Things I learned this summer

Nuiloa

Recycles dryer sheets
The weather this summer was the best that I can recall in 30 years. Sunshine every day; rain after midnight; only 2 hours of rain total in 6 weeks.

Because my mom passed away this past winter, I didn't have to leave the campground for extended visits with her, which meant I had 6 weeks off with no commitments.

So I pretended I was retired. And here's what I learned:

1) I have an almost unlimited capacity for sitting on beaches and doing nothing but reading, swimming and talking to other campers

2) I have a difficult time in motivating myself to do ANYTHING physical for any length of time (which explains why I had to chop kindling every night for the campfire, instead of stockpiling some)

3) 6 weeks was not enough time to determine if there is, in fact, a maximum limit to the amount of time I can stare at a lake and a bunch of trees before feeling the need for civilisation.

4) I don't mind dirt on my feet or smelling like a campfire.

5) I do mind horse flies, deer flies and mosquitoes

6) I am not willing to sacrifice a moment of sunshine and heat in order to go sightseeing..... which is going to be somewhat of a handicap because of the new RV. Guess I'll just plan to drive on rainy days.

7) I don't like dogs. More specifically, I don't like dog owners who sit beside their yapping beasts for hours on end but apparently can't hear them barking, even though everyone else within a half mile can.

8) Same with children. Have 'em if you want them, but shut them up once in awhile, whydon'tcha.

9) Same with bears. A little harder to control but at least you can't say that you're bored when they're on your campsite.

10) I'm soooooo ready to retire!

How did you know it was time to retire?

I like the story. It sounds like endless summer.

I love the sight and smell of my home in the woods (during the summer). Especially when I get back from a trip to the big city. It feels like a weight has been lifted off when I cross the township line.

How do I know it is (was) time to retire? Sounds too much like work on such a nice day.

I knew it was time to retire when the job I loved just wasn't fun any more.

I knew it was time to retire when the job I loved just wasn't fun any more...
...and I had more than enough $ accumulated based on any reasonable measure.

Great summary story OP (except I love dogs, mine doesn't yap...I agree yapping dogs are tiresome, but that reflects bad owners)!

Is it summer? (yeah, the mark of somebody who's been retired for a bit; I have enough of a problem of knowing the day of the week, and now you want me to know the season? :facepalm: )...

I think OP will eventually abandon such campgrounds for more remote places where there are no noisy dogs or children nearby. We have found many of them in our day. After 9 years, I am starting to hanker for some more fulfilling pursuits. But they are currently still low on my bucket list. ;)

Back
Top Bottom