Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Guess you don't know roofers who do it to spec, or you don't have any winds in your area.

Owens Corning Roofing: Estimating Materials for your Roofing Project
"
You will also need to determine the amount of nails you'll need. Generally, you should use four nails per shingle. For regular three-tab shingles, this would require 320 nails per square. For high wind areas or when shingles are being applied to a mansard, six nails per shingle are required (480 nails per square). This is based on 80 shingles per square."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
This is a biased opinion from a company that makes money from consumers. You can put as many nails in as you want...its not going to hurt anything. Whether is necessary or not is a matter of opinion. Ive never come across real data that supports this claim.
+1@Sunset. This is why newer building codes in high wind areas, such as South Florida, mandate more and longer nails, and carefully inspect installation. It's not just the cost of the nails, it's also the additional labor. All extra cost for the roofer, so not something typically proposed by a fly-by-night type. Short or insufficient nails are a problem 10 years down the road, when shingles are loose, nails bent and rusting, and rot sets in the wood.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 10:11 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
They make money from selling shingles, NOT nails.
Why would they want you to buy more nails ?

They probably want your shingles to NOT fall off, as you will blame them when it happens.
lol...next you're going to tell me dealerships dont upcharge for car parts. do what you want to do. show me the data...ill leave it at that. byyzzeee
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The roof
Old 08-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The roof

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1470445215.866925.jpg

They opened up the ceiling and Yeah it's leaking.... Now I need to chase up the home office and ask what are you doing for me...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
They opened up the ceiling and Yeah it's leaking.... Now I need to chase up the home office and ask what are you doing for me...
Is there access to the attic? If so, I don't know why they couldn't look for the leak without cutting through the ceiling??
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:47 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
lol...next you're going to tell me dealerships dont upcharge for car parts. do what you want to do. show me the data...ill leave it at that. byyzzeee
Code up here is 4 nails per shingle, and on 12/12 or greater pitch roof, 6 nails must be used. Staples are not allowed, ice and water shield must be used in certain areas, and depending on which province, an underlayment may be required on the entire roof.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
The roof
Old 08-06-2016, 06:43 AM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Is there access to the attic? If so, I don't know why they couldn't look for the leak without cutting through the ceiling??

Yes attic, no access to that specific spot - we took out a bunch of wet insulation I'll call them on Monday...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote