Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have no class

Votes: 20 15.3%
  • This question is stupid and/or confuses me

Votes: 13 9.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up working class (coal mining village in NE England) and still very much relate to and hang out with with working class folks as well as middle class folks. Income and asset wise then upper middle class.

I'm similar....working class....maybe lower middle. Dad worked as an electrical engineer tech. at Dorman Long, RAF installing radar, and ICI. Mum was a mill worker in Lancahsire and then a waitress. I worked at British Steel in the summer holidays. I was always working class in an "Alan Bleasdale"/Manchester Guardian intellectual sort of way. My parents had known real hardship in the 1930s and it was a working class household, but I got all the benefits of a free education and school trips to Germany and France and to see national touring theatre in York and Newcastle etc. When I went to college in London I changed the most because it was just so cosmopolitan and I had a posh girlfriend from Tunbridge Wells who's parents were Tories and very warm and nice people........that was a revelation.

A class of my own. At least that is DW assertion.

Now that we're ER'd does it matter? Pretty decent from a NW standpoint. From an annual income view we're as pathetic as possible. And from a lifestyle perspective we're priceless!

Yeah but you get lots of chances to do things right the next time....and the next etc.

Unless we come back as rabbits. :LOL:

Wow reading the wiki article I am all over the map. Before I read it I went for 'no class' but to the casual observer I would likely appear middle middle class (or some days lower middle class) based on what I am wearing/driving/shopping for but if you followed me home I'd probably get bumped to upper middle class. If one looked at the books, I guess we would have gotten a bump to the dreaded 1% on an income basis but parlayed that into FIRE so not a one percenter on the net worth front (not yet anyway)...

Last edited:
In the UK there is a rich history of "class" not so much in US.

I read somewhere that in England the word franklin used to describe someone landed but not part of the nobility, and this is where Benjamin Franklin got his name. This is a good description of my family, thanks to my Dad's branch. My Mother's side is of more modest origins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom