Sunday Dinner and Supper

these are great memories to remember i've enjoyed reading yours....

i just had another one while reading the thread - i hope i'm not the only one here that got to enjoy eating dinner (sometimes a swanson fried chicken tv dinner) on a technological breakthrough the tv dinner tray while watching the tv ....

PS: the tv dinner tray importance in american life maybe probably for the worst? i think is not given enough attention - it made it OK to leave the dinner table gather in front of the tv and eat - instead of conversation among the family however little or great there was around the table - there was now a passive shared experience with not so much conversation or maybe it helped create opportunities for more - depends...

On Sundays mother would serve the big Sunday meal in the early - mid afternoon..it was called dinner...there was no lunch on sundays never on sundays...this was chicago...mother was from a midwestern farm

sometime in the evening we had supper which was usually sandwiches from the leftovers from dinner....i can remember watching elvis while eating a meatloaf sandwich and the beatles while eating a lightly buttered salted and peppered cold chicken breast on white bread sandwich with cold glasses of whole milk......

i grew up thinking this was pretty common..not so sure it was or is lately?

is this foreign to anyone of youse...

what was the custom at your house and where did you live

I can relate! Born and raised on the South-Side of Chicago so "USE GUYS" listen up and I'll tell USE GUYS a CUPLA 2 or Tree things!

Sunday we ate our big meal around 2 PM. Later in the evening while grandma was watching Julia Child's and mom had the Tom Jones show on flipping back and forth between him and Lawrence Welk.....we ate sandwiches, Italian Beef, Perogi's, etc.................

I remember those days like they were yesterday! :)

Every once in awhile when I'm at the deli counter the bologna or the pickle & pimento loaf draws me in and I long for just one sandwich for old times sake but so far I've held off . I walk away with the oven roasted turkey still longing for bologna .

Before RE I sometimes gave in to that urge and picked up a pre-make poor boy sandwich at the deli. It usually was on a rainy frustrating day a w*rk; they were so big I'd keep 1/2 of it for another day. Haven't craved bologna since retiring, may lose some weight yet.:D

I'm a southern boy. German grits? Come on. :LOL:

My DH loves southern style grits with eggs, over easy, and sausage or bacon on the side. He likes to mix the grits up with the eggs. I always thought this was kinda wierd until I met a fella from Mississippi who informed me this was the proper way to eat grits. Not much into grits myself, but DH swears I cook 'em up just right.

I have not heard of Goetta. I remember eating breakfast consisting of Cream of Wheat and Fried Mush (cornmeal sliced and fried) with syrup. I usually order Fried Mush at Bob Evan's Restaurant!

I had peanut butter sandwiches every day for lunch in elementary school. I still like peanut butter!

Every once in awhile when I'm at the deli counter the bologna or the pickle & pimento loaf draws me in and I long for just one sandwich for old times sake but so far I've held off . I walk away with the oven roasted turkey still longing for bologna .
Fried bologna, topped with melted American processed cheese and French's yellow mustard on white bread was a favorite snack I would share with my Mom on her 1 day off. Nice memories...:)
I splurge on real bologna and make that every once in a while. I freeze the leftover bologna in ziplocs for the next time.
Making that sandwich makes me feel like a kid again. :clap:

I have not heard of Goetta. I remember eating breakfast consisting of Cream of Wheat and Fried Mush (cornmeal sliced and fried) with syrup. I usually order Fried Mush at Bob Evan's Restaurant!

I had peanut butter sandwiches every day for lunch in elementary school. I still like peanut butter!

Once my mother tried to feed me 'fried mush'. I actually took a bite or two. When she left the kitchen I dumped it onto the back porch for the raccoons (something ate it).

these are great memories to remember i've enjoyed reading yours....

i just had another one while reading the thread - i hope i'm not the only one here that got to enjoy eating dinner (sometimes a swanson fried chicken tv dinner) on a technological breakthrough the tv dinner tray while watching the tv ....

PS: the tv dinner tray importance in american life maybe probably for the worst? i think is not given enough attention - it made it OK to leave the dinner table gather in front of the tv and eat - instead of conversation among the family however little or great there was around the table - there was now a passive shared experience with not so much conversation or maybe it helped create opportunities for more - depends...

Yep - and we were tortured with Lawrence Welk on black and white tv.

Also took years before I would go near Swanson Hungry Man, Quaker Oats, Ralston Purina, or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

heh heh heh - :D

Back
Top Bottom