Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

66 during the day, 57 at night. When the outside temp is 20-something, it generally takes until morning for the inside temp to drop to 57.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I don't understand threads like this. To me, this is like asking "how much pepper do you use on your eggs? Maybe I should reconsider how much pepper I use on my eggs based on your inputs?"

You can't stoke our curiosity like that then leave us hanging.

How much pepper *do* you put on your eggs?

Old 11-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-nyc View Post
You can't stoke our curiosity like that then leave us hanging.

How much pepper *do* you put on your eggs?
I'll estimate this at ~ 5 flecks per square inch of egg surface area. This is a medium-coarse grind. I insist on fresh ground.

I find 7 flecks per square inch to approach the point where the pepper is overpowering the rather subtle egg taste. But 3 flecks per square inch does not provide the extra 'kick' that I prefer. I may also use a 'dash' of hot sauce in addition to or in place of the black pepper, depending on mood.

How about you?

-ERD50
Old 11-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

62-63 during the day, 60 overnight.

Although, we are building a net zero house where we expect to basically use the solar gain from the sun on sunny days and not need to heat on those days, or the following night.
Of course, we get lots of cloudy days in the winter, so we will still be paying for heat 67% to 75% of the time (rough guess).
Old 11-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #65

I just do salt but tomorrow morning I'll give pepper a try.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

One of the benefits of LBYM for so many years, is that I can live comfortably and not have to worry about saving every nickel and dime at the expense of comfort.

We keep the thermostats set at the same temp 24/7. This house does not warm up or cool down quickly. We keep the living level at 75 deg and the sleeping level at 68. However, we do have huge south-facing windows. 3 @ 5ft x 9 ft. In the winter, if there is a reasonable amount of sun, we have to open the windows. For example, today it is ~11 deg outside, With only the shades open on one of the windows, it is already 79 deg on the living level. It is warm, but..... I'd rather be warm and open the window than bundle up andfreeze. For an extra 250 bucks a year, it ain't worth the suffering.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
One of the benefits of LBYM for so many years, is that I can live comfortably and not have to worry about saving every nickel and dime at the expense of comfort. ...
Rather presumptuous, don't you think?
I, for one, find it quite comfortable at 63 degrees and enjoy it even cooler while sleeping.

Sounds like you have the first half of the passive solar idea.
With a thermal mass to absorb the heat, your house won't overheat in the day, and it then releases that heat at night.

Probably not worth retrofitting, except possibly using water tanks. Congratulations on such a well insulated house
Old 11-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

I keep mine at 68 and turn it off at night, I should probably just turn it down to 60. I live in Houston. When it's hot I keep the a/c between 75-78 depending how many people are in the house.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
One of the benefits of LBYM for so many years, is that I can live comfortably and not have to worry about saving every nickel and dime at the expense of comfort. ...
Rather presumptuous, don't you think?
I, for one, find it quite comfortable at 63 degrees and enjoy it even cooler while sleeping.
Agreed. I don't find 75 comfortable at all. And 68 is way too warm for us for sleeping. Just once or twice I forgot to turn the heat down, and we woke up and it felt terrible. I got up and turned it down.

Quote:
Sounds like you have the first half of the passive solar idea.
With a thermal mass to absorb the heat, your house won't overheat in the day, and it then releases that heat at night.

Probably not worth retrofitting, except possibly using water tanks. Congratulations on such a well insulated house
I used to like the idea of thermal mass, but now I'm getting away from it. I like the fact that I can turn the heat down (essentially 'off' - ~ 50F), whenever I leave the house. Why heat it when I'm not there? And wen I get home, turn it back, and the warm circulating air has me comfortable in no time.

And when we go to sleep at night, why keep the air warmer for more than the time it takes to get warmed up under the covers? That is all wasted heat. Sure, it may be 'free' with solar, but if I would need to supplement it, it could take a long time.

-ERD50
Old 11-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

About 68-70 during the day.

About 58 at night.

