• I am not an engineer

Votes: 84 39.1%
  • I am not an engineer but, always wanted to be one

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • I think engineers are hot

Votes: 25 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When I first arrived at A&M, I was proudly told (without having asked) that there was a full 8% female enrolled that year, more than ever before. Of course, that was across all majors. I think my graduating class in engineering was about 1%-2% female. To me it wasn't a big deal since I was treated like everybody else.

They must have also proudly told you that you can't be a cheer leader here. I must admit, I like a lot of the Aggie traditions, but this is not one of them.:LOL:

At RPI, we had quite a few women back in the early 70s (maybe 20-25%) compared to many of the other engineering schools, but some were smoking hot and most were far less nerdy looking than the guys.

Two engineering students were walking across campus when one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?"

The second engineer replied, "Well, I was walking along yesterday minding my own business when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike. She threw the bike to the ground, took off all her clothes and said, "Take what you want."

The second engineer nodded approvingly, "Good choice; the clothes probably wouldn't have fit."

Q: What you call a non-anal engineer?

A: perpetually unemployed.

While I followed the ME route, most of my engineering work was either Civil and Mining. Then an MBA changed the focus and engineering became secondary. However, engineering has always influenced my thinking. Son chose ME and then a masters in Aeronautical. His fiance has her degree in Chemical and is working on a masters in EE.

I would speculate those in the career fields of education and engineering would have a higher percentage becoming FI than people in other career fields. Has anyone seen any studies regarding people that are FI and their career field? :confused:

I would speculate those in the career fields of education and engineering would have a higher percentage becoming FI than people in other career fields. Has anyone seen any studies regarding people that are FI and their career field? :confused:

I don't know of any offhand, but education makes sense, most retirees get a pension good enough to cover all their expenses and then some if they don't waste money.

By the later 80's it seemed that the majority of new grads I saw did not have this background. They were in Engineering because they were good in math in high school, and were guided to Engineering by counselors. And if they were very good in math, guided to EE. It was a job.

Over the years, the basic stock that most Engineers were built from changed, and I started seeing the ills in Engineers that I saw in the general population. So Engineers weren't as special anymore. And the people problems increased. Sometimes I wished I could have dispensed medications... forcefully!

That reminds me of an interesting story of recent engineering grads. About three years ago two fourth-year engineering students lived in one of my rental units. I received a call that their living room duplex outlet wasn't working. Since they were soon to be engineering grads, I assumed they had some basic analytical reasoning skills and suggested that they check the breaker. They claimed that it seemed ok. I went by that evening to check on it. After asking which duplex was not working, I flipped the wall switch near the entrance. The duplex worked fine. :face palm:

About a week later I got another call from the same guys about the outside floodlight being out. Remembering the last call I asked if they checked the bulb. Oh yes, of course they did. I went by later that evening and took a bulb anyway. Yep, you guessed it: it was the bulb. I never did find out who they went to work for, but I hope it doesn't required even simple analytical reasoning.

Not anymore. Now an unemployed slacker aka ER.

Yipee! :dance:

heh heh heh - I don't even worry about how to spell it. :ROFLMAO::greetings10:.

ok ok ok there was once an INTJ, lefthanded, EN-GA-Near who has faded into the dust bin of history after 18 years of ER.

Last edited:
In my worklife, I saw it shift over the years. EE's of the 1970's that I knew or worked with were by and large more physical based. They tended to have a lifetime background of wonder of how things worked, took things apart, etc. This ability to take something that one did not understand, break it down into pieces, figure out the sub-parts, then work up to the system level served them (and me) well. Later, even if you could not physically break down a component, subsystem or system, you had the ability to do it mentally.

By the later 80's it seemed that the majority of new grads I saw did not have this background. They were in Engineering because they were good in math in high school, and were guided to Engineering by counselors. And if they were very good in math, guided to EE. It was a job.

I graduated from engineering in 90's and I think I fit the second mold you describe. My brother (also an engineer now emerg doc) used to make fun of me because I didn't want to help him change the oil on his car as I'd get my hands dirty/greasy. Also took apart too many things trying to fix them and wondering why I had screws left when I put everything back together.:)

Anyway, switched to cs for grad school. I still make "stuff" but it's all intangible (statistical models) and i don't have to get literally dirty.

I was an ME. PE in Ohio but gave that when I RE 7 years ago in August. Being able to fix everything help LBYM. Today I let someone else change the oil about half the time, most often because the dealer has sent a free coupon. DW is CPA and joined me in RE last year. I was her handymen.

I'm a chameleon engineer...dabbled in a lot of things but never specialized.
BS Physics
21 credits MSEE (got bored and never finished)
J*b title was Electronics Engineer (0855 series with fed govt)
2 US patents

Does all of that count? :D

Oh, and yes, engineers are hot, or so I am frequently told on dress-up days. ;)

I've satisfied the EE side of my brain in ER by modeling equity & bond market timing -- in great detail. :)

The underdeveloped right side of the brain is now getting a workout:
1) oil painting
2) drawing with different media
3) reading good fiction
4) more gardening
5) dealing with the emotional side of spending instead of saving :dance:

I've satisfied the EE side of my brain in ER by modeling equity & bond market timing -- in great detail. :)

The underdeveloped right side of the brain is now getting a workout:
1) oil painting
2) drawing with different media
3) reading good fiction
4) more gardening
5) dealing with the emotional side of spending instead of saving :dance:
Same here!

One of the first things I did upon retiring was to crack some biology & geology texts because I had never had the "luxury" of studying natural history. I had some serious catching up to do! This was important to supplement my dedicated hobby of hiking, birdwatching, and outdoor appreciation of nature in general.

