Seeking Bread Machine Recommendations

FIREd

Moderator Emeritus
DW and I eat a lot of bread. I used to make my own bread by hand every couple of days but it got to be too much work and now we buy our bread at the grocery store. We probably spend about $3+ a day on (mostly) specialty breads. So there is the potential for substantial savings by making home bread again. Plus I want to control the ingredients that go into my bread.

I can't find decent bread machines at any of my local stores (I tried Target, Sears, BBB, etc... and the selection is pitiful). It looks like bread machines are not as popular as they once were. Anyways, I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for a good machine. I would like it to be heavy duty and durable, and I want the loaf to be horizontal.

So far, this is the one I favor:

Amazon.com: Zojirushi BBCCX20 Home Bakery Supreme Bread Machine: Home & Garden

I don't know anything about this brand, but people seem to like it.

I know Zojirushi makes a wonderful rice steamer but did not know they also had a bread machine. I used to have a Panasonic bread machine, and it was great. I gave it away several years ago as I wasn't using it much . I pick up bread from a local health food store, a nearby Italian store, and also Panera's(I love their French baguette).

I have an Oster machine that works very well. One thing about bread makers - lots of people get them then don't use them as much as they thought they would. Kinda like excercise equipment. I'd recommend finding a few brands that would work OK for you then checking Craigs list, Ebay and local yard sales. I bet you could get a screaming deal.

You might try RonBoyd. He makes bread every morning! I'm still in amazement over that one myself...

I sorta like the one DW bought about 20 years ago and is stashed in a closet somewhere.

Re: actually using the machine...

I know I will use it regularly. For years, I made bread every other day, mixing ingredients when coming home from work, kneading the dough by hand for 20 minutes, letting the dough rise for a while, shaping the dough and letting it rise again before baking the bread. By the time I was done it was past midnight sometimes. So I am motivated! It's just that I can't spend several hours every other day making bread by hand anymore (at least not as long as I am still working). But I would still prefer eating homemade bread.

Oh! What a timely thread. Yesterday, my Breadman Pro gave up after the Brass Bushing in the pan wore out. I was extremely disappointed. I had gone through a trying several week struggle on which machine to purchase before deciding on that one.My overriding rule had been that "it would be the last bread machine I would ever buy." Not that I expected an early personal demise but that I was tired of going through cheap bread machines (three times previously). The $120 was way more than I wanted to spend but eventually succumbed.

Anyway, as my anger reached a boiling point I looked it up and found that I had bought it five years ago next month. Somewhat (but not quite) calmed down, I figured I would simply purchase a new Bread Pan for the machine. Well, it turns out that Breadman went out of business and Black & Decker took over... but they are not supporting the product. No new Bread Pan for me. <Grrrrr> I was already experienced with B&D's bread machine and knew that they could not hold up to my kind of use.

Biting the bullet, I started all over. The most useful information came from this Bread Machine Review Website. Bottom line: I reached the same conclusion that you did -- the Zojirushi BBCCX20 is the only model that fits my specs. Interestingly, it was my second choice five years ago; losing out for pricing reasons. Now, I find, that the Breadman, during that time, earned a reputation for low quality and the Zojirushi proved to be very reliable.

(The Amazon price -- $214.94 -- is the lowest available -- matched by only one other source.)

I usually go with the King Arthur Flour recommendations. They do a lot of research. Of course they favor higher end bread machines because their clients are serious home bakers.

Looks like they are recommending two bread machines, and one is the Zojirushi BBCC-X20 Home Bakery Supreme Bread Machine you list. Zojirushi BBCC-X20 Home Bakery Supreme Bread Machine - White

And this other one (SS version of same?) Zojirushi BB-CEC20 Home Bakery Supreme Bread Machine - Stainless Steel

I would say you are good to go with the BBCCX20 because King Arthur won't recommend one unless they consider it capable of supporting a serious home baker.

BTW - when I had a bread machine, I always did the final baking in the oven because I liked to have more traditional (round or oval or baguette) shapes. I relied on the bread machine to do all the other work - and it was so good at mixing and rising the dough.

King Arthur has been recommending Zojirushi bread machines for years. Before that they recommended the Panasonic bread maker. I thought my Zojirushi was very good (I also liked the Panasonic). I don't have one now because I live in a motorhome and the truth is I don't eat nearly as much bread as I used to. But I still really enjoy baking it!

I used to make ciabatta! Learning to handle that super sticky dough is a trick, but the results - oh! I also used to make baguettes all the time.

Audrey

BTW - when I had a bread machine, I always did the final baking in the oven because I liked to have more traditional (round or oval or baguette) shapes. I relied on the bread machine to do all the other work - and it was so good at mixing and rising the dough./QUOTE]

+1 for all the non-loaf of bread types -- Hamburger buns, for instance. I. too, use only KA flours.

