Study - Slobby guys create more work for wives

Could there be a reason that some of us find dating preferable to marriage??

Let's see.

Instead of spending all Saturday washing his dirty clothes, we do our own during the week and spend Saturday browsing through our favorite antique shops together.

Instead of slaving over a hot stove, he takes me out to fine restaurants to eat.

Instead of picking up after him all afternoon, I enjoy afternoons with him at a great movie or off on a pleasant drive.

And on, and on...

Yes! Personally, right now I happen to prefer dating to being married. Each to his/her own!

My SO is messy and I pick up after him . He in turn just replaced the front door ,handles all the pool problems ,caught the racoon that invaded the house ,does most of the tree trimming ,takes out the garbage , cooks when I don't feel like it ,takes care of me when I'm sick and makes great omelets for Sunday breakfast so it's a fair trade off ! Plus he keeps the bed warm .

My SO is messy and I pick up after him . He in turn just replaced the front door ,handles all the pool problems ,caught the racoon that invaded the house ,does most of the tree trimming ,takes out the garbage , cooks when I don't feel like it ,takes care of me when I'm sick and makes great omelets for Sunday breakfast so it's a fair trade off ! Plus he keeps the bed warm .
Each to her own! But I heard somewhere that keeping the bed warm doesn't actually require a marriage license (sssh!! I didn't say that)

Lucky guy. Ok I'm not good with home repairs, but the rest is doable. I'm available if something happens.O0

Wait just a minute! What goes around comes around...I spend time:

Taking care of her car for her
Building things she wants
Searching for things she wants
Cooking for her when she has her friends over
Cooking every weekend including some prep for the week ahead
Working more overtime hours to buy her nice things (younger days, not paid OT now)
Caring for her parents in both physical and monetary contributions

ETC, ETC, ETC.

Remember that my DW is a stay-at-home mom and homemaker, and I am a very senior executive with lots of late work and lots of travel, but still try to devote lots of time to my marraige, home and family.

Let's not forget that a successful marraige is a partnership where each partner gives 100%. A 50/50 contribution does not work, never has and never will. The reason so many marraiges fail is because one or the other or both want to give less than 100% to the partnership. From the male perspective I can see that it probably is more often the man who isn't willing to give his 100%, but that is not always the case.

I know I might get some grief for this post, but it is what I truly believe. All of this said, I don't judge anyone who is divorced, because that is a very personal decision with personal reasons and circumstances that are myriad and have multiple perspectives. I do say that most could work harder at making it work, though. Marraige has become too easy to just give up.

Bottom line: Yes her work load on some things increases, but so does his.

R

Good because we are not married ! Just living in wild sin !

Yep - the cooking and cleaning I can mostly put up with - BUT there is one room she can't touch, my computer room which I keep - wildly and creatively sloppy to remind me (of what I'm not really sure) - but I know it's a 'guy thing'!

er ah I think??

heh heh heh - :rolleyes: :D.

We each have our own little stashes of stuff that the other isn't allowed to touch. But we work together to keep the common areas around the house neat and tidy. My shop gets a little messy when I'm on a big project but that's my space and it's in the garage so no one sees it but me. DW has one bedroom that gets a little trashed out with seasonal clothes once in a while.

In the kitchen there is a magnet on the fridge that says,
This is a self cleaning kitchen
Clean up after yourself!
The cook is off duty!

Years ago when we first got married my parents would call once in a while and say they were going to stop by in a little while. :eek: OMG, we had just 25 minutes to get the place shipshape. I was usually putting the vacuum in the closet when the doorbell rang. :p

Different people do it different ways I guess. We're both on the same page on this as in so many other things. (Maybe that's why the marriage works? Duh.)

I hang up my stuff, wouldn't think of leaving it lying around for her to pick up. Cooking/cleaning is split pretty much evenly, although she is a little more fussy about dust bunnies than I am. I can iron my own shirts. I do windows and bathrooms.

Shortly after we got married she'd had a long day and said something about she "had to iron my shirts". I told her that we both worked 40-hour weeks and who did she think ironed my shirts before we got married? But her mother was a stay-at-home-mom, and did the ironing, so I think she carried that expectation into the marriage.

