thermostat setting for winter.

I have lived in Florida for nineteen years and this is the earliest I ever put the heat on . I set it at 68 at night but 70 during the day .

I have lived in Florida for nineteen years and this is the earliest I ever put the heat on . I set it at 68 at night but 70 during the day .
I put it on 72 last night and had to bump it up to 74 early morning. My side of the bed is against a single pane window and can just feel the cold radiating through. Once I got the chill off 74 was too hot.

Side note on remote indoor/outdoor thermometers. Location of the outside sending device may have an effect on the readings. If the location is at a point near to the building, the exposure to sun or ambient heat can have a major effect on the reading. We have one sensor above the front door entrance to the house, and it reads 3 to 4 degrees warmer than the actual outside temperature. Another sensor is placed on our rear deck, and though it is not directly in the sun, the reflected heat from the afternoon western sun raises the temperature by 4 to 8 degrees. No big deal, but that may explain why your thermometer's outdoor temperature may vary from the weather bureau numbers.

We have a time/temp projection weather station that we found at our resale store for $4... Projects time and temp on ceiling and has multiple sensors for temps, humidity and a hi/lo memory, an atomic clock, and a phase of the moon indicator, so I can plan my seances.
La Crosse Technology 5 in. Color LCD Projection Alarm Clock with Moon phase-616-146A at The Home Depot

Last edited:
Our house is set at 70 during the day and I know it dips down at night, but Im not sure how low. Maybe 65. I usually keep my workshop at 50 but boost it up to 60 when I'm working out there.

67 evening when we're still up, 62 over night, 55 during the day when wife is at work but never drops below 62 and we live in very cold climate.
We've spray foamed our last few homes and that stuff is flipping awesome. Our heating and cooling bills are next to nothing.

We are in MA and in a 30 yr old house. We updated the windows and doors 3 yrs ago. 6 yrs ago we installed a pellet stove insert. It has a thermostat witch we set to 68. That keeps our second floor at 66. I highly recommend these as they are carbon nuetral and reduced our oil and electric bill considerably. We now use about 800 gallons less oil per year. Cutting our use to 400. Our electric bill went down 20% per month during the winter as the water pump does not need to go on often. We don't need to change the temp in the house.

You do need to add pellets each day and clean the stove weekly.

Back
Top Bottom