Except when the thermometer drops much below 36 degrees. My heating units just work to hard to warm the house up as the temperature approches and then goes below the freezing point. So, I actually keep the house a bit warmer at that time.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

I turn it up to 68 when at home during the day or after w##k but then get too hot and turn it back down to 65. The thermostats at 62 while at w##k or sleeping. I like to sleep in a cold room with heavy covers - have a headache in the morning if I sleep in a warm room. I also have a great wall furnace with blower in the den. If I get chilled, I turn it up and stand in front of it for a few minutes. My house is older and large with single pane windows and no heating zones except for the separate den heating - keeping the temp at 68 or higher all the time would be expensive and extravagant to heat the entire house for one person. One retirement goal is to downsize and get a more energy efficient home.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #72

Humidity can have an impact on comfort, and thus the heating bill. Optimum winter humidity is 40, and the comfort range is 35 to 45.
In very dry, cold climates, the humidity level can make the air seem warmer, so keeping the humidity at a good level, may allow comfort at 1 or 2 degrees less on the thermometer.
There is much more to this, but overkill for me. For the scientific minded, try this explanation, but... don't say I didn't warn you.

USATODAY.com

Good luck...
Old 11-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #73

I've been running the gas logs for the past 5 hours, inside humidity is 51%. Outside it is 61%. Of course it is also 20 outside with a wind chill of 2. Just up the road NE from here about 60 miles, they are measuring the snowfall by the foot (western NY).

We got lucky this week as the winds blowing across Lake Erie sent the lake effect snow up towards Buffalo. Last Thursday we got hit with 15 inches when only 5 inches were predicted. It all depends on the direction of the winds across the lake as to who gets buried.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Thanks! You have piqued my curiosity. I will visit Wal-mart and inquire what devices they have to measure indoor humidity.
I just took a quick look online and found these: hygrometer - Walmart.com
Old 11-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Not just temp you have to account for, humidity is also a factor. Even in Central Florida we had an unusually cold winter in 2010 and I had humidifier to keep it from getting uncomfortably dry. Even with the thermostat set in the low 70s it felt like it was freezing with really low humidity. 70 actual temp feels like 66 at 25% RH.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:24 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I have lived in Florida for nineteen years and this is the earliest I ever put the heat on . I set it at 68 at night but 70 during the day .
Old 11-19-2014, 06:15 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have lived in Florida for nineteen years and this is the earliest I ever put the heat on . I set it at 68 at night but 70 during the day .
I put it on 72 last night and had to bump it up to 74 early morning. My side of the bed is against a single pane window and can just feel the cold radiating through. Once I got the chill off 74 was too hot.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:30 AM   #78

Side note on remote indoor/outdoor thermometers. Location of the outside sending device may have an effect on the readings. If the location is at a point near to the building, the exposure to sun or ambient heat can have a major effect on the reading. We have one sensor above the front door entrance to the house, and it reads 3 to 4 degrees warmer than the actual outside temperature. Another sensor is placed on our rear deck, and though it is not directly in the sun, the reflected heat from the afternoon western sun raises the temperature by 4 to 8 degrees. No big deal, but that may explain why your thermometer's outdoor temperature may vary from the weather bureau numbers.

We have a time/temp projection weather station that we found at our resale store for $4... Projects time and temp on ceiling and has multiple sensors for temps, humidity and a hi/lo memory, an atomic clock, and a phase of the moon indicator, so I can plan my seances.
La Crosse Technology 5 in. Color LCD Projection Alarm Clock with Moon phase-616-146A at The Home Depot
Old 11-19-2014, 06:47 AM   #79

Our house is set at 70 during the day and I know it dips down at night, but Im not sure how low. Maybe 65. I usually keep my workshop at 50 but boost it up to 60 when I'm working out there.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:21 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I just took a quick look online and found these: hygrometer - Walmart.com
I have this one:
AcuRite Digital Humidity and Temperature Monitor

I got it to measure the basement humidity to make sure its not too humid in summer as I have tools I don't want to rust up.

Its low cost ~$9, works well and show the high - low values for the day. It has a magnet on the back to stick it to something metal, it holds it fine.