The workshop however, is a different story. That is MY room and things may appear unorganized to the untrained eye but I know where everything is.

Wags, do you have youtube memorized? You seem to have a song or video for every occasion:).

I love music and as my dear departed mother once told me that music and songs have a way of curing the soul and thus if someone does not like you or is mad at you it is next to impossible for them to remain that way after they have heard a good song.

With that being said here is another Jim Croce song
YouTube - Jim Croce - I Got a Name (1973)

GOD BLESS US ALL

Sounds like a good philosphy. Seems like too many people can't disagree on ideas without it turning to anger or hate.

DW is the sloppy one so I usually pick up after her. I also do all the yard work, clean the floors, vacuum the carpets, fix the cars, fix the motorhome, fix the house, wash my clothes ( she does her own), take care of the dogs, do the dishes, cook a few times a week, do the bills and fiances, take care of the yard, etc. I was brought up doing these things and more by my mother and dad who shared the house work load.

My mother raised us to be independent. We were taught to iron, clean, sew, and cook. My dad taught us to fix and build stuff and do yard work. I don't need anyone to pick up after me. I managed to survive very well on my own for a number of years and do so today to a great extent due to my wife's health issues.

Oh, and I keep the bed warm for DW and the dogs. I guess I must put out a lot of heat because I am popular all winter.

DW is the sloppy one so I usually pick up after her. I also do all the yard work, clean the floors, vacuum the carpets, fix the cars, fix the motorhome, fix the house, wash my clothes ( she does her own), take care of the dogs, do the dishes, cook a few times a week, do the bills and fiances, take care of the yard, etc. I was brought up doing these things and more by my mother and dad who shared the house work load.

My mother raised us to be independent. We were taught to iron, clean, sew, and cook. My dad taught us to fix and build stuff and do yard work. I don't need anyone to pick up after me. I managed to survive very well on my own for a number of years and do so today to a great extent due to my wife's health issues.

Oh, and I keep the bed warm for DW and the dogs. I guess I must put out a lot of heat because I am popular all winter.

Hey Steve.. I was taught the same. Learn how to cook and sew..clean. Stereotypes got to love em. Though sometimes its good to play along ;)

I.m in the same boat as you SteveR. Not only is the wife a slob but my two daughters have inherited the affliction,i'd say i do 90% of all housework which takes some time every day and usually gets me wondering why i bother because the rest of the family certainly doesnt care,about the only thing the wife does is the laundry, and of course now that i'm retired every one thinks that i have all the time in the world to be the house slave:rolleyes:I saw a show on Oprah last week about a woman with a cluttered house and i was thinking yup i'm not far away,we are at the point where there is no place to put anything so the place seems to be in total chaos,obviously friends havent been over to our house in years:rolleyes:
OK enough whining i've got 2 loads of dishes to do.

Hey Steve.. I was taught the same. Learn how to cook and sew..clean. Stereotypes got to love em. Though sometimes its good to play along ;)

I know what you mean. Second wife was a real clean-freak and organizer. I just let her go and she did it all. I was not messy so it made life easier for her and her top notch organizing and hyper-clean desires matched mine pretty well. I just did the outside stuff, mechanical stuff and the bills. Current DW is on the opposite side of the scale so I have to do the lion's share of the pickup and put away routine.

My brother is a PIG. You would never know we were raised in the same house. He leaves a trail of stuff in his wake as he moves through the world. His wife is an angel and put up with it but it would drive me nuts. He would be the poster child for this thread. :cool:

My brother is a PIG. You would never know we were raised in the same house. He leaves a trail of stuff in his wake as he moves through the world. His wife is an angel and put up with it but it would drive me nuts. He would be the poster child for this thread. :cool:

I wonder how his dwelling would look if he lived alone. Would he pick up his stuff if no one else did?

I wonder how his dwelling would look if he lived alone. Would he pick up his stuff if no one else did?
My ex was like that, but has never lived alone. First he lived with his parents, then on the ship while in the Navy, then with me, then (after divorce) with my daughter, and now he's living with his parents again. He is 58 now and I doubt he will ever live alone.

At least by now I presume he has learned to write a check. He never had done that during his first half century of life.

Back
Top Bottom