I usually go with the King Arthur Flour recommendations. They do a lot of research. Of course they favor higher end bread machines because their clients are serious home bakers.

Looks like they are recommending two bread machines, and one is the Zojirushi BBCC-X20 Home Bakery Supreme Bread Machine you list. Zojirushi BBCC-X20 Home Bakery Supreme Bread Machine - White

And this other one (SS version of same?) Zojirushi BB-CEC20 Home Bakery Supreme Bread Machine - Stainless Steel

I would say you are good to go with the BBCCX20 because King Arthur won't recommend one unless they consider it capable of supporting a serious home baker.

BTW - when I had a bread machine, I always did the final baking in the oven because I liked to have more traditional (round or oval or baguette) shapes. I relied on the bread machine to do all the other work - and it was so good at mixing and rising the dough.

King Arthur has been recommending Zojirushi bread machines for years. Before that they recommended the Panasonic bread maker. I thought my Zojirushi was very good (I also liked the Panasonic). I don't have one now because I live in a motorhome and the truth is I don't eat nearly as much bread as I used to. But I still really enjoy baking it!

I used to make ciabatta! Learning to handle that super sticky dough is a trick, but the results - oh! I also used to make baguettes all the time.

Audrey

Except for specialty flours, I use King Arthur Flours exclusively too but I didn't know they had bread machine recommendations. That's another plus for the Zo!

I also like the option to have the machine do the hard work and then bake the bread in the oven. I will use that option for making pizza dough and baguettes. Actually, I suspect I will bake the bread in the oven more often than not.

Oh! What a timely thread. Yesterday, my Breadman Pro gave up after the Brass Bushing in the pan wore out. I was extremely disappointed. I had gone through a trying several week struggle on which machine to purchase before deciding on that one.My overriding rule had been that "it would be the last bread machine I would ever buy." Not that I expected an early personal demise but that I was tired of going through cheap bread machines (three times previously). The $120 was way more than I wanted to spend but eventually succumbed.

Anyway, as my anger reached a boiling point I looked it up and found that I had bought it five years ago next month. Somewhat (but not quite) calmed down, I figured I would simply purchase a new Bread Pan for the machine. Well, it turns out that Breadman went out of business and Black & Decker took over... but they are not supporting the product. No new Bread Pan for me. <Grrrrr> I was already experienced with B&D's bread machine and knew that they could not hold up to my kind of use.

Biting the bullet, I started all over. The most useful information came from this Bread Machine Review Website. Bottom line: I reached the same conclusion that you did -- the Zojirushi BBCCX20 is the only model that fits my specs. Interestingly, it was my second choice five years ago; losing out for pricing reasons. Now, I find, that the Breadman, during that time, earned a reputation for low quality and the Zojirushi proved to be very reliable.

(The Amazon price -- $214.94 -- is the lowest available -- matched by only one other source.)

I am glad to hear that the Zo gets yet another recommendation from an experienced baker like you. I know that you thoroughly research your purchases so I am particularly thankful for your chiming in.

Except for specialty flours, I use King Arthur Flours exclusively too but I didn't know they had bread machine recommendations. That's another plus for the Zo!

I also like the option to have the machine do the hard work and then bake the bread in the oven. I will use that option for making pizza dough and baguettes. Actually, I suspect I will bake the bread in the oven more often than not.
Apparently they use them quite a bit in their own "test" kitchens, and that's why they have recommendations.

King Arthur has really good bread baking recipes too. I used several over the years.

They also have some interesting sponge starters worth trying. They give breads more interesting flavors and textures. Subtle, but yummy.

Audrey

Apparently they use them quite a bit in their own "test" kitchens, and that's why they have recommendations.

King Arthur has really good bread baking recipes too. I used several over the years.

They also have some interesting sponge starters worth trying. They give breads more interesting flavors and textures. Subtle, but yummy.

Audrey

Wow, their website is a treasure trove of information! I have already found a few recipes I want to try. Thanks!

Thanks, Martha. I have experimented with no knead type doughs before and I did have some good results. But I think that kneading does improve the texture of the bread, at least for the kind of breads I usually make. It's a question of personal preference I think. Your link however shows a very intriguing way to bake bread (in a cast iron pot) which I will definitely investigate further.

Zojirushi is one of the top brands in small kitchen appliances in Japan. Don't have one of their bread makers, but nothing else I have ever bought from them has ever broken. Fwiw...

R

Zojirushi is one of the top brands in small kitchen appliances in Japan. Don't have one of their bread makers, but nothing else I have ever bought from them has ever broken. Fwiw...

R

That's good to know, thanks. I had never heard of that brand until I started researching bread machines.

I have a bread machine moldering on a shelf somewhere. I used it some, then I became gluten intolerant and I have't eaten any bread of any type for 15 years now. I kind of miss it, but not nearly as much as I thought I would, even though I went kind of overboard about it before.

ha

Somebody gave us a bread machine some years back. It got used some, but not enough to waste counter/cabinet space so off to Goodwill it went.

