Supermoon

I went outside about midnight last night. Nearest light from any town :LOL: is 15+ miles away so not an issue. The weather was clear and cool and the moonlight was brighter than I can ever recall seeing. I couldn't really notice any difference in the size of the moon but the difference in moonlight brightness was noticeable.

It's effecting the tides dramatically. Normally winter has higher tides and sand removal (which returns in the spring)... but the sand removal is happening sooner in the fall this year - especially this past week.

High tides were up to the sea wall this morning when I was walking the dog. It's supposed to be over the sea wall tomorrow morning. I'll try to snap some photos of the tide effect due to the super-moon.

Good question. I've never tried.

Edit: Just looked it up and the answer is no.

Last edited:
Dog wanted to go outside at 3 AM last night and I was amazed that I didn't even need a flashlight because the moon was so bright. It definitely is a bright moon.

I believe is was Neil deGrasse Tyson who originally pointed out something like:

Supermoon is to regular moon as 16-inch pizza is to 15-inch pizza.

Would you really call a 16-inch pizza a "superpizza?"

"That's amore..."

I was impressed with how bright it was when I went to go look. I'll check again before bedtime.

It is so bright, I was able to read by the moonlight very easily.
I actually went outside last night about 10pm to try and read some of the mail I hadn't looked at yet. I could read it (but not easily). Maybe I should have tried again about midnight when the moon was directly overhead.

Last edited:
Took a shot of the supermoon at the Fountain Hills, Az fountain

25359669519_d7e777c8d3_b.jpg

Last edited:
It was cloudy every night until tonight, when it was clear and great weather for viewing the SuperMoon.

I was surprised by two things.

First, it seemed quite bright to me.
Second, I had been expecting it to look large, like a harvest moon, but it didn't. :( Oh well.

Ronstar - that picture is awesome. (Much better than my crappy cellphone pictures.)

The moonlight woke me up this morning. I'm skipping my usual early AM beach walk because super moons bring super high tides... and there won't be any beach to walk on at 7am (which is when the high tide will be.)

I'm really amazed that Chicago has had such clear skies during the past two weeks so we could see the moon at all. Sunlight all day, moonlight all night--really a nice fall to this point.

Am I the only one who sees the terrible cut & paste? Adjust your screen.

Sorry it doesn't meet your standards.

I put this together on the fly with 2 shots - the moon at 1/250 for detail and a 30" exposure to capture the fountain. Pasted the 1/250 moon into the 30" overall exposure on my laptop.

Reactions: W2R
Sorry it doesn't meet your standards.

I put this together on the fly with 2 shots - the moon at 1/250 for detail and a 30" exposure to capture the fountain. Pasted the 1/250 moon into the 30" overall exposure on my laptop.

I didn't mean to be harsh but on my laptop it is a very crude paste. If you or others can't see that I would suggest you adjust your screen. Also, if someone posts a composite I think it should be noted. My standards I suppose but that is your call.

Last edited:
I was out doing a running race on a rural rail trail the night before the peak. It was bright enough that a lot of people were running without a headlamp. At pre-dawn it was sitting low and reflecting off a misty pond. It was probably the best moon view I'd ever seen. Unfortunately it didn't come out well with a phone pic but I still have a pic in my mind.

If I did not know it was a super moon, I would never have noticed. And my life would not have changed.

At least I can check that off my list.

I didn't mean to be harsh but on my laptop it is a very crude paste. If you or others can't see that I would suggest you adjust your screen. Also, if someone posts a composite I think it should be noted. My standards I suppose but that is your call.

Where is your photo? It isn't showing up at all on my computer screen. Please link so that I can compare your own work in photographing the supermoon, with Ron's very pretty photo.

Last edited:

I also think it should have been noted that it was a composite. Heck, maybe the composite makes the moon look bigger and/or brighter than it actually would have been if not done this way? It's a little misleading, so why not just mention it?

Not a big deal, but that's my input.

The quality of the cut & paste is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, other than it made it fairly obvious that something 'funny' was going on.

-ERD50

I also think it should have been noted that it was a composite. Heck, maybe the composite makes the moon look bigger and/or brighter than it actually would have been if not done this way? It's a little misleading, so why not just mention it?

Not a big deal, but that's my input.

The quality of the cut & paste is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, other than it made it fairly obvious that something 'funny' was going on.

-ERD50

I always mention composites on Flickr - a photographic site. I didn't here because this is not a photo site. I don't get technical here. Besides - I kept the moon the same size and brightness in the composite as I did in the original photo. So this is what it looked like to the naked eye.

The only reason I did a composite was to get moon clarity/brightness with fountain clarity/ brightness. The only way to do that in pitch darkness was to shoot at 2 different shutter speeds.

I apologize if I alarmed you. I should have posted this.
19649537434_0af7e24b35_k.jpg

Back
Top Bottom