I also got involved in the art of creating beautiful images from nature (i.e. nature photography) which meant mastering composition, lighting and color. All the way to graphic design, actually, to go beyond just the photograph.

I don't really care if I don't design another circuit or write another line of code again. Well, I do like dabbling in my spreadsheets occasionally, and DH and I did get involved in all of the electrical/electronic/network issues as our house was built. :)

Audrey

From the time I was very young I was doomed to become an engineer. When things would break around the house, I got first crack at them before they were thrown in the trash. I was able to design and build a lot of neat stuff from discarded parts. Things that had motors (clocks, lawn mower engines, etc) were especially prized.

Same here!

One of the first things I did upon retiring was to crack some biology & geology texts because I had never had the "luxury" of studying natural history. I had some serious catching up to do! This was important to supplement my dedicated hobby of hiking, birdwatching, and outdoor appreciation of nature in general.
I forgot to add all that wonderful nature stuff! While running in the park I check out all the wildlife and do some serious wondering about geology and where all this great stuff came from.

I think we are finding that balancing the right & left brain functions is a nice path to real happiness. :greetings10:

Not anymore. Now an unemployed slacker aka ER.

Yipee! :dance:

heh heh heh - I don't even worry about how to spell it. :ROFLMAO::greetings10:.

ok ok ok there was once an INTJ, lefthanded, EN-GA-Near who has faded into the dust bin of history after 18 years of ER.
Mick, you is my role model. Talkin' survival here. (Not personally LH, but father, brother, FIL and son are/were.) I am not sure I could do what you have done, but knowing it can be done makes it possible.

Be well. Live long and prosper.

old Ed

Started working on cars as my passion at a young age, took 3 years auto mechanics in HS, never went to college other than a few Tech classes, took a job in a textile mill as a mechanic, went to work building machinery from blueprints, went into the engineering department detailing, then designing, ran the engineering department for awhile, designed system concepts for major corporate projects.
Now I mainly design multi million dollar machines which require stress calculations, speed and torque calculations, metal fatigue, service factors, componet life expectancy, etc...

But since I don't have the degree, by some peoples standards I'm not an actual Engineer.
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones :)

I do have a PHD though.
Parker High Diploma

Last edited:
So I wanted to vote yes on the last few questions...but it wont let met...dang
I am not an engineer but, always wanted to be one
bar4-l.gif
bar4.gif
bar4-r.gif
clear.gif
94.55%I think engineers are hot

At Virginia Tech they had a specific course called Engineering Economy that all Engineers were required to take their Senior year...

they tried hard to mask the course as a introduction to the world of business and smart practices in managing corporate expenses, saying it was crucial if we ever made the jump from Engineering profession into management or running our own companies.

Half of the lectures revolved around personal wealth management and the power of compounding interest. Also stating that even if we didn't deal with the business side, we needed to know how it worked to be a well rounded employee. I already knew about these things from all the math intense courses I took, but this specific class sent me down a path towards financial independence and living below my means.

Looking back I see the clear motive in requiring this class... the university wants financially intelligent high earning individuals to give back to the school. It doesn't do them good to send out six figure professionals who fall into the consumer lifestyle and never accumulate true wealth...

Engineers are also typically wired differently... there isn't a stigma surrounding the profession that they live large and spend large. Psychologically, it is more difficult as a Doctor not to drive the expensive car or live in the abundant house... because society would ask... "you're a doctor, why are you not?"...

Last edited:
I'm a chameleon engineer...dabbled in a lot of things but never specialized.
BS Physics
21 credits MSEE (got bored and never finished)
J*b title was Electronics Engineer (0855 series with fed govt)
2 US patents

Does all of that count? :D

Oh, and yes, engineers are hot, or so I am frequently told on dress-up days. ;)

Definitely counts. The best "engineer" that I ever knew as far as designing and fixing process machinery was concerned had a in BS Physics.

DW is CPA and joined me in RE last year. I was her handymen.

Cash-

You must be quite popular, quite popular with your wife, your wife. Most women would be happy to have ONE handyman. ;)

James would be doubly proud of you.

Hey girls, gather round
Listen to what I'm putting down
Hey baby, I'm your handy man

I'm not the kind to use a pencil or rule
I'm handy with love and I'm no fool
I fix broken hearts, I know that I truly can

If your broken heart should need repair
Then I'm the man to see
I whisper sweet things, you tell all your friends
They'll come runnin' to me

Here is the main thing that I want to say
I'm busy twenty-four hours a day
I fix broken hearts, I know that I truly can

CIVIL Engineers...the only REAL engineers.

All the rest is invisible magic.

Don't civil Engineers build the structures for the Aeronautical Engineers to blow up :)

OK, the results seem to be in; no additional posts for a couple days.

56% Engineers
40% Non-Engineers
4% Wannabe Engineers
12% Hot Engineers

Although this poll is somewhat self- selecting and, thus, probably not accurate. It does demonstrate that there are a lot of us on this forum. No big surprise I think. It probably also explains the pattern of discourse and debate about various subjects; [-]arguing[/-] debating with an engineer is, well, not something that pegs out most folks' fun meters. :banghead: But, it's usually informative and often entertaining.

Regarding the low "hotness" factor...somewhat disappointing. Perhaps there has not been enough sampling by the wider non-engineering community. I feel very confident that those single engineers among us would gladly volunteer to participate in any [-]well controlled[/-] at all experiments. :tongue: You know what they say, " Once you go Nerd, you never go.....whatever.". Perhaps the best bit about the hot 12% is that it's not attached to any one of us so, we can ALL be hot if we just believe we're in the 12%. Hope is a good thing.

Thanks for participating in the poll! :D

Back
Top Bottom