Recently, [-]while smoking crack[/-] I was watching videos on WSJ and [-]went crazy[/-] was inspired by a video on no-knead sourdough bread.

I love sour dough bread, and the real deal is hard to find around here, so I decided to give it a try. I mean, what the hell, I'm [-]stupid[/-] retired and have time and money to [-]piss away[/-] do stuff like this, right? And how hard could it be?

Ordered the sourdough starter from KA and grew that bad boy (which went well) and proceeded to make my first sourdough brick. It seems making good sourdough bread is something of an art form. And everyone has radically different recipes and techniques. I know because I tried about 20 of them. Now, I tend to go [-]insane,[/-] [-]overdo[/-], rise to challenges, so it became [-]an obsession[/-] a goal. Nobody stands in my way, not even 12 billion tiny flour-eating microbes!

God alone knows how much I spent on KA flour. And then there was the vital need to buy a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, but hey, I got it for a $100 off normal price and a rebate in the form of an ice cream making attachment (anybody got a good recipe for sugar free ice cream?). But in the end, I won and the microbes became my bitches. My kids eat the stuff and the neighbors are demanding more. That Pillsbury Dough-boy dude ain't got nothing on me.

So, I think I'll hold off on the bread maker for a while. I keep looking at the stand mixer with feelings that alternate between machine lust and self-loathing for spending the money. But I make some killer brownies with it.

That King Arthur sourdough starter is a pretty incredible one. We carried one batch around for well over 10 years and I have a couple of bits in the freezer if I ever want to reconstitute it.

But we used it to mostly make sourdough pancakes, rarely sourdough bread. The pancakes were awesome - but another "bready" thing I just don't eat much anymore.

Yes, I think sourdough bread is an art form, and I think to get the best results it helps to be in the right geographic climate. There is a reason so much sourdough bread comes from San Francisco. But lots of experimentation is how you would get the best results possible in your area.

S And then there was the vital need to buy a Kitchen Aid stand mixer.....

So, I think I'll hold off on the bread maker for a while. I keep looking at the stand mixer with feelings that alternate between machine lust and self-loathing for spending the money. But I make some killer brownies with it.

I think you're already set. The stand mixer is a really good sub for a bread machine. The paddle blade is perfect for the initial kneading. It really whips the dough and that helps the gluten threads develop. Then you switch to the dough hook for subsequent kneading. Bowl is plenty big for the risings until you do the final shape and rise. You have to do your own timing, but bread dough is very flexible in terms of how long you can delay between stages. Did you know you can just through bread dough in the refrig and bake the next day? Or even through in the freezer for some other day?

I took a bread baking class to learn to make several varieties of French breads and we used the stand mixer. Definitely give it a try.

Another excellent reference for home european style artisan bread baking (beyond the KA recipes) for me was this book:Amazon.com: The Il Fornaio Baking Book: Sweet and Savory Recipes from the Italian Kitchen: Franco Galli

Audrey

So there is the potential for substantial savings by making home bread again.
I once calculated the cost at <$1 per loaf, but you know you're not going to save money if you spend $214 for a bread machine. :cool:

Garage sales - $5 to $15.

I don't see any advantage to horizontal bread (you can rotate it after you remove it from the pan ;) ), and it would mean you'll have two paddles to clean, which is the worst part of bread making.

Also, you don't want to make really large loaves unless there are a lot of people in your household. Yes, it will last, but it tastes the best soon after making it. I don't know if you can make smaller loaves with that machine. With a vertical pan, you can make a smaller loaf, and the slices are still the same size.

I once calculated the cost at <$1 per loaf, but you know you're not going to save money if you spend $214 for a bread machine.

Garage sales - $5 to $15.

I don't see any advantage to horizontal bread (you can rotate it after you remove it from the pan ;) ), and it would mean you'll have two paddles to clean, which is the worst part of bread making.

Also, you don't want to make really large loaves unless there are a lot of people in your household. Yes, it will last, but it tastes the best soon after making it. I don't know if you can make smaller loaves with that machine. With a vertical pan, you can make a smaller loaf, and the slices are still the same size.

I must confess that the horizontal loaf requirement is purely for aesthetic reasons. The cleaning is not really a problem (since DW is in charge of that ;)).

As for the savings, this is what I figure:

DW and I eat lots of bread, this is a major staple of our diet. Between us, we eat about 1 lb of bread per day. Given the fact that the Zo's machine has a 2lb pan, I suspect that the loaf would last us only about 2 days.
I currently spend roughly $3/day on bread, that's $1,095 per year. Assuming I make 1 loaf every other day for about $1/loaf, the bread machine could be paid off in a matter of months.

Back
Top Bottom