Votes: 84 39.1%
  • I am not an engineer but, always wanted to be one

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • I think engineers are hot

Votes: 25 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm actually surprised by the poll.

Does this mean that engineers know how to make and hang on to money, but really would rather not w*rk? :LOL:

I am not an engineer but I can fix almost anything. I only went to college for a short time in 1966. I found college very boring. The only thing I have found that I cannot fix is my golf swing:facepalm: but I am now working on that:D I will update later after I turn pro. :cool:LOL

OK, the results seem to be in; no additional posts for a couple days.

56% Engineers
40% Non-Engineers
4% Wannabe Engineers
12% Hot Engineers

Although this poll is somewhat self- selecting and, thus, probably not accurate.

That's an understatement. As I said earlier, there is no way to come to any conclusion at all in a self-selected poll like this. Other than some number of people who saw and then decided to take the poll identified themselves as engineers. That should be evident to an engineer.

It does demonstrate that there are a lot of us on this forum.

Is 117 (at this writing) 'a lot'? How many members on this forum? How many saw the poll? How many chose to read it (I'm guessing engineers might be drawn to it more than others)? Would that representation be any higher/lower than any other group of internet forum users in the same economic class? You don't really have a denominator, so you can't say anything at all about it, other than X responded in each category.

It probably also explains the pattern of discourse and debate about various subjects; [-]arguing[/-] debating with an engineer is, well, not something that pegs out most folks' fun meters. :banghead:

You need some data to back that statement up. (OK, I'm just kidding... well, sort of).

Regarding the low "hotness" factor...somewhat disappointing.

The problem I have with that Q is that it was an all or nothing. IME, some engineers would be considered hot, some not - the same as the general population. Is the incidence of 'hotness' more/less than the general population? I dunno. So I took the Q literally. I've known more than one hot engineer, so therefore, engineers (plural) are hot.

Thanks for participating in the poll! :D

You're welcome?

-ERD50

...(snip)...
It probably also explains the pattern of discourse and debate about various subjects; [-]arguing[/-] debating with an engineer is, well, not something that pegs out most folks' fun meters. :banghead:
This is an outrageous statement! I have so much fun telling you guys the best analytical method to solve all the problems you pose. And my advice is both exactly correct and free too! ;)

That's an understatement. As I said earlier, there is no way to come to any conclusion at all in a self-selected poll like this. Other than some number of people who saw and then decided to take the poll identified themselves as engineers. That should be evident to an engineer.

Is 117 (at this writing) 'a lot'? How many members on this forum? How many saw the poll? How many chose to read it (I'm guessing engineers might be drawn to it more than others)? Would that representation be any higher/lower than any other group of internet forum users in the same economic class? You don't really have a denominator, so you can't say anything at all about it, other than X responded in each category.

You need some data to back that statement up. (OK, I'm just kidding... well, sort of).

The problem I have with that Q is that it was an all or nothing. IME, some engineers would be considered hot, some not - the same as the general population. Is the incidence of 'hotness' more/less than the general population? I dunno. So I took the Q literally. I've known more than one hot engineer, so therefore, engineers (plural) are hot.

You're welcome?

-ERD50

There are few things in life more satisfying than a live demonstration of a hypothesis. ;)

In reading some of the obits on Neil Armstrong,I came across this quote and thought of this thread.

"I am, and ever will be, a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer," he said in February 2000 in one of his rare public appearances. "And I take a substantial amount of pride in the accomplishments of my profession."

“Everyone knows we need teachers and nurses, and we all love to recognize the individual genius philosopher or mathematician. But the occupational group most responsible for modern society is engineers, who should win a ‘most under-appreciated’ award.” - Marilyn vos Savant

“Scientists investigate that which already is; engineers create that which has never been.” - Einstein.

“Scientists investigate that which already is; engineers create that which has never been.” - Einstein.
"Theoretical science is the hard part. After that it's just a bunch of boring engineering."
-- every PhD in every university laboratory

"If those ivory-tower guys would just figure out what they're looking for and make a freakin' decision, then we could start designing and building it..."
-- every engineer who's ever worked with a PhD

The difference between engineers and scientists is more in their vocation, aptitude, and objectives than their academic degrees. I think that was what Einstein was trying to say. After all, there are engineers with PhD degrees. But it is true that in general, engineers with more academic training tend to get further away from practical considerations that one would need to address in a product. Sometimes some engineers forget that at the end of the day, they must have a useful product to sell. Scientists are allowed to be indifferent to practical concerns, and they should be.

I once had a job offer with the title of "Scientist" despite my engineering background. It turned out that at this corporation, engineers who worked in R&D, dealing with more advanced concepts and applying higher mathematics, were given that title as a distinction. However, I thought that a true scientist would be doing basic and fundamental research which was not what I did, and I would feel more appropriately be called "Super Duper Engineer" or something like that. A corporation that I worked at earlier had the title of "Staff Engineer" which I liked. After that, it is "Senior Staff Engineer", the highest level for a technical guy who does not want to be in management.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom