So what will be the benefit? She asked.

Definitely the year-round lawn and garden maintenance is a big benefit of our 55+ community. Very efficient - a team comes in and has the neighborhood done in two days. We don't have to worry about contracts, etc.

DH wouldn't mind a bigger yard - more space, more privacy. But that is too much to take care of!!! When we went full-time RV we were so happy to leave the mowing behind! We still do some of our own plant trimming, as we are very particular about our butterfly garden and the seasons, but the landscape team picks up our trimmings.

We looked at some of the retirement communities in our town but they are really expensive. OUr yard is low maintenance because we put in astro-truf. We bought expensive stuff so it looks nice. Also since we are usually in a drought except for this year it is good for the environment too. We bought this home 5 years ago because it was single story, smaller, etc. We enlarged the doorways, put in high toilets, etc in case we ever need that.

The golf community isn't for us ...tiny impractical garages -sure your car would just fit but it is too tight. Over $400k for an impractical garage? Can't do it...

I have not posted in a while but recently moved from SC to a 55+ community in FL. Looked at communities in NV and UT but chose FL. I pay $45 per month for mowing services. We have most of the amenities and clubs that others have discussed for a $125 per month fee. Love the fact that when we vacation I can lock the house and leave and not worry. Main reason for moving was the fact that we will never be grandparents and the 7% tax on IRA distributions and Roth conversions in SC.

Good idea for some but I do think an important part of the college experience is being away from mom and dad and living on your own, relying yourself and learning how to live and get along with others.

The "college experience" can be very expensive. Getting a college education can be much less.

The career earnings value of the college experience, particularly getting along with other people, is much more than the cost in many cases IMO.

My thinking is turn key home up north - that means I don't do the maintenance and something similar down south - perhaps we will rent there at first. Florida still can be inexpensive... still my SILs still managed to pay $450k for their homes there...

The college experience....
This week my oldest will graduate from state U - I spent about $100 grand for her 4 years. There was the learn abroad in Australia, the yearly trips to habitat for humanity. It was all money well spent. She killed it, great grades and landed a nice starting salary job that she found on her own. She is a well spoken confident young lady with a breadth of experience. Expensive? Not really you could spend 60k+ a year at Villanova.

A notable quote
Large company Interviewer: "So xxxxx how did you get such a great GPA."
My daughter: "I worked hard"

The college experience is great if you can afford it. Is it necessary? nah, just nice to experience. My time away from the stress of home, all those years ago, was like a vacation... even with all the work.

Last edited:
Everyone sees a different part of the elephant, Ray.
When I looked at 55+ nearby in SJersey, it would cost more monthly. Taxes were still crazy. Add in an outrageous HOF. So I look at the current situation as costing us $1,000 per month, in rent to the State.

As for the upkeep and utilities, if you really love the location you're in, it might pay to weather on (lol), and work towards a move in 3-4 years. Meanwhile, pay for improvements to make the situation more cost-effective, and increase home value.

OTH, it's your enchilada to enjoy. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom