Poll: How hot are you?

Fooled ya. What temperature (fahrenheit) is it outside where you are?

• >80

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • >60

Votes: 38 27.0%
  • >40

Votes: 28 19.9%
  • >20

Votes: 21 14.9%
  • >10

Votes: 23 16.3%
  • >-10

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • >-30

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • >-50

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters
califdreamer said:
Kumquat, where on Earth do you live:confused:

I don't know about Kumquat, who probably is in Canada, but in Embarrass Minnesota it was 42 below last night.

Cold will continue until sometime next week.

The big lake finally froze up as far as the eye can see. Temperature was around five below with a pretty good wind. Thursday I went down to look and the ice fishermen were out in full force (skipping work?):

img_481664_0_154586c23a13a7b204444a02bc5e0d77.jpg

img_481664_1_5eddd54b969a03d14d7d153df42d3eb0.jpg

img_481664_2_a2a6ea8f29d7025d419bdb800b4a7c70.jpg

Hit 74 here yesterday. Gabe was driving his hummer around the circle barefoot and in shorts, chugging my pepsi.

Martha said:
The big lake finally froze up as far as the eye can see.

1) Beautiful pictures.
2) Glad I don't live there.

In photo #1...shouldnt someone paint over those words? Otherwise if the fish see it, they're gonna know its a trap!

In photo #3...down in the lower left corner...is that....? Yep, its Jimmy Hoffa...

Martha said:
The big lake finally froze up as far as the eye can see.
Wow, people really can walk on water. What a concept.

It's 60 degrees in Portland, OR today and not raining ! I could get use to this.

Re: Hey Nords, nice wave break on our north shore.

img_484324_0_4ce9a4a09372bdda89c7c1db4d783c8a.jpg

img_484324_1_1a06f49bb0927120b77ba558d325d1b2.jpg

Oddly, it has been fairly cold, but next to no snow here. Though today and tonight we are supposed to get about 8 inches.

img_484324_2_8d969dda251a67d6fd19d178cc64c0ec.jpg

I'm too lazy to take counterpoint photos this morning. Just imagine the palm trees I nicely pruned up yesterday or the plum tree in my back yard thats in full bloom. >:D

One picture is worth a thousand whimpers!

I guess that means I can't complain about this week's surfing with the 69-degree air temperature and the 72-degree water? I actually saw a guy wearing a neoprene rash guard and he was kinda embarrassed about it. Of course he caught more waves than the rest of us so it was worth it.

OK, enough posting. I have to see if I can find my pants & socks for the San Antonio trip...

Hmmm - ya know after Western Washington, Denver, and New Orleans - the plains - away from water and mountains is looking better and better.

West Texas, dryland Kansas, Oklahoma?

heh heh heh - no I didn't fall on my head - just taking a plains break.

warmed up a bit this morning--only -24F (not counting wind chill).

Here's a photo of the sun at it's high point at solstice. The horizon line on the right is ocean. The airport in the forgeground.

What I won't do for $.....96 more days and counting.

Attachments

• winter solstice at kotzebue.jpg
    winter solstice at kotzebue.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 15
  • winter solstice at kotzebue.jpg_thumb
    23.5 KB · Views: 0
bosco said:
warmed up a bit this morning--only -24F (not counting wind chill).

Here's a photo of the sun at it's high point at solstice. The horizon line on the right is ocean. The airport in the forgeground.

What I won't do for $.....96 more days and counting.

Cool picture, thanks.

So how much time do you spend outside?

Nords said:
One picture is worth a thousand whimpers!

I guess that means I can't complain about this week's surfing with the 69-degree air temperature and the 72-degree water? I actually saw a guy wearing a neoprene rash guard and he was kinda embarrassed about it. Of course he caught more waves than the rest of us so it was worth it.

OK, enough posting. I have to see if I can find my pants & socks for the San Antonio trip...

Nords: Hey, we have fun here in Minnesota too. If you remember, DW posted a picture of ice fishermen last week. One of the them was actually an ice surfer. My guess is that he's riding that ice wave into shore. The problem is that those ice waves only move 6-12 inches/day, so the Minnesota surfers can usually go home for lunches of noodle casserole. And then return on Saturday for the exciting big glide into shore--while standing up. ;) ::)

Minnesota, where the livin is goooood!

Greg said:
Minnesota, where the livin is goooood!

Greg

Do they actually say: "Yeah - you bettcha!" in Minnesota like in the movie.?

heh heh heh - 42 degrees and raining here - like almost springtime!

Martha said:
So how much time do you spend outside?

this time of year, not much.

I typically walk from my office to the project site (about 3 blocks). People think I'm nuts, but why torture a vehicle for a 3-block drive? I don't have a head-bolt plugin at work, only at home, and I just can't bring myself to leave it run all day even though it's my employer's truck and they pay for the gas. The walk back is into the wind, and I really should have my face covered. Forehead, cheeks, and nose get kinda frosty.

Thing is, this is a town of Eskimos. They go tooling around on snowmobiles and 4-wheelers all the time in snowsuits. Dressed properly, it's ok. But it's pretty hard to get decent exercise--doesn't seem healthy to get aerobic outdoors from about -25 down. And it warmed up a month ago and glazed everything, so things are REALLY slick and treacherous on foot.

lack of exercise is taking it's toll on me. I'm leaving here in 6 more days for a 2 month layoff. Plan to do lots of outdoor things, work off a bit of the extra gut that's appeared (haven't gained weight but redistributed, but not in a good way). It's hard to do much outside of my j*b when I don't have ties here, and have been working 7-10s since July, with only 1 week off and 1 week reduced (X-mas week).

The bright side is, once I come back, I have 90 more days and then I can hang it up!!!

unclemick2 said:
Greg

Do they actually say: "Yeah - you bettcha!" in Minnesota like in the movie.?

heh heh heh - 42 degrees and raining here - like almost springtime!

Nope. They don't say it much--except on TV or in the movies. "Yeah" and "You bettcha" mean virtually the same thing--a sign of agreement with the speaker. Minnesotans are not a wordy bunch most of the time. One short phrase or grunt usually suffices for an answer. Or they just nod in agreement . . . that is unless a sauna and/or lutefisk is involved. Then they giggle and start jabbering, get undressed, and start looking for the butter and hot mustard. :D

Back
Top Bottom