Preparing for the future (primarily for the young)

walkinwood

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I came across this article by Yuval Noah Harari. I had never heard of him, but he is a well regarded author/historian who has written 3 books. I plan to read them.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/yuval-noah-harari-extract-21-lessons-for-the-21st-century

He talks about how we prepared for the future in the 20th century v/s how we should be preparing for the future now.

Some quotes
Instead, people need the ability to make sense of information, to tell the difference between what is important and what is unimportant, and above all to combine many bits of information into a broad picture of the world.

To survive and flourish in such a world, you will need a lot of mental flexibility and great reserves of emotional balance.

Even though his focus in this article is on people just getting started, I think it applies to us middle-aged & older folks too. Beyond the uncertainties of our portfolio longevity, how will we handle the changes. Some are already faltering with smart phones. Will we have the emotional & intellectual fortitude to handle the changes coming our way and to thrive in that environment? I, for one, plan to keep up as long as I can.

Well said. Deep and worthy of more than a short reply. Son and self work at this almost daily. The underlying challenge for the future. Be back ;)

Same day 5:15....
Out of the shadows, into the light. The grand experiment. A volunteer testube project for human beings... from birth, with the best genes that science can determine. A multi faceted controlled long term experiment that involves consensual involvement.
Science at the highest and most imaginative level. A quantum leap to "Possibly" save humanity.

Wacko, way out thinking that may never be possible, and yet ... HOPE...

It's too new, too ethereal to happen, but the world isn't flat, electricity is a fact, and man has been on the moon.

Takers?

Back
Top Bottom