Poll: How hot are you?

Fooled ya. What temperature (fahrenheit) is it outside where you are?

• >80

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • >60

Votes: 38 27.0%
  • >40

Votes: 28 19.9%
  • >20

Votes: 21 14.9%
  • >10

Votes: 23 16.3%
  • >-10

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • >-30

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • >-50

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters
Martha said:
It is 20 below and windy and I can't breathe outside so I am stuck here on the internet with you guys. Tell me, is it worse where you are? Better?
Oh, Martha.

For months the other Hawaii guys on the board have been pestering me. "Hey Nords, when can we start teasing the ERs about Mainland winters? It's a lot of fun on TMF's ER board and they're beggin' for it! When can we start posting pictures of Santa surfing into Waikiki? Hunh? Hunh?"

For months I've been holding them back, saying "Now, guys, let's give them a break, let's not make fun of them for choosing to live in such a thermally-challenged location, we all just have to show a little tolerance". I think you'll have to agree that everyone has shown admirable restraint.

But now you've just gone too far. Are you talkin' to us?!? You're really asking for a Hawaii weather report?!?

So hey, I'll go first! I don't have a recent Waikiki bikini photo handy but I'm sure one of the kama'aina will oblige. Let me say that we got up to 82 degrees at Hale Nords but the morning was bitterly, bitingly, horribly cold. I was shivering in sweat pants and a fleece jacket, with longing thoughts of socks (if I could only remember where I stored them). Even the bunny had his fur puffed out-- 64 degrees. Fahrenheit, no less.

But we'll make it through the winter somehow, even if I have to spend the entire day going through this house closing EVERY window!

Supposed to drop down to 48 tonight so all the windows are closed and the electric blanket is on (really). It is only going to 79 so I am going to have to wear long pants into MegaCorp again.

Caroline said:
They're calling for 69 tomorrow here on the San Francisco Bay. I will pay in June, July & August with temps in the high 80s. ;)

So long as the ground stays in one place, it's paradise!

What Caroline said!

But there has been frost on the ground in the morning but if you sleep in you miss it.

MB

10 below zero here this am ...but luckily the temperature is supposed to rise to a daytime average of about 85 in the next wek or so (of course thats because I'll be spending the rest of my winter house hunting and vacationing in the bahamas) :D

RUN AWAY!

We spent a couple of hours this afternoon out in the circle out front, throwing a ball around, gabe driving his new hummer. Nobody wearing long sleeves and some shorts in evidence.

-7 F this AM Windchill -25 F. Pump froze for the first time in years. Luckily not bad was able to thaw with an electric heater in about an hour with no leaks.

Bruce

It was so cold outside yesterday that the beer in the Heineken keg froze :eek: :eek:

Not to worry, it was quickly rescued and transported into warm bellies.

In SE Texas we have had a rainy and cool January. It has been about 10 degrees below normal. Blame it on El Nino. However, February is looking better.

Yesterday's high was 65 F and this morning it was 48 F with sunny skies.
Sunny and partly cloudy skies are in this week's forecast.

Twenty four below this morning. I had a case of diet coke against a wall in the kitchen. Ice in the coke. :D Still a good wind out there so there is a hazardous wind chill warning with wind chills down to 50 below. But the sun is shining brightly and I am starting to notice the days getting longer.

Martha is there any insulation in your walls? That's damned cold next to a wall!!

Outtahere said:
Martha is there any insulation in your walls? That's damned cold next to a wall!!

Our kitchen is a bump out on a 1903 building. The walls are several layers of brick, no wood framing. There is a small gap between the brick and the plaster/lathe walls. We filled that gap to some extent with little styrofoam balls. We did lower the ceiling and added considerable insulation there. Not much more we can do.

It hit 70 out here yesterday. It was a beautiful sunny day. We're about 80 miles south of San Antonio. We ran away from Kerrville for a couple of weeks - it's been 20 degrees cooler in Kerrville (it seems).

Coldest weather we experienced this winter was in Albuquerque where we had two nights get down to 11/12 degrees. Unusual for ABQ - but it was nice finally getting out of there to warmer climes.

The nice thing about living in a motorhome is that you can "follow the good weather".

Audrey

Funny how I live most of my life trying desperately to keep things cool and you work hard to keep things warm.

Wanna go halfsies on two really long pieces of pipe and a couple of fans?

Maybe someday someone will come up with some cost effective way of storing winter cold to be released on hot summer days and vice-versa.

My family stored winter cold in the "good old days" in an ice house. Saw big blocks of ice from the lake, pack it in sawdust in the ice house for summer use. :)

Martha said:
We filled that gap to some extent with little styrofoam balls.

:-\ So hundreds of thousands of little styrofoam men sacrificed their manhood just so you could be a little more comfortable in the winter? You should be ashamed of yourself! :'(

Nords said:
So hey, I'll go first! I don't have a recent Waikiki bikini photo handy but I'm sure one of the kama'aina will oblige. Let me say that we got up to 82 degrees at Hale Nords but the morning was bitterly, bitingly, horribly cold. I was shivering in sweat pants and a fleece jacket, with longing thoughts of socks (if I could only remember where I stored them). Even the bunny had his fur puffed out-- 64 degrees. Fahrenheit, no less.

But we'll make it through the winter somehow, even if I have to spend the entire day going through this house closing EVERY window!

Hey Nords: Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that your post a while back that stated "Two of my favorite things to do as a youngster was to set ant hills on fire, and pull the wings off flys?" :D

Martha: Hang in there, and please make sure that you don't "freeze your buns off". 8)

MODERATOR EDIT: Repaired quote

i was going to head up to tampa for a few days last week but it seemed a little too chilly there. but even here the temperature has dipped to 68 today. it's been so cold i had to turn the air conditioning off and put on socks. supposed to drop tonight to 58 degrees and then the rest of the week is mostly sunny skies with highs around 77 and lows in the 60s.

i have no idea what the "below" temperatures mean but i'm certain i don't have the clothing for it. i'm studying more about perpetual travel or vagabonding type of a lifestyle. i want to be able to further reduce my wardrobe so it all fits in a little sack that i'll be tieing to the end of a stick. to that end i've recently stumbled across this very helpful resource:

www.babakoto.eu/Travelplanner.htm

it shows rainfall & temperatures by month for all the world's countries. perfect reference for zigzagging around the world. yup, i'm pretty much gonna be in shorts, a t-shirt and flipflops for the rest of my life.

lg4nb,
Don't forget to include sunscreen and mosquito repellent in your little sack.

Martha,
I normally walk with the 10-year-old neighbor girl to school, but it was -16 today at 7:30 a.m. I planned to take her in the car, but I heard over the radio that schools were closed. (She was happy to not have school.)

I did drive to work instead of taking the bus. A small area in the office has no heat. My room has heat but my feet won't warm up even with a space heater on.

At 1:15 p.m., it's a sunny -2 afternoon in our south central WI town. Too bad I don't have a window to look at the sunshine :( Oh well, at least I have a space heater. I feel sorry for poor people with no heat.

Same old same old here, around 70, typical winter weather. We did have a cold snap a couple weeks ago, I had ice on my windsheild in the morning! Come visit San Diego, you are always welcome for dinner, Martha!

Back
Top Bottom