. I get a lot of analysis paralysis when making some decisions that have some key time, money, or limited opportunity implications like during a trip, and end up reanalyzing my decision over and over if the result wasn't perfect.

Other times, I'm ok making a quick decision because I know that if I do make a mistake or the result isn't the greatest, it's potentially an opportunity for a lesson learned or to grow my knowledge base.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:53 PM   #20

I do the train!

Never look back, never "what if", ain't got time for that stuff.