Recent Photo

Dave, that looks like SO MUCH FUN! I am not a risk taker, but gosh I'd love to try that! I really enjoy it every time you post one of these videos. Thanks!

I can't tell how much I enjoy your videos, Dave.

TargaDave,

Y'all look like you're having loads of fun! Thanks for sharing.

omni

Targa -

Thanks for the video! If it ever gets warmer here (and lot more windy) I might give something like that a try. Looks like a fun time.

You look like you are having so much fun. I could not imagine doing that myself. I really enjoy your videos too.

You must work hard to keep your shoulder girdle in good shape. It looks like a lot of the stress is on your shoulder joints. Pretty good core challenge too!

Great videos.

Ha

Dave,

Awesome video; I'm amazed that a kite could move a big guy like you along so fast. Waiting for 2012 video.

I'm amazed that a kite could move a big guy like you along so fast
Well, I was chowin down on the junk food last summer:)....
I am not a risk taker, but gosh I'd love to try that!Thanks!
My 110 pound daughter who wanted to learn spent the whole time saying "I'm a little scared" as she then proceeded to learn faster than just about every macho male jock I've taught over the last few years

You must work hard to keep your shoulder girdle in good shape. It looks like a lot of the stress is on your shoulder joints. Pretty good core challenge too!
Us old guys generally stay "hooked in" so not much shoulder stress at all......unless I happen to blow a jump, look down and suddenly realize I'm riding in 10 inches of water. I believe the universal pre-injury expression is "oh sh!" (the second word is generally never completed prior to impact....)

Last edited:
Last month we attended my cousin's wedding in Austin. He's an Army Ranger leaving the service after 12 years-- both enlisted & officer, four deployments, and four years at West Point. His spouse is a field medical assistant with two years to go on her West Point obligation.

The wedding was in the lobby of the Austin Omni Hotel. Highly recommended. The reception was a [-]loud drunken brawl[/-] blowout in their mezzanine banquet area-- also highly recommended. On Saturday nights the hotel even has a couple of Austin Police Department troopers stationed in the lobby. No, I don't want to get into how we learned that, but the bar closed at midnight and the DJ had to shut off his speakers at 2 AM. Luckily the hotel is near 6th Street and I hear Austin has some live music inside its city limits.

The first photo is spouse, our daughter, and me standing behind my aunt. My aunt is the fun one among our elders, and just before this picture we'd been swapping punchlines. The expression on my face is after spouse reminded me that I'd promised to behave. I was given special dispensation by the groom to wear aloha casual instead of coat & tie. I'm wearing actual shoes and my daughter is wearing two-inch heels, so that evening we were both 5'11".

The second photo is spouse and me at the reception table L (for "Losers") with other parents of friends of the bride & groom. (Our daughter was seated at the table of the sisters of the bride, but that's another [-]loud drunken brawl[/-] story.) We were sitting among Foreign Service diplomats and PhDs and neurosurgeons. None of them will ever retire, and they cannot even spell "ER". I lost count of the number of times I said "No, really, I find plenty of things to do all day. Oh, you don't surf?" I'm smiling because the Classic Rock DJ had just fired up the speakers too loud for anyone to tell me again that I was too young to retire.

Right now ClifP is thinking to himself "My gosh Nords, is that your daughter? I've never seen your surfer grrrl wear a dress before!!" She had a great time at the wedding and an even better time at the reception, especially when the sisters broke out shots of the traditional Lithuanian brandy. She met a lot of very friendly Army Rangers. That's her story and she's stickin' to it.

The wedding photographers were pretty smart-- after they finished the wedding portraits, they set up a portable studio outside the reception for more family portraits. But we're still waiting on those.

Attachments

• Family Nords.jpg
    Family Nords.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Wedding reception.jpg
    Wedding reception.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 73
Last month we attended my cousin's wedding in Austin. He's an Army Ranger leaving the service after 12 years-- both enlisted & officer, four deployments, and four years at West Point. His spouse is a field medical assistant with two years to go on her West Point obligation.

The wedding was in the lobby of the Austin Omni Hotel. Highly recommended. The reception was a [-]loud drunken brawl[/-] blowout in their mezzanine banquet area-- also highly recommended. On Saturday nights the hotel even has a couple of Austin Police Department troopers stationed in the lobby. No, I don't want to get into how we learned that, but the bar closed at midnight and the DJ had to shut off his speakers at 2 AM. Luckily the hotel is near 6th Street and I hear Austin has some live music inside its city limits.

The first photo is spouse, our daughter, and me standing behind my aunt. My aunt is the fun one among our elders, and just before this picture we'd been swapping punchlines. The expression on my face is after spouse reminded me that I'd promised to behave. I was given special dispensation by the groom to wear aloha casual instead of coat & tie. I'm wearing actual shoes and my daughter is wearing two-inch heels, so that evening we were both 5'11".

The second photo is spouse and me at the reception table L (for "Losers") with other parents of friends of the bride & groom. (Our daughter was seated at the table of the sisters of the bride, but that's another [-]loud drunken brawl[/-] story.) We were sitting among Foreign Service diplomats and PhDs and neurosurgeons. None of them will ever retire, and they cannot even spell "ER". I lost count of the number of times I said "No, really, I find plenty of things to do all day. Oh, you don't surf?" I'm smiling because the Classic Rock DJ had just fired up the speakers too loud for anyone to tell me again that I was too young to retire.

Right now ClifP is thinking to himself "My gosh Nords, is that your daughter? I've never seen your surfer grrrl wear a dress before!!" She had a great time at the wedding and an even better time at the reception, especially when the sisters broke out shots of the traditional Lithuanian brandy. She met a lot of very friendly Army Rangers. That's her story and she's stickin' to it.

The wedding photographers were pretty smart-- after they finished the wedding portraits, they set up a portable studio outside the reception for more family portraits. But we're still waiting on those.

Nice writeup on the wedding. Gotta love those Army Rangers:clap:

Nords, thanks for the post and pics. Sounds like everyone had a great time. Sure have a good looking family there. PS, I think your casual tux was right on. What else would a guy from Hawaii wear?

Thanks, everyone. It's hard to get them to agree to stand still for a portrait, and then I'm usually the one on the wrong side of the camera...

Our lychee are ripe!

I pruned this tree five years ago and I've regretted it ever since. I'll let it keep blocking the horizon view if it keeps rewarding us this way...

Attachments

• IMG_1641.JPG
    IMG_1641.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1675.JPG
    IMG_1675.JPG
    480.6 KB · Views: 31
Nemo, are the pics the ones titled Posado? If so:

A: the pool is killer!
B: the beach is gorgeous!
C: WTF are the carcasses?
D: love the vegetables!

Nemo, are the pics the ones titled Posado? If so:

A: the pool is killer!
B: the beach is gorgeous!
C: WTF are the carcasses?
D: love the vegetables!
Sarah, you must've accessed all the SkyDrive 'presentations' we have stored.....the Posado shots were from Puerto Escondido, (Mexico), last year......great little hotel, (almost all the guests were Mexican), we really enjoyed it.

The carcasses are hind & fore-quarters of beef.......the veggies were superb!

This year's lot are entitled "Costa Rica 2012", but you're surely welcome to view them all, (some of which are from digitized slide collections of trips in the past).

Cheers.

Last edited:
Col pics, but where is the meat?
The first link of Nemo's had some of their other pictures, but not the ones from Costa Rica--I looked at the Posado ones from last year, re: the meat! :D

However, the second link does indeed work, and it looks like a lovely place. Again, the vegetables are great, but my favorite is that monkey--what an awesome expression you captured! :D

Back
Top Bottom