Join Early Retirement Today

Re: So..........When will Exxon Let me Buy This in the USA??
Old 05-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
You could accomplish just about the same thing with smaller displacement engines but PEOPLE DON'T LIKE TO DRIVE THEM.
Like guys with a Beemer and an S2000.............

Sorry..................

I have NO problems driving my 4 cylinder Accord...........just got 29.5 mpg on my last tankful with a 50/50 mix of city/highway driving..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2007, 11:38 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

38-47 MPG with our '02 Echo. It doesn't feel weak, but it does feel light. It blows around a bit in high wind, but it's really very nice to drive. The newer Echos and the Yaris' get lower MPGs.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:53 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude

Sorry..................

I have NO problems driving my 4 cylinder Accord...........just got 29.5 mpg on my last tankful with a 50/50 mix of city/highway driving..........
Exactly! But hey, I did a 200 mile cruise in my S2000 last weekend and got 25mpg with the top down. I know a lot of much more boring cars that can't match that.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:32 PM   #24

If I'm doing the math right, the Toyota Estima is about 187 inches long, and about 70 inches wide. That's kinda small for a minivan. Contrary to its name, the "mini" van ain't so mini anymore!

Madza makes some little thing called the Mazda5 or something like that, which is about that size range. I think it sells tolerably enough to keep them producing it, but a minivan that small is still a relatively niche-ish market.

Now if they started making hybrid versions of Odyssey/Sienna/Caravan-sized vehicles, I think that could be a winner.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #25

Ahh the CRX - I did get 50mpg in that - was able to drive from Phx to LA on one tank - loved that car - my colleague called it a 'roller skate' - yes, an accident in it was almost certain death - kind of like one in a smart car - those were fairly popular in Europe when I was there - although only for short trips - great thing about them was the ability to park in *very* small places - if you've ever driven or tried to park in the cities of Europe, you'll understand just how handy that really is--------could see the value of a smart car in SFO or NYC or one of those metropolises that are largely vertical and not horizontal (Phx or LA comes to mind) -other than that, a novelty and impractical-----Deserat
Old 05-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #26

On our latest trip we got 52 MPG driving at about 80 MPH a pretty good clip. Not bad for a Jetta diesel. We do much better when driving at about 60 MPH. I'm now waiting for this one in late 2008:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...4/b4007079.htm

Old 05-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude

Sorry..................

Most beemers today are not 4 cyl... and a S2000 has a 200HP engine... not like the ones in Europe...

As an example, the Accord in the UK came with a 1.8 liter engine or you could buy the BIGGER 2.0 liter... we got a 2.4 and 3.0 V6...

Another help overseas is there are a lot of manual transmission which get better gas mileage... even though that is getting less of a benefit..

I think that the diesels would be a good way to go... but I don't know if their particulates have been reduced... if so, then great... if not, I am not sure..
Old 05-02-2007, 02:13 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
Why? To date the hybrid technology has been anything but impressive. All the hybrid equipment does is add weight and cost. You could accomplish just about the same thing with smaller displacement engines but PEOPLE DON'T LIKE TO DRIVE THEM.
I don't think that is accurate. The motor/battery in a hybrid provides a boost to acceleration for a car with a small displacement engine. You get better overall performance with an even smaller engine. And, the regenerative braking reclaims energy that would be wasted as heat - a non-hybrid cannot do that (do hot brake pads contribute to global warming?<j/k>).

And, if people do not like to drive cars with small displacement engines, then nothing is accomplished is it? The hybrid can combine efficiency with good acceleration, and is flexible enough to pull some tricks to further lower pollution, like stopping the engine at a red light.

Now, if you state that hybrids are not economically impressive, you have an arguable point, IMO.

to the OP - what the heck does Exxon have to do with this? Are we back to conspiracy theories?

-ERD50

Old 05-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
Ito the OP - what the heck does Exxon have to do with this? Are we back to conspiracy theories?

-ERD50
Yes.................

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Some of us are old enough to remember "Nixxon"... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
Now, if you state that hybrids are not economically impressive, you have an arguable point, IMO.
Yep. Hybrids are technological marvels, but not as economical as run-of-the-mill econocars.

I look forward to the day when a Toyota Prius is as economical as the Corolla, over a long term, say 10 years. I would even settle for a 15 year break even period.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Everyone remember why Exxon is called Exxon? IIRC, the original name, Esso, meant "breakdown" is some foreign language. So Esso paid megabucks to a consultant to come up with a name that had no negative connotation in other languages. They guy came up with "Exxon" because there was no word with double Xs in it.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

It looks like hybrids are becoming more economical with high gas prices and incentives, including tax incentives.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...9E4271A42E7%7D
Old 05-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Everyone remember why Exxon is called Exxon? IIRC, the original name, Esso, meant "breakdown" is some foreign language. So Esso paid megabucks to a consultant to come up with a name that had no negative connotation in other languages. They guy came up with "Exxon" because there was no word with double Xs in it.
Hmm... Interesting. I did not know that. Esso was very popular in VN before 1975.

I know that GM had problem with there Nova (no go) sedan, and had to change the name in certain markets.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

It was not only Esso... here in Texas (at least Houston) it was Humble... and I think there were a few other names...

Surprisingly, you can still see some Esso signs overseas... I assume they are still part of Exxon..
Old 05-03-2007, 06:19 AM   #36

I get 48-49 MPG in my diesel VW Jetta. It has a lot of torque and is fun to drive.

Looks like diesel fuel is finally cheaper than gas, too.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Looks like diesel fuel is finally cheaper than gas, too.
I watch gas prices closely and it seems to flip-flop with gas being cheaper some days, then diesel being cheaper other days. The good thing about diesel is you can make you own fuel, if you want to go through the hassle. I've seen people claim it cost them about $.20 per gallon to make a passable fuel for their diesel engines. Assuming these people estimate low, it is still seems cheaper to make it rather then buy it. It is kind of difficult to make gasoline.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:07 AM   #38

This is the one I'm waiting for. It's supposed to have a CVT transmission, get 60 mpg, and burn cleaner than a Prius using bio-diesel. Scroll down to see the British diesel mini-van:

http://dieselblog.net/category/biodiesel-news/
Old 05-03-2007, 10:57 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
I watch gas prices closely and it seems to flip-flop with gas being cheaper some days, then diesel being cheaper other days. The good thing about diesel is you can make you own fuel, if you want to go through the hassle. I've seen people claim it cost them about $.20 per gallon to make a passable fuel for their diesel engines. Assuming these people estimate low, it is still seems cheaper to make it rather then buy it. It is kind of difficult to make gasoline.
Any info on how to make??
Old 05-03-2007, 01:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
Any info on how to make??
There are many web pages that give information on mixing biodiesel. There are also several places that will convert a diesel engine to run on vegetable oil and use diesel only on startup and shut down. Both of these do have drawbacks, but it's still cheaper than buying fuel and easier than making gasoline.